Urban legend comes to life, maybe: Baby crocodile hiding under car shocks Queens

YankeesPwnMets

alg_queens_gator.jpg

A crocodile caused a commotion in Queens Sunday when it was cornered under a car.

Yes, a crocodile.

"Before you ask, no cops could confirm it came out of the sewer," said police spokesman James Duffy, referring to an urban legend that such reptiles live in the city's sewer system.

Duffy said it remained a mystery where the 2-foot-long baby reptile came from.

"No one's come forward and said, 'Hey, I lost a crocodile,'" said Duffy, adding that cops initially thought that the creature was an alligator.

Pictures of the creature suggest it might indeed be a gator, which have U-shaped snouts while crocodiles' are V-shaped.

Regardless, the swamp animal was spotted in the urban jungle just after 3 p.m. cowering under a Datsun on Newtown Ave. and 29th St. in Astoria.

"The poor little thing looked dazed and confused," said Manhattan novelist Joyce Hackett, who took photos with her iPhone.

"Hopefully, the thing will get its own reality show," Hackett said.

Duffy said Emergency Service Unit cops used a long pole and a noose to corral the creature into a cage. Its mouth was wrapped in black electrical tape before it was carted off to the nearest precinct.

City Animal Care & Control officers took possession of the animal and were expected to send it to a wildlife sanctuary.

Source: NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/23/2010-08-23_reptile_dysfunction_as_croc_shocks_qns.html

If you ask me, I don't believe that crocodiles or alligators live in NYC Sewer Systems, because during the winter when there are crazy amounts of snow falls wouldn't it be too cold for it to survive?

Archived