Trainz Sim NYCTA Pics

Strain

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here they are! Nine of the 15 configurations made it into the game without any visual flaws. I'm working on correcting the other problems as we speak. I decided to do splines to save the work of having to sort through different layouts/lengths for Division A vs Division B. Now, you can make them any length you'd like!

The definitions of the layouts are pretty straight-forward, but I have included an example station name from the NYC Subway for reference.

1T Station, (2)(3) Bergen Street, 50 St (E), 5 Av (E)(M)

NYCTA1T.jpg

1T Station, no trackside wall: Can be used for Astor Place-Spring St (6), or attached to a tunnel for CPW (:((C) or Eastern Pkwy (3) stations.

NYCTA1TNoWall.jpg

2T Station: self-explanatory lol

NYCTA2T.jpg

2T Island Station: self explanatory

NYCTA2TIsland.jpg

2T Island, no wall: I made this specifically for the off-set platforms at Union Square (4)(5)(6) and 42 St (A)(C)(E). But you can get creative and have tunnel bypass tracks a la CPW, as mentioned above.

NYCTA2TIslandNoWall.jpg

3T Island: Lower-level 145 St (:P(D)

NYCTA3TIsland.jpg

3T Station: local only

NYCTA3T.jpg

4T Station: local only

NYCTA4T.jpg

6T Station: local only, 135 St (B)(C)

NYCTA6T.jpg

Enjoy!

-A :cool:

I was going to start the Astoria section today but as I was looking at pics on nycsubway.org I noticed the track cat walk was a different shade.May I request a reskin:

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100218

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100219

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?101019

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?98405

if you choose not to then its ok.

Hey All--

The station package is continually being assaulted by the content creation gods, lol. On every export/import there are countless errors and spline issues, gap problems inherited from sketchup, etc etc. The list goes on and on!

Now, before I continue...I just wanna say that I AM NOT abandoning this project. I couldn't do that to the Trainz community.

What I am going to do is re-work some of the visual aspects of the splines, and reduce the number of objects in the package for the sake of the builders--so you don't have to sift through a ton of objects.

I'm still keeping the 15 configurations [i know the picture I uploaded has 14, but it didn't include the 2-track Island with one wall missing], but I'm going to include the stairs/exit in the spline, which means extending the splines from 10m to 25m long, and spacing them appropriately. This works out well, because I eliminate the need for 15 extra exit objects, and you could simply layout your station and slap the ends on there. No need to worry about placing the exits!

Plus, the benches were a little large, so I made them a tiny bit smaller.

I will commence this major overhaul this weekend and hopefully have everything going by Monday.

Oh, and @BStyles, the track-exit worked out perfectly in game--but (of course, thanks to the content gods), the sketchup file was not centered correctly, so it's off. I'm saving the config and am going to re-use it for the station ends!

Edited by Green Eggs n' Pelham

I was going to start the Astoria section today but as I was looking at pics on nycsubway.org I noticed the track cat walk was a different shade.May I request a reskin:

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100218

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100219

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?101019

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?98405

if you choose not to then its ok.

The catwalks are a different shade because when exposed to the sun for the amount of time that it has, it's color begins to fade(like what happens to old clothes). When MTA replaces the tracks the catwalk is replaced as well, so no.

BStyles you're missing a track piece. For the elevated track with 3rd rail and handrails on one side, you need to make another piece which has the third rail on the opposite side. If you make an elevated island station with the track on the right side, the third rail is facing the platform, and that's not good is it. ;)

BStyles you're missing a track piece. For the elevated track with 3rd rail and handrails on one side, you need to make another piece which has the third rail on the opposite side. If you make an elevated island station with the track on the right side, the third rail is facing the platform, and that's not good is it. ;)

All you have to do is change where you're laying the track. For example, if you have an island station, and you draw your track from top to bottom and the third rail is near the platform, simply draw your track from bottom to top. Problem solved. So, BStyles didn't forget anything. It's just a matter of how you lay your track.

Umm, if you look at the picture of the set BStyles posted, there are two variations of the one-handrail third-rail track. One has the handrail on the same side, and one has the handrail on the opposite side.

The one with it on that side is for junctions. I tried it but it looks so awkward for an island station because there's a gap between the edge and the station as well as you can see through the bottom.

Well, not to sound rude, but the 3rd rail diverge with the handrail will have to do for you right now. Knowing BStyles, he worked very hard on this el package for everyone to enjoy, and something as small as "well, there is a gap between the island and the track and you can see through the bottom" will be upsetting. Also, you can use the el girders in the package and place them underneath your track so they aren't see through--and you can also use the catwalks as well. Use "El Girder and Catwalk" in the track tab to place it directly under your track (holding shift so that the spline points don't automatically attach).

It just takes some exploring to get the desired results, as with all content. ;)

See, it took less than 30 seconds:

Island.jpg

Hope that helps!

I have begun work on the new station splines, with some new beams, and the exits put into the spline. The wooden benches will not be on the island platforms, just the side platforms with walls.

Here is a WIP shot of the newest (and 16th) configuration, titled "NYCTA 1T Bypass". It is predominantly used on the CPW line (;)(C), and the Eastern Pkwy line (3). This will not replace the 1T no wall, which will be used for offset platforms, as mentioned before.

NYCTA1TBypass-1.jpg

Forgot to add the pillars!

Well, not to sound rude, but the 3rd rail diverge with the handrail will have to do for you right now. Knowing BStyles, he worked very hard on this el package for everyone to enjoy, and something as small as "well, there is a gap between the island and the track and you can see through the bottom" will be upsetting. Also, you can use the el girders in the package and place them underneath your track so they aren't see through--and you can also use the catwalks as well. Use "El Girder and Catwalk" in the track tab to place it directly under your track (holding shift so that the spline points don't automatically attach).

It just takes some exploring to get the desired results, as with all content. :)

Hope that helps!

Yes that does help a lot! I can't believe I didn't think of that. ;)

Yeah I know that BStyles worked extremely hard on the El package and it is truly amazing and much more realistic than the previous one I was using.

I'd also like to point out something.

The 3rd rail is never on the side closest to the edge, because that's where the workers' catwalk is, and the electrical arc could shock them. Other than for crossovers, the 3rd rail is opposite the catwalk or handrail(unless the handrail is on both sides, which makes it obvious). This goes the same in subway tunnels as well.

I'm glad my el pack is favored by so many. The content looks very impressive. I'll have the alternate package out soon. Keep up the good work, guys!

Never mind, I found out a way to re-create the desired effect. Just select the normal elevated with 3rd rail track with handrails on both sides. When you lay down the track next to the elevated station, the station will cover the handrail!

Can't believe I didn't try that before! Thanks! :)

Been working all night (and trading model pics with BStyles :)), but I've finally finished all of the splines--tried to make them more realistic by copying the color scheme of the unique layouts. I also eliminated the benches on the island platforms--they got in the way! Also have new track pillars and dividing walls.

Here is DeKalb Avenue (B)(Q)(R):

NYCTA6TIslandBypass.jpg

Gonna start working on the Platform Ends tomorrow!

Enjoy!

I suppose these are IND/BMT platforms therefore the platforms will be a different width so there will be a much bigger gap when placing an IRT train? Unless the track placement will have to be slightly closer to the platform.

Why?

That is a waste of resources and a big headache for the developer. Neither Magicland, Jeffmorris, or my content was made like that, which was made in the event that the subway sets may be used for systems other than NYCTA. These will be splines however, so that you can make the stations 175 and 200 meters long.

@Strain: By the time you're finished making that station, it will already have exceeded 30,000 polygons(which is more than double the size of my R160 model), so there's no point. This is why Green Eggs n' Pelham is making the station splines and not separate stations from all across the system. If you want to name the stations we can always make re-nameable station signs.

Why?

That is a waste of resources and a big headache for the developer. Neither Magicland, Jeffmorris, or my content was made like that, which was made in the event that the subway sets may be used for systems other than NYCTA. These will be splines however, so that you can make the stations 175 and 200 meters long.

@Strain: By the time you're finished making that station, it will already have exceeded 30,000 polygons(which is more than double the size of my R160 model), so there's no point. This is why Green Eggs n' Pelham is making the station splines and not separate stations from all across the system. If you want to name the stations we can always make re-nameable station signs.

Jeffmorris DID make separate stations for IRT and BMT/IND.

I suppose these are IND/BMT platforms therefore the platforms will be a different width so there will be a much bigger gap when placing an IRT train? Unless the track placement will have to be slightly closer to the platform.

The gap will exist but it won't be a big deal. 8" in-game is a lot smaller than 8" is in SketchUp and you probably won't even be able to see it in-game unless you go out of your way to find it. The thing you'd have to worry about is station length, and BStyles and Green Eggs n' Pelham have made the stations splines so that you can adjust them to whatever length you need.