"Are The Pittsburgh Pirates Losing To Stay Profitable?"

EE Broadway Local

Interesting theory in this ESPN article, "Pittsburgh Pirates Win By Losing": http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5484947

True or not, at 41-83 as of today (Monday August 23d), 2010 will be the eighteenth consecutive losing season for this franchise which has not been to the National League Championship Series since 1992 and to the World Series since 1979.

It also brings up the "Large Market" Vs. "Small Market" issue. I guess teams such as the Orioles, Senators, Phillies, Pirates, Marlins, Rays, Padres, Giants, Athletics would be considered "small market" while teams such as the Yankees, Metropolitans, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Royals, Dodgers, Angels, Braves, Tigers would be considered "large market", no?

Interesting theory in this ESPN article, "Pittsburgh Pirates Win By Losing": http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5484947

True or not, at 41-83 as of today (Monday August 23d), 2010 will be the eighteenth consecutive losing season for this franchise which has not been to the National League Championship Series since 1992 and to the World Series since 1979.

It also brings up the "Large Market" Vs. "Small Market" issue. I guess teams such as the Orioles, Senators, Phillies, Pirates, Marlins, Rays, Padres, Giants, Athletics would be considered "small market" while teams such as the Yankees, Metropolitans, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Royals, Dodgers, Angels, Braves, Tigers would be considered "large market", no?

The Phillies play in the 4-5th biggest TV and radio market in US so no way they are a 'small market.' Ditto for the Giants playing in the SF Bay area.

The A's playing 'next door' is a small Market despite being in the Bay area.

Oakland is among the smallest cities population-wise currently with a MLB team.

On other hand the KC Royals would be considered a small market team.

Actually Paul, MLB actually has '3' tiers of teams called "Large Profit" "Mid Profit" and "Small Market" teams.

The Cardinals are considered one of the most succesful "Mid Revenue' teams as although they play in St Louis, most of the 'Redbird' fanbase, covers almost the entire midwest and Mid-South region of the country. They are Cards fans from Little Rock-Louisville and points in between.

With the Pirates, I would not be shocked if that the case. I also think that the Blue Jays current Owners the Rogers Company in Canada might be doing the same thing since their Owner/CEO Ted Rogers(Canada's version of Ted Turner as a Media Tycoon) passed away a year or two ago.:confused:

I know the Players Association would rather the sport shut down than have one, but MLB should have a 'soft' salary cap IMO with a starting required payroll of at least $60 Million and a cap of $150 Million per season. Teams could then sign 2 players (1 Pitcher and 1 position player)for life of their contracts that is unlimited and does not count against the cap.

Archived