Why no direct bus service to new Bronx Gateway Mall?

Shortline Bus

I know this may seem like a dumb question but wondering? Why not the (MTA) has not offered at least 1 bus line to serve the new Bronx Gteway Shopping Center right near the new Yankee Stadium? I know the fiscal crisis is a major reason but could not the (MTA) go to the Stores at that fairly new mall and ask them to pay for it?

Those stores at the new BX Shopping Center could get customers from Washington Heights and all of the South Bronx neighborhoods as well.

The USPS(United States Postal Service) I believe pays the (MTA) at least $500,000 a year to have the B13, B15, B20 and Q8 to stop inside the Spring Creek GMF in SE Brooklyn for their employees. Plus another new shopping center in East Harlem was served by the M116, when that buliding anchored by Target opened.

At least the BX13 should stop right by that shopping center. Plus the nearest bus lines are the BX1, BX19 and (2)(4)(5) trains at 149th/Concourse at least a 10-15 minute walk away. What you guys think?

I know this may seem like a dumb question but wondering? Why not the (MTA) has not offered at least 1 bus line to serve the new Bronx Gteway Shopping Center right near the new Yankee Stadium? I know the fiscal crisis is a major reason but could not the (MTA) go to the Stores at that fairly new mall and ask them to pay for it?

Those stores at the new BX Shopping Center could get customers from Washington Heights and all of the South Bronx neighborhoods as well.

The USPS(United States Postal Service) I believe pays the (MTA) at least $500,000 a year to have the B13, B15, B20 and Q8 to stop inside the Spring Creek GMF in SE Brooklyn for their employees. Plus another new shopping center in East Harlem was served by the M116, when that buliding anchored by Target opened.

At least the BX13 should stop right by that shopping center. Plus the nearest bus lines are the BX1, BX19 and (2)(4)(5) trains at 149th/Concourse at least a 10-15 minute walk away. What you guys think?

Now that the Metro-North station at 153rd Street opened, at least there is some degree of transit access to the mall. However, I do agree with you that there should be a local bus route to serve the mall, as the Metro-North station only serves customers from certain sections of the Bronx (along the Harlem/Hudson River waterfront). Maybe, in addition to the Bx13 being extended to the Gateway Mall, either the Bx1 or Bx2 could be rerouted to the mall (Grand Concourse-161st Street-River Avenue-149th Street) to provide access to the mall from points north.

Maybe they feel that the current transit options at 161st Street/River Avenue and 149th Street/Grand Concourse are close enough. According to Google Transit, they are 0.4 miles away, or a 6-8 minute walk. However, they probably didn't consider that the customers would be walking with packages.

By the way, does the Brooklyn Gateway Mall give the MTA money to run the B13, B83, and Q8 to their mall?

Now that the Metro-North station at 153rd Street opened, at least there is some degree of transit access to the mall. However, I do agree with you that there should be a local bus route to serve the mall, as the Metro-North station only serves customers from certain sections of the Bronx (along the Harlem/Hudson River waterfront). Maybe, in addition to the Bx13 being extended to the Gateway Mall, either the Bx1 or Bx2 could be rerouted to the mall (Grand Concourse-161st Street-River Avenue-149th Street) to provide access to the mall from points north.

Maybe they feel that the current transit options at 161st Street/River Avenue and 149th Street/Grand Concourse are close enough. According to Google Transit, they are 0.4 miles away, or a 6-8 minute walk. However, they probably didn't consider that the customers would be walking with packages.

By the way, does the Brooklyn Gateway Mall give the MTA money to run the B13, B83, and Q8 to their mall?

Checkmate the only issue of running and re-routing the BX1 to serve the Bx Gateway Mall is that a few riders along GC between 149 and 161 (mainly Hostos CC and maybe ADA/disabled riders))might scream about losing service as there would be no GC subway or bus service between 149 and 161-YS area.

As far as Brooklyn Gateway Mall i don't think so as it was at least 2 years when that shopping center opened in the late '90's until any bus service was served first by the B13 and later the B83 and Q8. Maybe our Brooklyn Bus 'expert' B35 via Church knows the answer if the (MTA) gets $$$ from Brooklyn Gateway to have buses serve there.

The Bx2 was rerouted to serve the Grand Concourse between 165th Street and 149th Street (it doesn't run down 165th Street anymore), which is why I suggested either the Bx1 or Bx2. See here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Noe that I think about it, I think I read an article about the B83 extension saying that it would cost them about $700,000 annually to run the B83 there, part of which would be made up by increased ridership, implying that the MTA had to cover the costs by itself.

Checkmate the only issue of running and re-routing the BX1 to serve the Bx Gateway Mall is that a few riders along GC between 149 and 161 (mainly Hostos CC and maybe ADA/disabled riders))might scream about losing service as there would be no GC subway or bus service between 149 and 161-YS area.

As far as Brooklyn Gateway Mall i don't think so as it was at least 2 years when that shopping center opened in the late '90's until any bus service was served first by the B13 and later the B83 and Q8. Maybe our Brooklyn Bus 'expert' B35 via Church knows the answer if the (MTA) gets $$$ from Brooklyn Gateway to have buses serve there.

And also the fact that the Bx1 & Bx2 serve the heavily-elderly portions of Concourse Village along the Concourse between 153rd and 161st Streets would not help it either.

I've been a pretty big advocate for extending the Bx13 to The Bronx Gateway. I mentioned it fairly recently in another thread Brooklyn's gateway mall has 3 routes that were extended. Believe me in the bx the demand is there. On the weekend I literally see hundreds of people trooping from 161st to the Mall and from the Concourse. Besides the Bx13, the Bx2 is an ideal candidate route to serve the mall. It's current routing seems redundant.

In the last thread concerning the Bx55 I even mentioned extending that route either via 149th St. or via its old 161st Street branch (via the Courts and the Stadium) giving it purpose again.

When it comes to malls ive noticed it usually take time for bus service to be implemented. Bay Plaza was built in the late 80's and didnt have direct Bx12 or 29 service for years until around 1998-99.

To me, the common sense thing would be to extend the Bx13 down River Avenue past the mall and have it terminate at Lincoln Hospital.

I have a better candidate to serve Gateway, the Bx18. Since it was very close to getting cut earlier this year (it got saved thanks to those in Morris Heights including Assemblywoman Vanessa Gibson), the Bx18 would add extra purpose by extending it down Jerome and River Avs to the Mall. This would also allow the Bx13 to run down 161st and 163rd St to Hunts Point to relieve overcrowding on the often-bunched and delayed Bx6 line.

I have a better candidate to serve Gateway, the Bx18. Since it was very close to getting cut earlier this year (it got saved thanks to those in Morris Heights including Assemblywoman Vanessa Gibson), the Bx18 would add extra purpose by extending it down Jerome and River Avs to the Mall. This would also allow the Bx13 to run down 161st and 163rd St to Hunts Point to relieve overcrowding on the often-bunched and delayed Bx6 line.

I still say Lenin you need to have the BX13 serve as the primary bus for that mall so riders from Washington Heights and those from parts of the Western Bronx could also have a direct bus to BX. Gateway. However your BX18 idea is not a bad one either.

If and when the BX19 gets 'limited stop service' the locals could start/end at Bronx Gateway Mall.

Idk if the Bx19 would ever get LTD service but it would be nice of course. Extend the Local or LTD to White Plains Rd/Allerton Avenue (via Dr. T. Kazimiroff Blvd aka Southern Blvd) down S. Blvd and 149th St, have the Local reroute via Shopping Center thru Concourse > E151st St > River Ave and then back on 149th Bridge to Riverbank.

But thats in my head. But a Limited stop Bx19 would be nice as its heavily used in the Bronx to Manhattan and putting some sort of service to the shopping center ill benifit. Heh i even see people from harlem comin from the center walkin over 145/149th Bridge.

When you isolate something from public transit, you are effectivly saying "If you can't get yourself here, we don't want you."

I would love to watch someone try and load a cart of lumber, or a new toliet from Home Depot on a bus.

hmm Lol thats true, that ill totally delay service on the Bus. Looking at the M60 it gets the most travelers with luggage on there hands!

I don't think Kings Plaza helps share in the cost of the B41 on Flatbush Avenue.

To be fair, that area is probably the best place to turn back buses despite it being next to the mall. Like look at the WillyB plaza - nothing much [imo] in that area, but it's the only place to turn back buses in that area.

The Q8 doesn't serve the BK Post Office. As for the Bronx Gateway Mall, I think the Bx13 would be a good candidate for an extention. Another idea would be a Bx18 extenstion down GC or the M18 before it got eliminated

To be fair, that area is probably the best place to turn back buses despite it being next to the mall. Like look at the WillyB plaza - nothing much [imo] in that area, but it's the only place to turn back buses in that area.

But the Williamsburg Plaza connects with the (J)/(M)/(Z) 2 blocks away, so they need to make it convenient to connect with the subway, not to mention other buses in the area.

The Q8 doesn't serve the BK Post Office. As for the Bronx Gateway Mall, I think the Bx13 would be a good candidate for an extention. Another idea would be a Bx18 extenstion down GC or the M18 before it got eliminated

I forgot that the Q8 goes straight down Fountain Avenue without serving the post office.

When you isolate something from public transit, you are effectivly saying "If you can't get yourself here, we don't want you."

I would love to watch someone try and load a cart of lumber, or a new toliet from Home Depot on a bus.

O_o who would wanna carry a heavy ass toilet on the bus?!!??!? new saw that ever and i thing people have enough common sense not to do that!

but i say extend the 13 or this may sound crazy but a soon as the Bx bound 6 get across the bridge, Right turn on 87 and take that ramp down to the back of the mall . left turn on 149, quick turn on to River, serve the front as well and head back to 161... probably a long shot but its a option. as way for the manhattan bound 6.

O_o who would wanna carry a heavy ass toilet on the bus?!!??!? new saw that ever and i thing people have enough common sense not to do that!

but i say extend the 13 or this may sound crazy but a soon as the Bx bound 6 get across the bridge, Right turn on 87 and take that ramp down to the back of the mall . left turn on 149, quick turn on to River, serve the front as well and head back to 161... probably a long shot but its a option. as way for the manhattan bound 6.

That would make the Bx6 even more crowded and longer, The Bx13 would be the most obvious choice first of all the options. I even thought there was talk of extending it officially a while ago.

Reminds me of SI's Bricktown & the s74/(s84). This new Bronx mall absolutely should be serviced by (MTA)(NYCT) buses. As should Bricktowne by the 74/(84), & down the line, the 55 too.

The best thing about the Bronx Gateway Mall is that the entrance to most of the stores is on 151st Street and River Av as opposed to Exterior St. This allows for an easier walk from the mall to the subways and the buses on either 149th St or 161st Street.

Archived