Transfer Question

checkmatechamp13

Just a question: I plan on taking the X17J to the BxM1 or BxM2 to get to Riverdale or the BxM3 to get up to Broadway in Riverdale (I'm undecided on whether I will take the Metro-North in Riverdale or Bee-Line on Broadway to get up to Westchester) . My transfer from express bus-express bus should work even though one is MTA Bus and one is NYCT Bus, correct?

Just a question: I plan on taking the X17J to the BxM1 or BxM2 to get to Riverdale or the BxM3 to get up to Broadway in Riverdale (I'm undecided on whether I will take the Metro-North in Riverdale or Bee-Line on Broadway to get up to Westchester) . My transfer from express bus-express bus should work even though one is MTA Bus and one is NYCT Bus, correct?

I would also suggest that you get off the X17 Midtown or any Express line from SI/Brooklyn to transfer to a Bronx or Queens Express in the 23-28th Street. However if using the regular X17C branch or around 42nd for these reasons. One for better chance of picking your seat on the next bus. Also mainly being able to not use up the 2-hour transfer time limit and avoid paying another fare if using a PPR Metrocard.

I done it in recent years before using mainly on weekends, using the X28 (when it ran weekends) from Coney Island and transfer to the BM3 to go to Downtown Yonkers/Getty Sq. Then taking the MNRR Hudson Line home to Poughkeepsie area.

X17J might get stuck on traffic along Lincoln Tunnel, so it might not make it within 2-hours.

The transfer time was raised to 4 hours a couple of years ago, since a lot of SI commuters were complaining about missing their transfer because of traffic on the Gowanus Expressway. Recently, I've been able to take one express bus into Manhattan and another bus back to Staten Island (usually X10 to X17 or vice versa), so the time limit shouldn't be a problem.

I would also suggest that you get off the X17 Midtown or any Express line from SI/Brooklyn to transfer to a Bronx or Queens Express in the 23-28th Street. However if using the regular X17C branch or around 42nd for these reasons. One for better chance of picking your seat on the next bus. Also mainly being able to not use up the 2-hour transfer time limit and avoid paying another fare if using a PPR Metrocard.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and try to get off as far south as possible when I transfer. I'll try to look at the schedules of the 3 buses to see which of the 3 will connect with the X17J (or the X30 if I get it) first.

I done it in recent years before using mainly on weekends, using the X28 (when it ran weekends) from Coney Island and transfer to the BM3 to go to Downtown Yonkers/Getty Sq. Then taking the MNRR Hudson Line home to Poughkeepsie area.

By the way, how far is the BxM3 from the Yonkers Metro-North station? I might be able to use this as another option.

As of now, my 2 options are:

Take the BxM3 to 242nd Street and take the 1T to Tarrytown

Take the BxM1/BxM2 to 254th Street and take the Metro-North from Riverdale (or to 230th Street for Marble Hill)

Thanks a lot for the help East New York, FamousNYLover, Shortline Bus, and w8Hou. I appreciate it. :o

The transfer time was raised to 4 hours a couple of years ago, since a lot of SI commuters were complaining about missing their transfer because of traffic on the Gowanus Expressway. Recently, I've been able to take one express bus into Manhattan and another bus back to Staten Island (usually X10 to X17 or vice versa), so the time limit shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, how far is the BxM3 from the Yonkers Metro-North station? I might be able to use this as another option.

As of now, my 2 options are:

Take the BxM3 to 242nd Street and take the 1T to Tarrytown

Take the BxM1/BxM2 to 254th Street and take the Metro-North from Riverdale (or to 230th Street for Marble Hill)

Thanks a lot for the help East New York, FamousNYLover, Shortline Bus, and w8Hou. I appreciate it. :o

The last stop on the BXM3 is usually by the Shop rite on Riverdale Ave. (forget cross street)

It's about a 10-minute walk to the Yonkers MNRR station.

By the way, one more question: The fare to Philipse Manor is exactly the fare as the fare to Tarrytown. Is it possible to buy a ticket to Philipse Manor (I'm not sure which station is better for where I am going) and get off one stop early in Tarrytown?

the fare is the same b/c the two stations are in the same fare zone....

if you bought a ticket to philipse manor & got off at tarrytown, there would be no problem whatsoever.... same for the reverse scenario (buying a ticket for tarrytown & getting off in philipse manor)....

when you board MNRR (or LIRR), and they put those seat check tags by you, they only hole-punch the zone for which you're traveling; they (c/r's) could care less what stop within that zone you're actually getting off at....

X17J might get stuck on traffic along Lincoln Tunnel, so it might not make it within 2-hours.

aren't transfers usually 2hr 18mins, thought I read somewhere they give you the extra 18mins....

I know I've had transfers still work after what I thought was 2hrs.

Since you guys are talking about express bus transfers to make a roundtrip, I am assuming that NYCT transfers don't care which direction the buses are going in, just that they are different routes?

In most cases yes. However say you take a Downtown M101 bus to 23/3rd. Then 1 hour you transfer to an Uptown M103. In that case I don't think they will take the transfer. Maybe someone else can clarify.:confused:

aren't transfers usually 2hr 18mins, thought I read somewhere they give you the extra 18mins....

I know I've had transfers still work after what I thought was 2hrs.

I believe you are correct. When school was in session and I had an after school club, I would often take the S46 home at about 2:50PM, and get on the S44 to get to the club at around 4:50PM-5:10PM. The transfer always worked for me.

Archived