Questions regarding R179 R188 R143 Train Cars

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

Ok Ok Bear with me on these questions , I'm not so into New Tech cars but my questions are About the R179's being on the (A)(C) Exclusive right , So wouldn't it make sense to make the Color Destination Front and Rear Blue to designate these lines?

(2) When these R188's come will they only be on the (7) and no other line?

In addition same purple color destinations Front & Rear .

(3) When and how long will it take to replace the Entire line of cars and where will the Surplus of cars go?

Last question , Will the R143 cars go anywhere else in the nearby future and does that line have Enough Cars to go around in case of breakdown , Just humor me on this ok ok Thanks for getting these interesting Questions answered the best way thanx.

Will these new cars only and only stay on these lines and no others

Ok Ok Bear with me on these questions , I'm not so into New Tech cars but my questions are About the R179's being on the (A)(C) Exclusive right , So wouldn't it make sense to make the Color Destination Front and Rear Blue to designate these lines?

(2) When these R188's come will they only be on the (7) and no other line?

In addition same purple color destinations Front & Rear .

(3) When and how long will it take to replace the Entire line of cars and where will the Surplus of cars go?

Last question , Will the R143 cars go anywhere else in the nearby future and does that line have Enough Cars to go around in case of breakdown , Just humor me on this ok ok Thanks for getting these interesting Questions answered the best way thanx.

1. I'm not sure, so I won't try to guess.

2. The R188s are staying exclusively on the (7), at least until some other IRT line gets CBTC (whenever that will happen).

3. The R188s are mostly R142 conversions...and the (6) and (7) will most likely swap fleets. The surplus might go to replace cars that have crashed and been scrapped.:confused:

(1) = I think its has to do with people seeing the route in the front/back, if it were blue or other color it may be harder to see, but depends. Same for the inside of the train

(2)Yes the R188 will be (7) only since its gonna become CBTC, not sure about ATO. The R142As will just be upgraded for CBTC(ATO not sure), and may come off the (6).

(3) If you mean how long it takes for delivery and where the payment goes for the rolling stock, delivery can take 3-6 yrs ( i think), payment goes to the builders of the cars

(4) The R143s ill stick with the (L) since they work with CBTC/ATO, if a break down occurs, an R160 ill replace it

1)It would be interesting for the (A) and (C) R179 to be blue. I would be in support of that. As long as visibility isn't a concern.

2)As far as I know the R188's are only for the (7) and no other lines. They already have a contractor which is Kawasaki and they are to arrive on 2013.

3)They mentioned that the last delivery of the R188's might be on 2016. So that means it might take them that long for the R62's on the (7) to leave.

4)The displaced R62/A's might go on the (1), (3), and maybe the (6).

5)There are spare R143's along with R160's, and the R143's were built specifically for the (L) if it's true and would not run on other lines. The R143's were suppose to help with the future crowding on the (L) line. No other line would gain an R143.

If they use single color LED's, they go with red or orange. They're not going to have blue only LED's, and just for a line they can be moved off of, and that assuming they are even assigned there to begin with.

What they could do is use color changing LED's, which is what I hope.

R179s are likely to get coloredrized FINDs but as for the front and back, No. The glare from the sun does something to colored LED light and down the line the electrics will eventurally become weak. Then you have a train pulling in with a flickering dim blue (A). Red doesn't get affected by the glare cuz red is a brighter and stronger color.

As for the R188s, same thing for the LEDs.

Lastly, The R143 were built exclusively for ATO on the (L). Not all R160s are able to run ATO, but yet they come CBTC ready. Only the R160s on the (L) and some spotty one on the (J) can run ATO so it the R143 got assigned to a different line, what will run on the ATO (L)? Unless (MTA) decided to put ATO on all 1,000+ R160s which both you and I know that will only happen when we elect a grey alien for a president.

Some great Responses thanx , I didn't even think off different color LED 's to Select and that's one MTA should of thought of.

I see from the input that R143's will have A back up

That I had A feeling but is why I asked you brainiacs. Seems to me that these new cars are gonna be A ? But again thanx for the Feedback

R179s are likely to get coloredrized FINDs but as for the front and back, No. The glare from the sun does something to colored LED light and down the line the electrics will eventurally become weak. Then you have a train pulling in with a flickering dim blue (A). Red doesn't get affected by the glare cuz red is a brighter and stronger color.

Lastly, The R143 were built exclusively for ATO on the (L). Not all R160s are able to run ATO, but yet they come CBTC ready. Only the R160s on the (L) and some spotty one on the (J) can run ATO so it the R143 got assigned to a different line, what will run on the ATO (L)? Unless (MTA) decided to put ATO on all 1,000+ R160s which both you and I know that will only happen when we elect a grey alien for a president.

but they are canceling ATO and cbtc on the (L) so then would it be possible for the (J)(M)(Z) to use a 143 if it is needed and the (L) to use an R42 if it's needed?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

but they are canceling ATO and cbtc on the (L) so then would it be possible for the (J)(M)(Z) to use a 143 if it is needed and the (L) to use an R42 if it's needed?

They're not cancelling it, all they're doing is updating the program for it. As we speak, some trains are back in ATO mode. The R143s are for the (L) and (L) only. The only reaason why the (M2) used R143s was for OPTO purposes. Back then it was just all R42s. I doubt there would be a car shortage severe enough fot the (J)(M)(Z) to use R143s sice there's more than enough R160s at ENY plus the little amount of R42s that's still clinging to life

Forgot to mention, the new PATH cars have color changing ones in front, and that is smaller text. I think, or at least hope, the reason (MTA) didn't use multicolor was just because of the cost. They are only about 10 years old (And blue itself only a few years older), so they were still new and expensive. By now, the cost is coming down, and you are finally seeing them more.

So hopefully, (MTA) might be willing to try it out. Whatever difference in visibility probably won't be that much. Especially if you fix the letter as white (which will make it even cheaper as you are using less of the color changing LED's).

I also don't see how the color will make any difference with the [physical] electronics in the sunlight.

Forgot to mention, the new PATH cars have color changing ones in front, and that is smaller text. I think, or at least hope, the reason (MTA) didn't use multicolor was just because of the cost. They are only about 10 years old (And blue itself only a few years older), so they were still new and expensive. By now, the cost is coming down, and you are finally seeing them more.

So hopefully, (MTA) might be willing to try it out. Whatever difference in visibility probably won't be that much. Especially if you fix the letter as white (which will make it even cheaper as you are using less of the color changing LED's).

I also don't see how the color will make any difference with the [physical] electronics in the sunlight.

It won't make too much of a difference at all. Diodes of all colors emit the same light intensity. The only problem is they are only available in white, amber, green, blue, purple, and yellow IIRC. That's leaves the (J), (L), and (Z) without a color designation. And the (T) will need a lighter blue as well.

Didn't R44's had blue stripes on the side till something made the the (MTA) remove them? If they wanted the cars in stainless steel wouldn't the MTA also want to keep R179s and R188s stainless steel?

Yes the R44/R46 had them but were removed during GOH. Idk if it had to do with Graffiti

R44 Shots:

SIRTOA:

img_24724.jpg

img_5692.jpg

Ok I have a semi-off topic, yet relevant question. How do you tell the difference between an R143 and an R160. And the same question for the R142 and R142A.

Question 1: The front of a R143 has the American flag below the MTA Logo, while the R160s have the American flag above the MTA Logo

Question 2: The R142 has uses pixels on the route number, like this:

142b.png

but in the R142A doesnt

142yg.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ok I have a semi-off topic, yet relevant question. How do you tell the difference between an R143 and an R160. And the same question for the R142 and R142A.

Same as the poster above plus

(1)for the R143 and 160,

-inside the R143 there is no FIND screen unlike the R160.

-The Storm door on the R143 is just like the OTT cars while the R160s is the same as the R142/As.

-The Disabled single seats on the R143 when raised goes fast like the R142/A, unlike the R160s which is now adjusted to raise back up slowly.

-The Propulsion noise of the R143 is exactly like the R142As.

-Car Numbers

(2)For the R142/As

-R142A looks a bit more shinier then the R142s

-Propulsion noise of the R142s is diff then the R142A/143

-The entry of the cab door on the R142 is toward the inside while the R142A is out.

-R142 LED route destination sign(with clock) blinks its text with a blank while R142A doesn't. (If u know what i mean)

-R142s interiors looks more squeezed in compared to the R142As

-The front route sign of the R142 looks a bit more darker red then the R142As which is lighter red

-HVAC noise on the R142 is much loader then the R142As and other fleets

-Car Numbers

-R142 runs 100% on the (2)(5), half on the (4), R142A runs 100% on the (6) and half on the (4).

I thought you'd know this has your from here -_-.

But for those who don't there you go.

Question 1: The front of a R143 has the American flag below the MTA Logo, while the R160s have the American flag above the MTA Logo

Question 2: The R142 has uses pixels on the route number, like this:

but in the R142A doesnt

Thanks. I needed that in laymans terms!

Same as the poster above plus

(1)for the R143 and 160,

-inside the R143 there is no FIND screen unlike the R160.

-The Storm door on the R143 is just like the OTT cars while the R160s is the same as the R142/As.

-The Disabled single seats on the R143 when raised goes fast like the R142/A, unlike the R160s which is now adjusted to raise back up slowly.

-The Propulsion noise of the R143 is exactly like the R142As.

-Car Numbers

(2)For the R142/As

-R142A looks a bit more shinier then the R142s

-Propulsion noise of the R142s is diff then the R142A/143

-The entry of the cab door on the R142 is toward the inside while the R142A is out.

-R142 LED route destination sign(with clock) blinks its text with a blank while R142A doesn't. (If u know what i mean)

-R142s interiors looks more squeezed in compared to the R142As

-The front route sign of the R142 looks a bit more darker red then the R142As which is lighter red

-HVAC noise on the R142 is much loader then the R142As and other fleets

-Car Numbers

-R142 runs 100% on the (2)(5), half on the (4), R142A runs 100% on the (6) and half on the (4).

I thought you'd know this has your from here -_-.

But for those who don't there you go.

Thanks. Even though I'm going to forget like 90% of this.

Also, just an FYI, you have to remember that not everyone is a subway buff. Before I joined this site, trains were just old and ragged, or new and pretty. I can always tell the difference from a 143 and a 160 from the interior because of the FIND, but that's it. I've learned a lot from you all over the last 2 years. The post by Yankee made it much easier to remember what train is what. You could blindfold me and I could tell you which model of bus is passing just off the sound, but trains are a different story, and I'm still learning everyday.

Thanks. I needed that in laymans terms!

Thanks. Even though I'm going to forget like 90% of this.

Also, just an FYI, you have to remember that not everyone is a subway buff. Before I joined this site, trains were just old and ragged, or new and pretty. I can always tell the difference from a 143 and a 160 from the interior because of the FIND, but that's it. I've learned a lot from you all over the last 2 years. The post by Yankee made it much easier to remember what train is what. You could blindfold me and I could tell you which model of bus is passing just off the sound, but trains are a different story, and I'm still learning everyday.

Here's the easiest way to tell the difference. R142s are the extremely loud and dirty trains while the R142As are the quieter high-pitched trains. R143s are the ones that sound like the R142As while the R160s sound like the R142s. The R143s have the American flag on the bottom while the R160s have the flag on the top (like INDman said). That's how an everyday passenger would remember it.

Archived