Smile! Subway to snap your pic

LRG

The MTA is on track to create a subway ring of steel.

In an unprecedented security move, transit officials are ordering up 340 new subway cars that will come equipped for surveillance cameras, The Post has learned.

Instead of tearing up old subway cars and installing the wiring and hardware needed for security cameras -- a costly process -- the new cars will already have the technology built in, NYC Transit officials said.

The MTA will just have to pop in the cameras, and the cars will be ready to roll with their new surveillance equipment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/smile_subway_to_snap_your_pic_qIxoWcdW9XUni4CFk3NilO#ixzz0yD9mdDRZ

R179s anyone???

It says it in the article

"The new cars, known as R179s, would replace aging cars currently used on the A line."

Good. The (A) and the (C) will finally receive the attention they deserve. I like the R32s but the (A) and (C) does need an upgrade. It kinda does kill me seeing all the other lines with newer equipment.

Good. The (A) and the (C) will finally receive the attention they deserve. I like the R32s but the (A) and (C) does need an upgrade. It kinda does kill me seeing all the other lines with newer equipment.

Yeah well when the R179 comes in that means the R32/42s ill go byebye :(!

I wonder if the R46 thru R143 ill also get cameras.

Now to take my cam out and take picture of the cameras :P

There will be more of a reason to look good before going out. :)

What about the homeless?

Yeah well when the R179 comes in that means the R32/42s ill go byebye :)!

I wonder if the R46 thru R143 ill also get cameras.

Now to take my cam out and take picture of the cameras :P

What about the homeless?

READ the complete article, it says that it costs less to have the surveillance hardware built-in than having it done in-house.

READ the complete article, it says that it costs less to have the surveillance hardware built-in than having it done in-house.

I did................ But who knows if the T/A changed there mind in the FUTURE.

Wow , survallince camreas! Really! The MTA is really sucking hard to stop railfanners aren't they!

Well , just remember not to record in a R179 and you're golden!

At least now they will be able to get the dirty tramp that decides to relieve herself on the train floor! :P

Guest lance25

It has nothing to do with railfans and more to do with safety and security on the trains (or so they say). There are several videos of the set on the (E) with the cameras on YouTube.

Cameras are there to deter criminals, but the truth is it's only there to record things after they've already happened. There are kinds of people that cameras don't stop: terrorists who are willing to give up their lives; and people are are just too enraged to care about the consequences.

Wow , survallince camreas! Really! The MTA is really sucking hard to stop railfanners aren't they!

At least now they will be able to get the dirty tramp that decides to relieve herself on the train floor! :P

Have you been checked out at Bellevue yet? Sheesh!

The (MTA) doesn't care about railfans.

Besides u can still keep takin pixs and vids as u want as long as you don't use tripods/flash without permission. And not doing it in restricted zone..

Dude you seriously need help. All you do is foam! SMFH

If these cameras are going on the R179 then the Fulton St Line is a great choice to have surveillance...I wonder if the cameras are going in the same place as the set on the (E)

Who the took this video, i dont see a security camera in the vid. Of course i know where it is, right next to the center Isle route Destination/time LED board, on both side 4 cameras, 2 on one end and the other. RR4567 took a vid

Archived