Heavy Rains Causes Severe Flooding - NY1

Q85Rosedale

"The heavy rains are gone, but flooding continues to be an issue for some low-lying parts of the city.

Riders on the Q85 had to find another way home when the bus became submerged on Springfield Boulevard near 140th Avenue.

And some drivers were forced to abandon their cars after they became stuck in up to five feet of water. Those who got stuck say they thought they would be able to drive through it.

"Didn't know how deep it was, next minute, we're trapped,” said one driver. “And what could you do?"

"There was construction being done here because of the sewage problem, and they spent months trying to resolve the situation here, instead of it getting better, it got worse," said another.

"Three or four years ago the same thing happened, last year it happened again, and there's nobody doing anything about it,” said a third. “We lost everything. We don't get no reimbursement.”

At John F. Kennedy Airport, 1.77 inches of rain was reported yesterday. About an inch was reported at LaGuardia Airport. Central Park had about 1.7 inches of rain.

An additional .25-.44 inches of rain fell throughout the city since midnight.

The Red Cross is on the scene in Springfield Gardens, helping out homeowners who are dealing with flooding.

" - New York 1

Video & Article Here : http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/124215/heavy-rain-causes-severe-flooding

Sorry NX did not see it. My was updated from both the (MTA) website and WABC-TV which claims Pt Washington service is now running to NYP and rest of system is now shut down from 1140am today 8/23/10.

We can agree if you plan to use the LIRR right now more than likely you train is not running.

WOW that Q85 went for a swim, my poor home route lol.

However I'm not surprised, I remember scenes like that from the PBL days on the Q113, that area is always flooded plus that swamp is right there. I wouldn't be surprised if a dead body floated into the bus.

Never thought I'd say it but times like those (crazy flooding) call for high floors (RTS's in this case), however those would probably flood too.

Just passed Baisley & Bedell (near that new building) the water gets deep enough to penetrate an NG, not to mention about 3 intersections on Merrick near Roy Wilkins.

Archived