Cortlandt St. Station (1)(R) Update

R32 3348

I was looking around for information on the complete reopening for both stations, since no one here seems to know when either station will completely reopen to the public.

(R) Station

As you all know, the northbound platform of Cortlandt St. opened just before Thanksgiving of 2009. But when is the southbound platform supposed to reopen? Well, according to this (MTA) press release, it's slated to open on September 11th, 2011, which is also the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks (this is also the date the 9/11 memorial plaza is set to open).

(1)Station

According to the PANYNJ's assessment of the WTC plan back in October 2008 (pages 27-30, 32, 50), construction of the Cortlandt St. station would be set to start during the third quarter of 2010, after excavation under and underpinning of the subway tunnel was completed. The timeline they give on page 50 states that if these two conditions are met, then the basic construction of the station would wrap up during the 3rd quarter of 2011, when station finishes would be applied. According to the Port Authority's 2010 2nd Quarterly Report, work on excavation was completed shortly after the 2nd quarter ended, and they have already started constructing the Cortlandt St. (1) station (page 11). That means that by this time next year (I'd assume by 09/11/11), Cortlandt St. (1) will reopen to the public.

Port Authority reports were obtained from http://www.wtcprogress.com.

That means that by this time next year (I'd assume by 09/11/11), Cortlandt St. (1) will reopen to the public.

Thanks I was looking for this news but one question...

Now why would they open it 10 years after the anniversary when it got destroyed? I think they should open it on 9/12/11 or 9/10/11. That's just me.

Thanks I was looking for this news but one question...

Now why would they open it 10 years after the anniversary when it got destroyed? I think they should open it on 9/12/11 or 9/10/11. That's just me.

It makes it more symbolic of how far the site has come in a 10-year span. Of course, if they could have made the design process more smooth and started construction sooner, we would have progressed further and we'd be past floor 36 on One World Trade Center.

I was looking around for information on the complete reopening for both stations, since no one here seems to know when either station will completely reopen to the public.

(R) Station

As you all know, the northbound platform of Cortlandt St. opened just before Thanksgiving of 2009. But when is the southbound platform supposed to reopen? Well, according to this (MTA) press release, it's slated to open on September 11th, 2011, which is also the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks (this is also the date the 9/11 memorial plaza is set to open).

(1)Station

According to the PANYNJ's assessment of the WTC plan back in October 2008 (pages 27-30, 32, 50), construction of the Cortlandt St. station would be set to start during the third quarter of 2010, after excavation under and underpinning of the subway tunnel was completed. The timeline they give on page 50 states that if these two conditions are met, then the basic construction of the station would wrap up during the 3rd quarter of 2011, when station finishes would be applied. According to the Port Authority's 2010 2nd Quarterly Report, work on excavation was completed shortly after the 2nd quarter ended, and they have already started constructing the Cortlandt St. (1) station (page 11). That means that by this time next year (I'd assume by 09/11/11), Cortlandt St. (1) will reopen to the public.

Port Authority reports were obtained from http://www.wtcprogress.com.

Expect Major G.O.'s on the (1) Because of this, Im not trying to start a (1) to New Lots again but its possible, or they will just send it to 14th (does Not make sense and never did) it would be better to send the (3) to 14th and have the (1) and (2) scrape the wall, have the (1) replace the (3), it would save time due to the fact that if the (1) goes to 14 it has to swicth south of 42nd, just to go to 42nd st.

Expect Major G.O.'s on the (1) Because of this, Im not trying to start a (1) to New Lots again but its possible, or they will just send it to 14th (does Not make sense and never did) it would be better to send the (3) to 14th and have the (1) and (2) scrape the wall, have the (1) replace the (3), it would save time due to the fact that if the (1) goes to 14 it has to swicth south of 42nd, just to go to 42nd st.

The only disruptions that are going to happen are typical weekend G.O.'s likely cutting the (1) back to either 14th St. or Chambers., and the (2)(3) running local. The old plans for months-long closures were because of the Port Authority having to excavate and underpin the (1) tunnel structure near the WTC site, but that's already been finished now under a more efficient plan.

The only disruptions that are going to happen are typical weekend G.O.'s likely cutting the (1) back to either 14th St. or Chambers., and the (2)(3) running local. The old plans for months-long closures were because of the Port Authority having to excavate and underpin the (1) tunnel structure near the WTC site, but that's already been finished now under a more efficient plan.

I Just Hate it when they do that, it makes no sense, they should just extend the (1), for a few weekends, it won't hurt, the (1) is just as long as the (3), why have all 3 lines scrape the wall and you could just have 2 scape the wall while the (3) is an express to 14th.

(2) local and no (3) is a f**king fail when the (1) goes to 14 St

Instead of making the (4) going to local to New Lots, the (1) should just replace the (3) via Eastern Pkwy and the (4) goes back to express. It seems like every weekend now its no (3) trains and (2) to 96 St

I Agree, The (1) would be better of going to New Lots, They can borrow the (3)'s R62's for the weekend to add on.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

(2) local and no (3) is a f**king fail when the (1) goes to 14 St

Instead of making the (4) going to local to New Lots, the (1) should just replace the (3) via Eastern Pkwy and the (4) goes back to express. It seems like every weekend now its no (3) trains and (2) to 96 St

That's for something totallu unrelated to the South Ferry project. What they're doing up there is replacing that switch where the (2) & (3) merge/diverge up in Harlem

That (1) Cortlandt Street stop hasn't been opened since 2001, I don't see any traces that that station ever existed every time I hop on the (1) to/from South Ferry while the (1) passes through there.

That's because the Cortlandt Street station doesn't exist anymore; it was essentially completely destroyed on 9/11. (http://nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:1058 has some pictures of the damage.) The station was directly under the World Trade Center. The reason the (1) was sent to Brooklyn for a year after words was so they could clear all the debris (demolishing what was left of the station) and repair/replace the tracks.

The reason it's the only station that hasn't reopened yet is because there's nothing there to open.

Archived