7 Line Extension

Bushwick Bill

Definitely. Yes, yes, yes and YES!

Too bad the NIMBYs in Bayside who are afraid of the subway will never let that happen.

But I think the line should be extended along Roosevelt Avenue, and onto northern blvd. until bell boulevard, with provisions for further extension if necessary (i.e. tail tracks).

Honestly if it were up to me, I would expand every single subway line in the system right now. :D But as some have said, NIMBY's will be going crazy (which I don't see why unless it was an el which it wouldn't). Recently I heard an idea for the (7) but I can't quite remember the final station.

Lets see the (7) reach its new home in a few years first; Jacob Javits Center-34 St / 11 Av. As we all would love to see most subway lines extended from their current terminals, lets see the 'improvements' that are currently 'on their way' OR behind..:cool:

Not bashing the (7)(7x) extension Eastward though, don't get me wrong. It would be nice if it were extended elsewhere.

But as some have said, NIMBY's will be going crazy (which I don't see why unless it was an el which it wouldn't).

YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

Think of how LOUD IT WILL BE IN BAYSIDE!!!!

(um sir it will be an underground extension)

SO?!?!?! Itll be a threat to the underground environment!!!

(.....sir, the line will be built using deep tunnel boring methods)

Think of the CONSTRUCTION!!!!

(but sir! this line will provide Bayside with a one-seat ride to midtown!)

Think of the criminals!!!

Think of the noise!!!

[hypocrisy]Think of the cars!!!!![/end hypocrisy]

THINK OF THE GENTRIFICATION!!!

What!!!! extend the (7) into nassau???? how about no!! This would be a very bad idea heres why...

1]the nyc subway move too slow and have to many timer signals. It would take forever just to go from times square to LI esp on a local train.

2] The MTA doesnt have a enough R62As for this route. If the route gets longer they will have to add more trains that dont extist.

3] The R62As will brake down a lot and have lots of worn out parts. Becuase of operating on such a long route and plus the (7) runs on short headways. so the R62As will take too much abuse and corna yard wont be able to kept up with them.

4] And countless other reasons of extending the (7) to long island wont work.

trainfan, you are almost completely wrong. The 3 line and a few years ago, the 4 line ran with the R62As on an even LONGER route than the Flushing one. Did the R62As come back to the yards all broken? No. They ran their time and their route with no problem. As far as I'm concerned, I have notcied that the Corona Yard maintains their R62As EXCELLENTLY. Even better than how Lenox maintains theirs. The (7) could serve their way to Bayside if MTA had the money and resources to do so.

trainfan, you are almost completely wrong. The 3 line and a few years ago, the 4 line ran with the R62As on an even LONGER route than the Flushing one. Did the R62As come back to the yards all broken? No. They ran their time and their route with no problem. As far as I'm concerned, I have notcied that the Corona Yard maintains their R62As EXCELLENTLY. Even better than how Lenox maintains theirs. The (7) could serve their way to Bayside if MTA had the money and resources to do so.

1] the (3) is not a long line

2]The (4) had R62s not R62As

3] Trains that are on long lines like the (A)(2) and (F) lines. Get worn out quicker because they have to make so many stops. Thats why in 1995 the MTA took some of the older greatbird car classes off the (2). And put them on the (5) a route not as long as the (2). So those cars wont log up so much mileage on the longest route in the A div. And yes corona yard does a great job maintaining the R62As. But lenox doesnt do mainence lovonia yard maintains them but they do a piss poor job at maintaining them.

Like for exmaple the R62As on the (1) are kinda beatup becuase they are on a long local route that wears out there brakes.

Well the (7)(7x) is getting some R-142S's next year which means most of the R62A equipment is headed back for the (1) and maybe (6) again.

Anyway I think it'd be wonderful to have the (7) go deeper into Queens since my ex lives right on Roosevelt but has to walk to Supthin on the (F)

Well the (7)(7x) is getting some R-142S's next year which means most of the R62A equipment is headed back for the (1) and maybe (6) again.

Anyway I think it'd be wonderful to have the (7) go deeper into Queens since my ex lives right on Roosevelt but has to walk to Supthin on the (F)

From what i have been hearing the R62As will stay on the (7) for the rest of thier lifes. And being that the R142/As are in bad shape with techincal problems and bucking and busted PA systems and some other stuff. they will just stay on the (6) for now. And it will be too cost effective to put CBTC on the R142As they would have to rebuild the cabs of the R142/As just to run CBTC on them. They could put CBTC on R62As the MTA once put CBTC on an R68 before.

Unless the MTA buys brand new R142s that come with CBTC then yea the (7) will most likey get them...

the nyc subway move too slow and have to many timer signals. It would take forever just to go from times square to LI esp on a local train.

I wouldn't extend the (7) all the way into LI but to an area like Little Neck.

The Flushing Line doesn't have many timers. There are quite a few in Manhattan, the Steinway tunnel, and between said tunnel and Queensboro Plaza, but other than that there aren't many.

The MTA doesnt have a enough R62As for this route. If the route gets longer they will have to add more trains that dont extist.

These trains do exist. Not all of them but some of them do. The (7) doesn't use all of its R62As but most of them. Either way, by the time such an extension is done the (MTA) will have to order newer cars anyway, and at that can order a sufficient number.

The R62As will brake down a lot and have lots of worn out parts. Becuase of operating on such a long route and plus the (7) runs on short headways. so the R62As will take too much abuse and corna yard wont be able to kept up with them.

I don't know what you're talking about here...right now, the (7) is a 30 to 40 minute route from end-to-end. Extending it so it becomes an hour-and-some long route end-to-end won't wear out its cars. The (E) is a little more than an hour-long route end-to-end and it doesn't wear out its R32s. This isn't the (R) we're talking about. And even you mentioned that Corona Yard is very adept at maintaining its cars.

I don't think the (7) and the (7x) should extend itself further than Main Street. The LIRR is there for a reason, so use it. By also extending the (7), it would also mean that cars between stations will be farther away from each other, thus creating more complaints that (MTA) will not want to settle in for.

I don't think the (7) and the (7x) should extend itself further than Main Street. The LIRR is there for a reason, so use it. By also extending the (7), it would also mean that cars between stations will be farther away from each other, thus creating more complaints that (MTA) will not want to settle in for.

Well the assumption there is that they would run more trains to maintain similar headways. And ideally this would keep more cars off the road. Personally I'd like to see a $3 or $4 toll on the Queensboro Bridge to discourage people from driving in (the proceeds from this used to finance subway expansion), the only problem with this is how to set up toll plazas without making traffic worse all over again.

Don't forget the LIRR is about $7 peak if I'm not mistaken. It's mainly for more upper class people and not everyone can afford the LIRR. Oh, and the (MTA) will add more trains to the line in order to maintain the same standard of service as before should the line be extended.

Well the assumption there is that they would run more trains to maintain similar headways. And ideally this would keep more cars off the road. Personally I'd like to see a $3 or $4 toll on the Queensboro Bridge to discourage people from driving in (the proceeds from this used to finance subway expansion), the only problem with this is how to set up toll plazas without making traffic worse all over again.

Support congestion pricing?

Support congestion pricing?

No, I just support raising tolls to discourage vehicle use, or implementing them in key areas to get funds from out of city. Congestion pricing will only complicate matters by adding a layer of complexity to the situation, and it will be somewhat difficult to enforce in a traffic efficent manner. Not to mention it will make parking difficult for residents of these areas that are NOT supposed to be affected by congestion pricing as people "fill up the garages", as in the areas congestion pricing affects there isn't much in the way of street parking to begin with. I also believe in DOUBLING fines for double parking. If you're going to double park, that vehicle better be manned, with the engine idling, ready to move if need be.

A residential parking permit pass seems like a good idea, but this will probably wind up being used to generate money as well, hurting native NYers. If there's a SIMPLE and FREE way to ensure that all native NYers receive a parking pass, that's good. But then there is the question of who's eligible. Would that mean someone from Bayside, an "NY Resident" would be eligible to park downtown? Wouldn't make sense to... But once you start enforcing a particular permit for a particular neighborhood, you make it that much harder to enforce.

The problem stems from the fact that entirely too many people (as well as underqualified to drive people) own cars, and use them. And the bill, while it's a good idea in theory, has too many kinks that haven't been worked out.

What!!!! extend the (7) into nassau???? how about no!! This would be a very bad idea heres why...

1]the nyc subway move too slow and have to many timer signals. It would take forever just to go from times square to LI esp on a local train.

2] The MTA doesnt have a enough R62As for this route. If the route gets longer they will have to add more trains that dont extist.

3] The R62As will brake down a lot and have lots of worn out parts. Becuase of operating on such a long route and plus the (7) runs on short headways. so the R62As will take too much abuse and corna yard wont be able to kept up with them.

4] And countless other reasons of extending the (7) to long island wont work.

1) It wouldn't take forever, honestly I think it can be done. It's just like extending the (7) on the Manhattan side but for Queens. I don't think it would be as slow as you think.

2) Even if they do not have enough, the (MTA) will have to order new trains anyway, its normal for (MTA) to order more trains for everyday replacement and service increases.

3) I doubt that, sure ofcourse there will be break downs but thats routine.

4) :confused:

Little Neck would be a good enough spot. Any extension past Main Street is good to me. ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived