Question

checkmatechamp13

I have a question: On the #308 bus to Six Flags, they have buses that go to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but first stop off in Newark Penn Station. Would it be possible to buy a ticket to Newark and then stay on the bus until it reaches the Port Authority Bus Terminal? When I went to Six Flags, I handed the bus driver the ticket to Newark and got off in Newark, but it seemed as if I could've stayed on until New York. Just curious.

the fare b/w jackson twp to newark isn't the same as the fare from jackson twp to nyc....

New York is it's own zone IINM....

You did the right thing... I wouldn't have taken that chance... I think it's like a 5-6 dollar difference coming from six flags & disembarking in newark, as opposed to nyc....

The problem is that, in order to save money, we bought the tickets round trip to Newark because it was $9.50 cheaper round-trip to go to Newark than to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Then, my mother wanted to go on the direct bus to Port Authority coming home, but we had no way of paying the extra $4.75 to go directly to New York, so we ended up having to take the PATH from Newark.

Is there any way of buying a ticket from the Newark Penn Station ticket booth and having them give you a return ticket to New York?

not sure if I'm following you correctly...

ok, you want to buy a ticket from Newark to get to Six Flags... no problem...

but on the return trip, have the booth agent... at newark... give you a return ticket from six flags to new york??

^^ if that's what you're asking, I highly doubt they'll let you do that....

not sure if I'm following you correctly...

ok, you want to buy a ticket from Newark to get to Six Flags... no problem...

but on the return trip, have the booth agent... at newark... give you a return ticket from six flags to new york??

^^ if that's what you're asking, I highly doubt they'll let you do that....

If you are buying the package or just Bus fares?

if you are buying the package from NWK and want to go to NYC later you should be able to do but you will have to fork up the difference between Newark and NY when leaving six flags

If you are just buying bus tickets you can buy 2 one ways just make the return ticket is to NY otherwise the bus driver may check the ticket on the exit in NY and than you will be hit with extra fare when exiting the bus

If you are buying the package or just Bus fares?

if you are buying the package from NWK and want to go to NYC later you should be able to do but you will have to fork up the difference between Newark and NY when leaving six flags

If you are just buying bus tickets you can buy 2 one ways just make the return ticket is to NY otherwise the bus driver may check the ticket on the exit in NY and than you will be hit with extra fare when exiting the bus

Thanks. I'll remember that for next time.

The difference between Newark and NYC was $9.50 for a round trip ticket, so that means that, if I buy the package and decide to pay the extra fare to NYC, I pay an extra $4.75, correct?

yeah, he can pay, in cash, the difference b/w Newark & PABT/NYC....

emphasis on can...

What I'm saying is, you can't purchase a ticket package originating in one location {which in this case is Newark} en route to heading *wherever*... and the end destination of the return trip {NYC} is totally different from what the origin of the trip initially was {Newark}.... that doesn't even make sense.... it defeats the purpose of even buying a round trip ticket...

^^ and to me, that's what it looked like checkmate champ was asking/trying to accomplish...

than you will be hit with extra fare when exiting the bus

...is what I was pretty much implying when I told CC in an earlier reply:

You did the right thing... I wouldn't have taken that chance...

....b/c you never know how a particular b/o would react... they may see it as an honest mistake/done out of confusion... they may see it as someone trying to get over...

Thanks. I'll remember that for next time.

The difference between Newark and NYC was $9.50 for a round trip ticket, so that means that, if I buy the package and decide to pay the extra fare to NYC, I pay an extra $4.75, correct?

Someone can correct me on this, but I think that's on the mercy/discretion of the b/o...

he can be a nice guy & ask you to fork up 4.75...

(the round trip cost of the difference b/w [newark & six flags] and [nyc & six flags]...

...or he could be technical about it, and ask you to pay the fare b/w Newark & NYC... which is 5.50...

...or he could be anal about it & kick you off at newark...

which you'll end up having to pay anyway to get back to NYC... and on top of that, having to wait for another bus.... or PATH, or however else you wanna go about getting back...

I don't see why you'd want to put yourself in that situation....

Someone can correct me on this, but I think that's on the mercy/discretion of the b/o...

he can be a nice guy & ask you to fork up that 4.75...

...or he could be technical about it, and ask you to pay the fare b/w Newark & NYC... which is 5.50...

which you'll end up having to pay anyway to get back to NYC... and on top of that, having to wait for another bus....

Or he could have you fined by the cops for fare evasion.:eek:

he can be a nice guy & ask you to fork up 4.75...

(the round trip cost of the difference b/w [newark & six flags] and [nyc & six flags]...

which you'll end up having to pay anyway to get back to NYC... and on top of that, having to wait for another bus.... or PATH, or however else you wanna go about getting back...

I didn't plan on putting myself in any situation that could result in me being fined for fare evasion. I was just asking if I could legally stay on until New York by paying the extra fare. It was just one of those things where, if I could get off in New York for very little extra hassle, OK, but if I had to get off at Newark and take the PATH (which I did), that was OK as well.

Not to mention that, if he had charged me an extra $4.75, that would've still been $3.00 more expensive than the PATH, (or $3.23 considering that I used a pay-per-ride bonus MetroCard).

I did this alot of times. I would have people that changed there mind where they wanted to go and I would make them pay the difference. It all depends on the driver. Some drivers will make you pay the difference, and some will have you pay the full fare between location A and location B. The reason why some will make you pay the full fare is because there math skills is low and dont feel like bothering and take the easy way out.

I didn't plan on putting myself in any situation that could result in me being fined for fare evasion. I was just asking if I could legally stay on until New York by paying the extra fare. It was just one of those things where, if I could get off in New York for very little extra hassle, OK, but if I had to get off at Newark and take the PATH (which I did), that was OK as well.

Not to mention that, if he had charged me an extra $4.75, that would've still been $3.00 more expensive than the PATH, (or $3.23 considering that I used a pay-per-ride bonus MetroCard).

*smh no repeatedly*

the part in bold wasn't your original question though, bro.....

Would it be possible to buy a ticket to Newark and then stay on the bus until it reaches the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

Is there any way of buying a ticket from the Newark Penn Station ticket booth and having them give you a return ticket to New York?

...now had you mention paying the difference b/w the two points, in cash, in the OP, the answer would have been much simpler....

Now that I think about it, there are some NJT routes that only honor monthly passes & just, tickets (meaning, the driver does not handle cash).... Is the 308 one of those routes; that much I don't know...... If it is, that takes the idea of paying the difference in cash COMPLETELY out the window.

anyway, I wadn't necessarily referring to you putting yourself in a hot spot where you could be fined for fare evasion; that would be the extreme... I was referring more to you putting yourself in a spot where you don't know how a b/o would react to a certain situation...

*smh no repeatedly*

...now had you mention paying the difference b/w the two points, in cash, in the OP, the answer would have been much simpler....

Now that I think about it, there are some NJT routes that only honor monthly passes & just, tickets (meaning, the driver does not handle cash).... Is the 308 one of those routes; that much I don't know...... If it is, that takes the idea of paying the difference in cash COMPLETELY out the window.

anyway, I wadn't necessarily referring to you putting yourself in a hot spot where you could be fined for fare evasion; that would be the extreme... I was referring more to you putting yourself in a spot where you don't know how a b/o would react to a certain situation...

My original question pertained more to how they enforce the zoned fares on NJT routes than paying the additional difference between the fares. I was wondering if somebody could, in theory pay to go to Newark and travel to New York. I don't intend to see what will happen if I did stay on past Newark without paying the extra fare. My intention for the trip (and for future trips) was to take the PATH from Newark into Manhattan.

The original post led me to ask what fare I would have to pay if I did, indeed, want to stay on until NYC. I forgot to mention that, if I wanted to go to NYC, I would be paying it before I left Six Flags (either at the ticket booth in Newark, or in the bus), so there would be no argument with the driver as I was leaving the bus as to what the correct amount would be, or if I were even allowed to stay on the bus (if it were one of the routes where no cash was accepted).

When you responded in your post at 1:13 PM, I thought that you meant: Why would I place myself in a situation where I could get fined for fare evasion? As I can see now, that wasn't the case.

*smh no repeatedly*

The times I drove the 308, the only passes that was acceptable was the Intra-Commuter passes from Six Flags to Newark, but that were for only Six Flags workers. If that has changed since, I do not know. As for the original poster that asked if they can pay the override from NWK to PABT, I would let him ride and pay the difference, which is $4.50 since you're going a extra 3 zones to NY and each override on the new NJT Northern Division fare scheme is 1.50 per zone extra to NY (Either PABT or the GWB). Now, here's the thing that always got ME into some trouble. When I get to NWK and I had to go to NY, there were maybe 4 or 5 people waiting for the 108. They see my bus and they want to get on paying with whatever they had (Cash/Ticket/Pass). I always called control center since the registers that Meadowlands had wasn't able to be set to take passengers from NWK to NY (When you had it set to Boarding 4 - Alighting 1, it always said ERROR, and these are the old registers. I don't know if the New Registers are programmed to do this now) but, they told me to take them and charge them. Honestly, and this is off track, but if we are going to take NWK passengers to NY Express, then they should either change the registers to we could so there is no issues, or make a sign saying 308 to NY (DISCHARGE ONLY). But back to the original question, if you could buy a ticket once you get off the bus at NWK to NY, your best bet was to either pay the override, which was $4.50, or take the Path to NY, which is $1.75. If you would of brought a ticket at Penn Station to NY on the 108 bus, you'd pay $5.50 each ticket, thus you're losing more money.

Archived