Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TransitGuy

Possibilities of 2008 New Flyer DE60LF For NYCT

Please do not quote me on this but according to many, it seems that it is likely.

According to numerous sites (Transitstuff and buschat), it seems that NYCT may in fact accept some LF artics from New Flyer (I believe around 82 according to some). Also, rumor has it that artics 1000-1069 will be transfered to MTA Bus.

Heres another rumor:

MTA Bus has ordered 82 New Flyer DE60LF (Low Floor Articulated Electric Hybrid) buses. The buses are equipped with Caterpillar C9 with GM Allison HybriDrive System. These buses are also a little bigger than the Galaxy buses (technically is 61' long). There are also 3 doors on the bus, making it the first in the city. All buses will be delivered by the end of the year.

MTA Bus recently received 6 Articulated Galaxy buses (5347-5351, 5420), which was proven to be a big success. The buses will be numbered 5770-5851 (resembling the numbers of the cancelled Galaxy order in 2004). At first, NYC Transit was going to transfer 1000-1069 to MTA Bus. While 1000-1020 and 5420-5430 will transfer, MTA Bus will still receive the Low-Floor Articulated Buses.

The first bus is expected for May 30th and will be based at Far Rockaway. Because the Q22 is considered one of the most crowded bus route (besides the Q7, Q11, Q53, Q65, Q113), they will receive the Artics first. These buses will eventually be based in JFK and Baisley Park. Baisley Park will fully have articulated buses.

If this type of bus is a success, NYC Transit will begin ordering Articulated Buses in 2009-2010 replacing the 1000, 1100 and 5200 series.

With the Bus Rapid Transit, the plans have been halted indefinitely due to other budget problems.

What are your opinions and feeling towards this new info?

Supposedly they are now going to MTA Bus! Check this out.

EDIT: You got it posted already. I got a call from my brother who is a B/O and he said they are going with the DE60, then today I hear they are going to MTAB. So I'm stll wondering whats up with that. But I do believe that NF is getting the bid. But like I said in the other thread it would be 5770-5851, not 5852

I really hope New Flyer gets the order because they are my favorite bus manufacturer. I also hope that the buses would be DE60LFR's and not DE60LF's.

I really hope New Flyer gets the order because they are my favorite bus manufacturer. I also hope that the buses would be DE60LFR's and not DE60LF's.

I really hpoe they get it too. I like New Flyer a lot too, I just dont like the C40's. And yes, the DE60LFR would be much better!

Supposedly they are now going to MTA Bus! Check this out.

EDIT: You got it posted already. I got a call from my brother who is a B/O and he said they are going with the DE60, then today I hear they are going to MTAB. So I'm stll wondering whats up with that. But I do believe that NF is getting the bid. But like I said in the other thread it would be 5770-5851, not 5852

Thanks a lot, I just corrected it. I guess only time will tell whether or not this is true. I sure hope it is, since this system needs more buses and artics.

Same here, I hope that New Flyer does get the bid, they are a great manufacturer and I would love to see the artics here.

Damn, all this is coming out pretty fast. Its about time MTA Bus getting more artics too. Some lines need them.

So 2 new orders of artics?

The DE60LFRs would be pretty interesting to have around.

MTA should get DE40LFRs too.

Damn, all this is coming out pretty fast. Its about time MTA Bus getting more artics too. Some lines need them.

So 2 new orders of artics?

Just one so far, but in total MTA plans to order 479 new artics. Supposedly this order (which was supposed to go to NYCT) is going to MTA Bus.

Just one so far, but in total MTA plans to order 479 new artics. Supposedly this order (which was supposed to go to NYCT) is going to MTA Bus.

I doubt that. NYCT getting artics out of the deal because they wanted them first and need them. Probably just gonna add on to the order for the ones going to MTA Bus.

I doubt that. NYCT getting artics out of the deal because they wanted them first and need them. Probably just gonna add on to the order for the ones going to MTA Bus.

Thats exactly what I would expect. I can't imagine why or how they could possibly get 82 new artics, and 22 D60HF's from NYCT. That makes no sence at all to me!

Yeah I think I believe that. Think about it, if there are any orders through the (MTA) , majority of the time NYCT receives the "main" order and MTA Bus receives a smaller amount. It would be very interesting to see 479 artics in addition to the 800 Orion VII slated to come in as well as the MCI coaches . My question is if there is a 400+ order of artics, where can we store all of these? :eek:

Does this mean that the Orion V CNG buses are going to get retired soon? ;_;

Does this mean that the Orion V CNG buses are going to get retired soon? ;_;

I'm not too sure but I would expect the RTS's and Orions V diesels to go to the scrap yard (the old ones). Honestly, I would get rid of every suburban seated bus (very bad for local routes especially when its crowded).

Yeah I think I believe that. Think about it, if there are any orders through the (MTA) , majority of the time NYCT receives the "main" order and MTA Bus receives a smaller amount. It would be very interesting to see 479 artics in addition to the 800 Orion VII slated to come in as well as the MCI coaches . My question is if there is a 400+ order of artics, where can we store all of these? :eek:

Good question, because I don't see them retiring any 1000's or 1100's any time soon.

I think, the MTA should build a garage special for artics. And put it in a convenient location that buses don't have to travel far to start runs.

I think, the MTA should build a garage special for artics. And put it in a convenient location that buses don't have to travel far to start runs.

Anyone know if Amsterdam can handle artics?

I'm not too sure but I would expect the RTS's and Orions V diesels to go to the scrap yard (the old ones). Honestly, I would get rid of every suburban seated bus (very bad for local routes especially when its crowded).

as long as my CNGs are running still, I'm happy :D

With the arrival of the artics to NYCTA and MTA Bus, will the Orion V CNG buses be changing to different depots and buses? Sorry if im asking too early, its good to get people's opinions about the subject so you can know what to and what not to expect.

With the arrival of the artics to NYCTA and MTA Bus, will the Orion V CNG buses be changing to different depots and buses? Sorry if im asking too early, its good to get people's opinions about the subject so you can know what to and what not to expect.

Most likely they won't as Gleason and West Farms are the only two NYCT CNG depots. But I do wonder what they will do when it's time to start replacing the CNG buses.

New Flyers suck. Take it from one who drives them daily. Today I had a bus I nicknamed squeaks. That is all it did, and I ain't talking about the brakes. The interior was squeaking all up and down the line. Sadly I doubt any artic from any manufacturer still in business or past, except the MCI Classic artic, could handle the streets of NYC. Only a bus riveted together can last in NYC.

If they got it good. Especially the 3 doors. It's horribly needed. 2 door artics just don't cut it here.

I agree, more garages are needed, but the only problem is location and space. Also, you have to make sure the neighborhoods will have no problems with it.

Anyone know if Amsterdam can handle artics?

I'm not too sure. I thought Amsterdam could only hold at least 100 regular sized buses. So I'm not too sure.

No problem, but I think since the MTA wanted to brag about their all CNG facilities, they probably will not move them.

You know this is quite interesting! But the part I don't understand is how all this started flying around at the same time. I began to think it sounded a little funny when supposedly the order was going to MTA Bus. But for some reason, I still think it will end up being New Flyer. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking!

You know this is quite interesting! But the part I don't understand is how all this started flying around at the same time. I began to think it sounded a little funny when supposedly the order was going to MTA Bus. But for some reason, I still think it will end up being New Flyer. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking!

I highly doubt it will be New Flyer. If MTA got those 82 additional artics they wanted, they could have save money. Two artics does the work of 3 40fters. One less driver to hire, which means one less benefits to pay for. A contract is just that, and MTA feels punk'd by NFI. I think they will make sure to not give NFI their business, just to stick it to NFI. If it's in court still, or ever was, there would be bad blood between both.

This rumor about New Flyer being awarded for building the artics is just untrue. In fact, NYCT is still deciding on what bus to purchase. But this rumor is false

Just by some off chance/ miracle that I pray for daily.... what if it really is going to be awarded to NFI???? MTA would get an excellent deal on the buses. And after all, this rumor started inside MTA itself! Then It came to us. I'm not saying that they have decided to purchase them, but it's very interesting to me, and I guess i'm keeping hope alive! LOL. The TA rejected both the D60LF, and the LFS. So I guess only time will tell, but the suspense is killing me!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.