Yo, keep outta my skyline! Empire State Building fights Steven Roth's plan for nearby

Harry

Um, i think you need to do a little more research about the climate in the 50's & 60's when it came to preserving railroad stuff, it's when we lost the most, lots of stations closed, lots of terminals were combined etc.

It's 100 years old last month, and is where the spectators, handlers & owners stay for the westminster dog show every year, and it has also played host to many important gatherings over the years, and the general areas are beautifully decorated, in fact there has been a call to restore the original columned front entrance, currently there is marble hung on the original columns, they are still underneath.

- A

Again, why should an old pit stop for people visiting the city should be saved, when more historically significant buildings were demolished? I think the ghosts of the PRR won't care too much.

Oh well. The owners of the Empire State Building shouldn't be complaining only a section of New Jersey and Queens can't see the Empire State Building. Overall the Empire State Building would still be visible from most of New York and New Jersey.

Your view in Queens won't be obstructed by this building, since this will be west of the ESB, not east.

Where can you not see it from Queens???

I guess the parts of Queens on the cusp of Nassau County, even then if you have access to a roof or a tall-ish building....

I'm gonna say this is kinda like 'divine intervention' or payback for the not lighting up for Mother Teresa :P

But seriously, I do think the location should be elsewhere. That or they should build a spire on top so it won't look like another glass building.

As for the twin towers - much as I'd love for them to come back, the new WTC design looks much nicer. I love the new towers over the old design with the twins and 3 ugly short buildings surrounding them.

At least they moved away from the awful design where the top floors of 1 WTC being hollow and the antenna being off center to resemble the SOL. The current design very much looks similar to the fallen tower. I just don't like how it's limited to the 'symbolic' height. What a waste...

Yeah like the Freedom Tower is being truthful. If you look at the office floor counts there would only be a total of 81 floors. Most of the 108 floors are mechanical or makes up the concrete base at the bottom which is only covered with glass. Even though the Twin Towers might look ordinary on the outside from far away the floor count still was officially 102 floors being used. Plus the lobby wasn't a cold concrete wall. That was what made the Twin Towers beautiful.

I'm gonna say this is kinda like 'divine intervention' or payback for the not lighting up for Mother Teresa :)

But seriously, I do think the location should be elsewhere. That or they should build a spire on top so it won't look like another glass building.

As for the twin towers - much as I'd love for them to come back, the new WTC design looks much nicer. I love the new towers over the old design with the twins and 3 ugly short buildings surrounding them.

At least they moved away from the awful design where the top floors of 1 WTC being hollow and the antenna being off center to resemble the SOL. The current design very much looks similar to the fallen tower. I just don't like how it's limited to the 'symbolic' height. What a waste...

But it's taller than the old towers by like 400' IIRC.

But it's taller than the old towers by like 400' IIRC.

More like just 40' taller and that's due to the antenna. Now if it was the building itself that was 1776' and then they added the antenna, then that would be slightly better while retaining that 'lame'* symbolic number.

*in the sense that it is the number used to cap the height than to go taller.

Archived