SIR station ideas.

Santa Fe via Willow

Tompkins Avenue-

Screaming out to be a train station. Easy access to/from the s52 & s78. Plus Waldbaum's is right there.

Page Avenue-

One BIG station to replace Richmond Valley & Nassau.

A new Atlantic, or Ellis St station-

One BIG station to replace the dilapidated Atlantic Station.

I`m sure there are other places that might be good SIR station candidates.

Page Avenue-

One BIG station to replace Richmond Valley & Nassau.

A new Atlantic, or Ellis St station-

One BIG station to replace the dilapidated Atlantic Station.

I`m sure there are other places that might be good SIR station candidates.

Arthur Kill Road is planned to replace Nassau and Atlantic.

I first read & heard about the planned & proposed Arthur Kill Rd SIR Station 6 or 7 years ago from SI Advance articles on microfilm. Apparently, if I remember correctly, it was planned back in 1989 or 1990. Its a good idea, with easy access to/from the 74/(84), but where is it?

I see no evidence any actual work has begun on the AK Rd SIR stop. If it were a movie it would be in development Hell, & have been there for decades now.

Nope not just that the SIR really needs to be extended. They can use the old North Shore Branch.[/i] Since they already ripped up the South Shore Branch they should build a light rail system there.

Thank God the North Shore branch's infrastructure wasn't torn down because there are plans to bring it back. As well as having a West Shore train.

If/when the HBLR is extended into SI, it'll dovetail beautifully with these trains.

Damn shame the South Beach branch's infrastructure was taken down.

I first read & heard about the planned & proposed Arthur Kill Rd SIR Station 6 or 7 years ago from SI Advance articles on microfilm. Apparently, if I remember correctly, it was planned back in 1989 or 1990. Its a good idea, with easy access to/from the 74/(84), but where is it?

I see no evidence any actual work has begun on the AK Rd SIR stop. If it were a movie it would be in development Hell, & have been there for decades now.

It's planned for in the 2010-2014 MTA Capital Plan, but it's not being built just yet because of a lack of money.

Arthur Kill Station will be between Nassau and Atlantic Stations with those stations closing.

Arthur Kill Station is planned/proposed for 2012 now. One feature is a planned/proposed 150 vehicle parking lot.

^ I know where the AK Rd station will be. I just drove over it for the umpteenth time yesterday. The AK Rd overpass.

I meant "Where is it?" as in there's yet to be one centimeter of labor done on it. That was cleared up already upthread.

Atlantic is in horrendous condition. Nassau's not much better.

• 4 months later...

A good location for an SIR station would be Rosebank between Grasmere, and Clifton. That location used to be served by the South Beach Branch in 1952, but since they already destroyed the South Beach Branch, the closest way to bring back a little of the South Beach service is to create a station at Rosebank.

The infrastructure for the North Shore Railway only exists in theory, not on the ground - where the tracks have been eroded by time, by water erosion - soil/plant over-growth, and the expansion of landuses such as factories, industries, restaurants and other land uses. There are no stations for the North Shore line that are a) in any useable condition, :o connected to any working useable rails, or are accessible to regular citizens, and c) several of the platforms simply do not exist - eroded by time and humans.

Yes, transit fans for decades have talked about restoring such a line - but plenty of money will be needed.

Just thought the information was needed.

Mike

The estimated cost to reactivate the North Shore Line is currently anywhere between 400-600 million dollars, but recently the community has been pushing to have the section of the North Shore Line that runs at sea level elevated so they could have access to the waterfront. That could raise the price for the North Shore Line to 1.2 billion dollars.

Is there a status for that? The TA doesn't seem to be acknowledging that proposal.

The estimated cost to reactivate the North Shore Line is currently anywhere between 400-600 million dollars, but recently the community has been pushing to have the section of the North Shore Line that runs at sea level elevated so they could have access to the waterfront. That could raise the price for the North Shore Line to 1.2 billion dollars.

Is this price for heavy rail or light rail?

From the Transport Politic it's 400 million for Light Rail, and 600 million for heavy rail. Since residents on the North Shore want access to the waterfront, and want the current at grade line to be elevated it would cost 1 billion for Light Rail, and 1.2 billion for Heavy Rail.

Also it isn't a good idea to relocate the section of the North Shore Line into a tunnel, because it is literally right at the waterfront so flooding would be a concern. Another problem is around here the bedrock is sandy soil, and is moist, and would not do well in holding a tunnel, but I believe it would be strong enough to hold on to the concrete pillars of an elevated line.

The question is, as Mike said, above, is where are you going to "reactivate" the line, especially between Saint George and Port Richmond? Look at the photo of the western portion of the former Livingston station I posted above.

It's like that all along Saint George to Port Richmond. A new line would have to be built and the section from Port Richmond to Arlington rebuilt, reactivated, and tied in to the new line.

Let me try this another way: You can (I think, I hope) rebuild, modernize and reactivate the former North Shore Line from Arlington to around Port Richmond (Park Avenue) (a lot of it appears to exist today but deteriorated), but between Port Richmond (Park Avenue) and Saint George, where a lot of the former North Shore Line doesn't exist anymore or exists in remnents and considering changes to the shoreline (both natural and man-made) since March 31, 1953, where do you build the section that will tie together the section at Port Richmond and the current SIR at Saint George?

Or do you extend HBLR from West Eighth Street, across the Bayonne Bridge, and tie that into the former North Shore Line now rebuilt, modernized, and reactivated and extend from Arlington along the West Shore toward Tottenville?

(Doing this would leave the S40 and S90 on Richmond Terrace to connect Saint George and a new Port Richmond Station)

• 4 months later...

Archived