Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Glen Beck says Washington Rally is to help lead America "Out of the Darkness"

Shortline Bus

Glenn Beck says America is wandering in the darkness because of 'divisive politics'

BY Richard Sisk

NY DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Saturday, August 28th 2010

WASHINGTON - Glenn Beck held a huge rally Saturday to "celebrate America" - and himself - at the Lincoln Memorial, drawing scores of Tea Party faithful into a swirling debate on race and politics.

Joined by sidekick Sarah Palin, Beck declared that the nation "for too long had wandered in the darkness" of divisive politics "but America today begins turning back to God."

But first, the Fox News and talk radio host wanted to gaze at the crowd that flanked the Reflecting Pool hundreds deep and swarmed the grounds of the Memorial where the Rev. Martin Luther King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech 47 years ago.

"Something beyond amazing is happening," said Beck, in giving his own crowd estimate of more than 400,000.

"This really is build it and they will come," added Beck, marveling at the attraction of his message of faith-based patriotism.

In her remarks, Palin focused on supporting the troops, another theme of the "Restoring Honor" Beck rally.

The former GOP governor of Alaska said she was appearing "not as a politician" but "as the mother of her soldier," her Army son Track.

While honoring "those who served something greater than themselves," the crowd should also recall "those who killed without mercy on Sept. 11," Palin said.

"I know many of us are worried" about the state of the nation, Palin said, but "look around you, you are not alone. You are Americans."

Beck saw no irony in bringing his message to the spot where King gave his galvanizing speech on social justice and equality. Jumbotron screens flashed the image of King giving the speech, imploring Americans to "Let Freedom Ring."

The Rev. Al Sharpton and other critics have hammered Beck's rally, charging him with disgracing King's memory. "

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/28/2010-08-28_glenn_beck_says_washington_rallys_purpose_is_to_help_lead_america_out_of_the_dar.html#ixzz0y2dR9mU4

I agree, but then again would Sharpton have had his own rally if not for Beck? Seems more like Sharpton is using Beck to promote his rally. Like who takes Sharpton seriously?

It wasn't really Sharpton's rally. Sure he was leading it, but it was the 47th anniversary of King's speech which is traditional in DC. As far as Beck goes he is such a joke. He had the audacity to talk about divisive politics when he is at the forefront of that movement! Has anyone ever watched his show? Propaganda to the 5th power. However, I do find it quite entertaining! It's better than watching a reality show sometime!

It wasn't really Sharpton's rally. Sure he was leading it, but it was the 47th anniversary of King's speech which is traditional in DC. As far as Beck goes he is such a joke. He had the audacity to talk about divisive politics when he is at the forefront of that movement! Has anyone ever watched his show? Propaganda to the 5th power. However, I do find it quite entertaining! It's better than watching a reality show sometime!

said it better than I could.

I say this. Beck and Sharpton would make a great WWE smackdown match lol.;)

Plus on serious note, sadly this Beck/Sharpton event has overshadowed a great Man like MLK and the "I Have a Dream" speech who is probably rolling over in his grave about his divided the country(culutral war) he loved really is in 2010.

Sharpton is still a clown, I don't know how people still listen to him.

He has a radio talk show heard Sundays in NYC on 98.7 Kiss Fm and several other "Black" oriented stations around the country. Not a fan of him either but most of the mainstream media seems to love him.

Sharpton is still a clown, I don't know how people still listen to him.

Every blue moon he talks about something of substance, but he needs to sit his ass down somewhere. Now Beck is the King of Clowns. The only conservative shows I really watch with interest are Morning Joe on MSNBC, and a few shows on CNBC.

Every blue moon he talks about something of substance, but he needs to sit his ass down somewhere.

The same can be said about Beck, Hannity, and all the others too.

The same can be said about Beck, Hannity, and all the others too.

Can't we not forget the biggest clown (also very rich Man lol)Rush?:)

Seriously many of the American people listen too much to "Rev. AL', Rush, Hannity, Mr. Beck, etc.

They are in the same entertainment biz as Leno, Letterman, Kennel, Stewart, etc except it's in politics.

The line between reporting the news and offering an analysis has been blurred as the Cable News Networks are following ESPN and other Sports stations too much in mixing News Reporters and Talk Show Hosts who are basically analysts.

The public should be able to make their own views on who to vote for in an election or which of the 2 major parties they agree with more? They did for over 200 years until the late 1980's/early '90's and growth of Newstalk Radio and TV.:(

I think he could have done this at a different location today or on the same spot on a different day.

Oh it's ok. Beck has said that he would do the speech a few steps down from where Dr. King stood so it's all OK in terms of historical significance.

Beck is an idiot. He wants to bring America back to its roots by bringing it back "to GOD?" Wonderful, now the Christian zealots will do the same thing with this country that the jerkoffs in the Middle East did with "Islamic states"

If Glenn Beck wanted to help "lead America out of the darkness" he could start by cancelling his show.

Beck is an idiot. He wants to bring America back to its roots by bringing it back "to GOD?" Wonderful, now the Christian zealots will do the same thing with this country that the jerkoffs in the Middle East did with "Islamic states"

If Glenn Beck wanted to help "lead America out of the darkness" he could start by cancelling his show.

Right, these people are racist scum, they want to bring America back to radical capitalism, religious fundamentalism, racist class differences and exaggerated spirit of egoistic freedom. They are people from the past, from the middle ages.

You have to answer these people: http://www.sp-usa.org

Right, these people are racist scum, they want to bring America back to radical capitalism, religious fundamentalism, racist class differences and exaggerated spirit of egoistic freedom. They are people from the past, from the middle ages.

Thing is, those were NEVER American values. They are bastardizations of American values for a free economy, religious tolerance, a meritocracy, and individual liberty.

Archived