NFL on verge of extending the Season to 18 games w/ Super Bowl played on President's Holiday Weekend

Shortline Bus

This plan would start with the 2012 Season in which the Super Bowl would be played on every Sunday of President's weekend (except for years in which there is a conflict with the Winter Olympics in which those games would be on the 2nd Sunday in Feb.

This plan was pushed by the TV Networks to decrease the number of pre season games and avoid injuries. Critics claim that the chances for injuries will even be greater and a ploy to gain $$ from the TV stations.

The 18-game proposal is await Players Union Approval barring a possible lockout after this new season starting in Sept. Reaction NFL fans?

I think this is a good idea. The N.F.L. is trading two preseason games for two meaningful games. There still will be twenty games, just eighteen of them will be meaningful. I can understand the players side though. With two extra games being meaningful, there is an elevated risk for potential injuries. A team that's, say, 10-5 with three games to play and a chance for postseason play is going to want their best players out there.

Under an eighteen game regular season, Gang Green gets nine home games and nine road games. With the four team divisions in the N.F.L., they also get twelve games against the other three A.F.C. Divisions and against the N.F.C.. (Six games versus the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots). With the twelve games, they could play an N.F.C. division (four games) and have four games versus A.F.C. North, South, and West teams. Rotation could be done every four years.

Football, being a contact sport, and designed as it is, can really be played only once a week. As such, football has been always "the short season", slowly expanding from ten to twelve to fourteen, and to the current sixteen games over seventeen weeks.

I think if this goes through, eighteen regular season games (likely over nineteen weeks) will likely be the limit.

I think this is a good idea. The N.F.L. is trading two preseason games for two meaningful games. There still will be twenty games, just eighteen of them will be meaningful. I can understand the players side though. With two extra games being meaningful, there is an elevated risk for potential injuries. A team that's, say, 10-5 with three games to play and a chance for postseason play is going to want their best players out there.

Under an eighteen game regular season, Gang Green gets nine home games and nine road games. With the four team divisions in the N.F.L., they also get twelve games against the other three A.F.C. Divisions and against the N.F.C.. (Six games versus the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots). With the twelve games, they could play an N.F.C. division (four games) and have four games versus A.F.C. North, South, and West teams. Rotation could be done every four years.

Football, being a contact sport, and designed as it is, can really be played only once a week. As such, football has been always "the short season", slowly expanding from ten to twelve to fourteen, and to the current sixteen games over seventeen weeks.

I think if this goes through, eighteen regular season games (likely over nineteen weeks) will likely be the limit.

Very true. I know the folks at ABC/ESPN, NBC, CBS, Fox and NFL Network would love the NFL to be on 10-month or dare we say 'year round.'

Unless you get robots, I think a 18-game regular season is the limit.

Shortline Bus: This league, in 1974 played a twenty game season in nineteen weeks - all meaningful games (no preseason):

Take a trip back: http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_League

Heard about it. The WFL only lasted the '74 season. The USFL(which I do remember) correct me if I am wrong played a 18-game season from Early March-Early August as well.

Archived