63 St/B'way Shuttle

Jamaica Local

I recently saw a map dated 8/1/1998 on nycsubway.org and I saw that there was a yellow (S) that went from 21 St/Queensbridge to 34 St/Herald Square.

Since it's using both Broadway and the 63 St tunnel, how is it getting to 21 St? Is it using the X-over west of Lexington Av-63 St?

I recently saw a map dated 8/1/1998 on nycsubway.org and I saw that there was a yellow (S) that went from 21 St/Queensbridge to 34 St/Herald Square.

Since it's using both Broadway and the 63 St tunnel, how is it getting to 21 St? Is it using the X-over west of Lexington Av-63 St?

By using the express tracks at 57th-7th IIRC.

No, it went all the way down to brooklyn and back up 6th ave.....

How do you think it went....

No need for the sarcasm. She asked a question. Lets answer her. As far as I recall, the Shuttle used the Broadway Express Tracks between Herald Square-34 St and 57 St/7 Av, then proceeded via 63 St to/from 21 St-Queensbridge. Northbound Trains most likely skipped 49 St. Southbound Trains came down from 63 St, and crossed to the Southbound Broadway Local track, just south of 57 St/7 Av, then crossed back to the Brooklyn-Bound Express Track, right before 34 St, and terminated.

Thanks for the info Zach!

Anthony is working on R32 rollsigns for Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006, and he saw the yellow (:)(D), the <R>(Q6Av)(H)(K)(JFK) and the orange (S), but they didn't specify destinations.

That game takes up too much of his time sometimes :(. Oh well! At least he enjoys the hobby!

No need for the sarcasm. She asked a question. Lets answer her. As far as I recall, the Shuttle used the Broadway Express Tracks between Herald Square-34 St and 57 St/7 Av, then proceeded via 63 St to/from 21 St-Queensbridge. Northbound Trains most likely skipped 49 St. Southbound Trains came down from 63 St, and crossed to the Southbound Broadway Local track, just south of 57 St/7 Av, then crossed back to the Brooklyn-Bound Express Track, right before 34 St, and terminated.

I could've sworn that it stopped at 49th Street, then switched over to the Express. Then again, I know more about the 6th Avenue Shuttle than the Broadway version of it.

Didn't the 63rd Street Shuttle run like every 20 minutes or something like that? I don't remember much about the shuttle unfortunately..

Yes, thejoekorner.com had a viewable schedule for it and it was exactly every 20 minutes every day.

During this time, the (MTA) was finishing connecting 63rd St tunnel with the Queens Blvd lines in the late '90's until it opened in 2001 now part of the (F) line. During this period the (Q6Av)I believed ended at 57th St/6th Ave while the (S) replaced it for 63rd St service to/from 21st/QueensBridge.

And the (:( then running from the 4th Ave/West End lines was re-routed and ran to/from 145 St via CPW weekends, instead of opearting to/from QueensBridge when (Q6Av)did not ran. The 57 St/6th station was closed overnights/weekends.

I could be wrong but that is what was service on the 63rd St line in the late 1990's until the (F) ran full time on 63rd starting Dec. 2001.

Archived