Construction Status of Thames River Bridge in New London

Fred G

As of 03/13/08, here is the status of the replacement and conversion to a vertical lift bridge:

03-13-08+Thames+River+Bridge+01.jpg

View from Groton bank of the river. You can see the old span that's being replaced and the new towers for the lift bridge.

03-13-08+Thames+River+Bridge+02.jpg

Here's a view from the Groton side and north of the railroad

03-13-08+Thames+River+Bridge+03.jpg

The new span under construction in New London. The plan is to float the new span in and replace the old one in a matter of a few days. Keep your fingers crossed :(

Thanks guys! I'll try to keep us posted on the progress. They're talking 4 days of interruption to replace the span. That's 4 days of I dunno what, whether it's 2 trains and a bus in between, or bustitution on the whole line. I have no idea or even if 4 days is realistic. We'll see :eek::).

Thanks guys! I'll try to keep us posted on the progress. They're talking 4 days of interruption to replace the span. That's 4 days of I dunno what, whether it's 2 trains and a bus in between, or bustitution on the whole line. I have no idea or even if 4 days is realistic. We'll see :eek::).

Sounds like a nightmarish situation. 4 days can seem like an eternity. It will interesting to hear about how it all worked out.

No bustitution. Service suspension between NHV and BOS for Amtrak.

SLE and the T will run to each of their destinations. Hopefully it's only 4 days (with the span completed, mother nature cooperating, and all else going well).

Thanks guys! I'll try to keep us posted on the progress. They're talking 4 days of interruption to replace the span. That's 4 days of I dunno what, whether it's 2 trains and a bus in between, or bustitution on the whole line. I have no idea or even if 4 days is realistic. We'll see :eek:;).

No bustitution. Service suspension between NHV and BOS for Amtrak.

SLE and the T will run to each of their destinations. Hopefully it's only 4 days (with the span completed, mother nature cooperating, and all else going well).

Ouch. It's June 14-17 btw. I hope it's only those 4 days.

Archived