Debit Card Changes - Good

EE Broadway Local

Seems like Bank Of America, at least, has made a change where a person, technically, can't overdraft on their Debit Card as of August 1st (not sure what happens if a person has a recurring utility payment linked to their Debit Card - likely that will come up as a decline).

So, if a person had $1.29 in their checking account on Saturday and they went to, say, Burger King for a Whopper, their Debit Card will come back as declined (unless you have overdraft protection such a savings account or a credit card) - and saving them the $36.89 the Whopper would've actually cost them. ($1.89 plus a nice $35.00 overdraft fee).

A good move on the bank's part. This is the way it should've been from Day 1.

These banks are scam artists. My debit card never used to be able to be overdraft. If I didnt have enough money on my card it would say DECLINED. THen a big bank bought out my bank and before you know it the card would get charged instead of saying DECLINED when there were insufficient funds and I would get hit with overdraft fees.

I had to fight with the jerkoffs who work at the bank because they tried to lecture me on proper account use and what not instead of just turning off the overdraft like I told them to.

Atleast now the banks cant do this anymore to unsuspecting people..

Some people don't believe in banks, hence they just use cash and stash their money under their mattress. I don't do that because at least your money is protected by the FDIC.

But dealing with banks, either in person or over the phone is a hassle. I always go through my bank/credit card statements very carefully as they are known to tack on charges that they hope you wont notice.

Archived