(AUS) Commuters hope to feel the serenity

Pakenhamtrain

From the Brisbane Times:

Commuters hope to feel the serenity

August 23, 2010 - 9:47AM

If you’re the type of commuter whose blood boils when an iPhone-enabled teen gets on your train and blasts you with the latest Lady Gaga hit, take heart.

The ‘‘quiet carriage’’ is on the way in Queensland’s south-east.

The state government is trialling the concept for three months from today, following complaints from commuters that mobile music and other devices are shattering their serenity.

Those in the last carriage of all trains will be asked not to talk loudly or use mobile phones and other noisy devices via, ironically, on-board announcements.

Posters will also ask commuters not to have loud conversations or use portable music players and other noisy devices in the last carriage.

“This trial initiative will allow commuters to read a book, work on their laptop or simply enjoy a quiet atmosphere while travelling to and from work,’’ Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said.

But it seems there’ll be no penalty for breaking the cone of silence, other than a displeased, ‘‘Shhhhh’’, from commuters contentedly reading or staring out the window in silence.

‘‘This initiative can only be successful through the courtesy and consideration of all commuters,’’ Ms Nolan said.

However opposition transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson said the state government had targeted the wrong "bad guys".

Although she supported the trial, Ms Simpson said the state government's efforts would be better directed at targeting criminals and vandals, rather than noisy commuters.

"People obviously have the choice of wanting a more peaceful journey, but they have the right to a safe journey,'' Ms Simpson said.

There have been 54 police on the dedicated Railway Squad for at least the past five years.

The state government last week announced it would fund 10 more positions on the squad, with five officers to begin work this year.

"Now they are dribbling out extra police after there has been a freeze for five to six years. They need to go a lot further than that,'' Ms Simpson said.

Robert Dow of commuter lobby group Rail Back on Track said the introduction of "quiet carriages'' may encourage better behaviour among commuters across the public transport network.

"The trial to designate the last carriage as a quiet carriage we are sure will resonate well with many commuters and we hope will become a permanent feature of the rail network,'' Mr Dow said.

"This is an important initiative in the broad sense as it is also a signal that there are considerate behavioural expectations when travelling on public transport for the benefit of the overall community.''

The trial will be held on all south-east Queensland services from today to November 22.

AAP with Marissa Calligeros

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/commuters-hope-to-feel-the-serenity-20100823-13cgk.html#poll

I hope it works.

I think this is a great idea! Perfect example..... I was on a bus today, and this lady next to me decided to browse through all her ring tones. Although there were a few songs that I like personally, I thought it was really rude as well as annoying! If it wasn't an RTS, I am quite sure I would have told her about herself! But sometimes, an RTS makes you forget about everything else that's going on in the world.....

I think this is a great idea! Perfect example..... I was on a bus today, and this lady next to me decided to browse through all her ring tones. Although there were a few songs that I like personally, I thought it was really rude as well as annoying! If it wasn't an RTS, I am quite sure I would have told her about herself! But sometimes, an RTS makes you forget about everything else that's going on in the world.....

You got that right about the RTS!

It's a pitty this idea isn't being trialed in Melbourne. I can think of a few Pakenham line services where the kids are just awful. Music, talking at each other that you can hear them from the other end of a 75ft car. School Holidays are soooo peaceful!

Archived