SMS for the MK R42s

trainfan22

Is the MK R42s getting an SMS anytime soon?

I think these cars need an SMS badly they are falling apart. 4792 broke down on me on the (M) line on wedesday with door problems. While i was railfanning the insides are dirty and have graffti on the walls and have bad bucking. Its kinda sad to see such a good train in such bad shape. And plus the roofs are brown and some even have fickring lights like SOME of the greatbirds car classes.

Does ENY yard even still maintained them? or they just maintain the only R143/160?

I think the R42s are good cars when in shape even better than the R143/160. But i think they really need an SMS i think an SMS can extend the life of the R42 another 10 to 15 years. All they have to do is..

1] Put new roofs on them

2]brand new windows

3]brand new trucks

4]paint them

5]And all that other stuff that SMS does

And then the R42s would be good as new and put them on the (A) and (C) lines until the R179s come in 2015. Do you think this would be an good idea?

The R42's aren't getting SMS, but the R44's will be.

SMS Won't be too useful because they're not planning on keeping those cars around that long. I heard a rumor that R160's will be running on the (J)uliet by 6/30 but we'll see...

The R42's aren't getting SMS, but the R44's will be.

SMS Won't be too useful because they're not planning on keeping those cars around that long. I heard a rumor that R160's will be running on the (J)uliet by 6/30 but we'll see...

But arent the R42s soppsed to going to the (A) and (C) lines while the R44s are OOS getting thier work? They will have to fix them a little bit theres no way that they put them on those the way they are now. they are having lots of problems with these cars i guess we jut have to wait and see....

But arent the R42s soppsed to going to the (A) and (C) lines while the R44s are OOS getting thier work? They will have to fix them a little bit theres no way that they put them on those the way they are now. they are having lots of problems with these cars i guess we jut have to wait and see....

AFAIK the R160's once they get the problems sorted out with the Siemens sets will head to the (W)hisky and back to the (N)ovember, the R68's displaced from those lines will head to the (B)ravo, and the slants and mods from both (W)hisky and (B)ravo will go the (A)pple. Some R42's will be (A)pple bound, but presumably they will be the ones in best shape, so they shouldn't need SMS to hang around until the R44's get back.

Alstom is playing catch-up with their R160As now and ENY is flooded with R160s. There's little space left and ENY is having a hard time maintaining the R42s. However the MK R42s are going when the (MTA) purchases option II of the R160 order. Giving the R42s an SMS now would be a waste of money and resources unless the (MTA) doesn't purchase option II.

maybe the MTA should give some R42s to jamica yard and run them on the (E) and (F) lines and kill off those phase II R32s. I dont think that will happen but it would be cool to see though.

I agree but yeah it probably wouldn't happen. The (MTA)wants ot kill off R32 with R32.

Or just maybe, the R32-R42 are outliving their useful lives and the (MTA) wants to dispose of them.

Uh no the R32-R42 fleets still have a lot left in the tank. And could go another 10 to 15 years maybe even longer. The only reason why there are in bad shape the R40s and R42s to be exact. is because the yards dont take good care of them. Like i said the first time the MTA higher ups are new tech train lovers and have an venditta aganist SMEE equipment. Amtrak has cars that are 60 years old running in service and amtrak cars log a LOT more milage than nyc subway cars do.

the R32 could go for another 50 years if the MTA tried hard enough..

but no they love their new shiny trains....

ANOTHER 50 Years!?!?!?!?! :eek:

Those cars would be older in 50 years than some of the BMT Standards are today!

the R32 could go for another 50 years if the MTA tried hard enough..

but no they love their new shiny trains....

They couldn't and they wouldn't. And yes, regular (MTA) riders would prefer shiny new trains then old smelly ones with graffiti. I'm not saying that R32s are bad or anything, but I'm pretty sure REGULAR customers would prefer the NTTs.

The MTA are starting to strip the phase II R32s sooner than I thought!!!!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?82527

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?82526

DAMN!!! The MTA is so stupid!!! The MTA is going to regret this!!!:mad:

Not really. The Phase II R32s are not holding up as well anymore. Little by little Phase II R32s are being scrapped.

The MTA are starting to strip the phase II R32s sooner than I thought!!!!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?82527

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?82526

DAMN!!! The MTA is so stupid!!! The MTA is going to regret this!!!:mad:

Yep the MTA is really going to regret this. The MTA is not going to get 45 years out of those R160s probaly 25 to 30 at most. Those R142s/143s are already breaking down after in service for only eight years. The R160s FIND are already starting to break down 10 to 15 years from now those FINDs probaly are not going to work anymore. Watch the MTA is probaly going to have to bring back the GOH because the R142/143/160s will be in such bad shape once they get to 20 years old.

But this is the second stupidist thing the MTA has ever done. The first was retiring the R33ML fleet was in good shape and still had another 15 to 20 years in them.

Yep the MTA is really going to regret this. The MTA is not going to get 45 years out of those R160s probaly 25 to 30 at most. Those R142s/143s are already breaking down after in service for only eight years. The R160s FIND are already starting to break down 10 to 15 years from now those FINDs probaly are not going to work anymore. Watch the MTA is probaly going to have to bring back the GOH because the R142/143/160s will be in such bad shape once they get to 20 years old.

But this is the second stupidist thing the MTA has ever done. The first was retiring the R33ML fleet was in good shape and still had another 15 to 20 years in them.

Let me ask you one thing.

How the hell do you know the future?

And the R160 FIND isn't breaking down, it was never really up and running perfectly in the first place. Let them get it right first.

great response R160B8713. This person has a grudge against the R160s. They are not breaking apart. Sure, there maybe a few problems with them, but they will eventually be sorted out. By the time your old and a next generation train car comes out to replace the R160s, you'll see the specialness in them.

I'm kinda sad to see the R32s being scrapped as a railfanner. But my question is, what will replace the R32s on the (E) , (F), & (R) Lines? Hopefully its not those crappy R32s on the (A) and (C)....The ones on the other lines were my favorites. It was the only rolling stock set left with the hissing departing sound, before it was the R33-36 and R32 cars.

Archived