Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Gruesome Car Crash in Staten Island

Bx41 Wakefield

One dead in gruesome car crash on Staten Island

By C.J. SULLIVAN, KIRSTEN FLEMING and CANDICE M. GIOVE

Last Updated: 3:27 PM, September 4, 2010

Posted: 9:29 AM, September 4, 2010

A wild, high-speed drag race on Staten Island had deadly consequences early today when a 20-year-old driver slammed into a gas pump and set off a spectacular explosion.

Philip Scrivano, 20, of Meiers Corners, was driving his 2009 Honda in excess of 100 mph as he headed eastbound on Bay Street in Thompkinsville just before 2 a.m. when he apparently lost control, police sources said.

"Those guys were drag racing," one eyewitness said. "He lost control on what I call, ‘dead man’s curve.’"

After reaching the tricky turn, Scrivano struck a parking meter. He then smashed into a utility pole, where he was thrown from the car, which burst into flames.

Scrivano was pronounced dead at the scene.

Scrivano's passenger, a 25-year-old male, suffered cuts to his head and was taken to Richmond University Medical Center, where he's in stable condition.

Remains of the Scrivano's body were found at the scene. The car was torn apart.

It's unclear whether the other car was involved in the accident.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island/one_dead_after_gruesome_car_crash_MLGdp0JmgPcXiaOsglOZ7K?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

My friend that drives me between boroughs also likes to cut in front of other cars and speed. He usually drives safely and within the limits, but sometimes he won't refuse a race if he sees another car doing what that dead guy did.

Many of these young speed-demons in their souped up cars drive around doing double the speed limit, tailgating, swerving lanes, etc., as if they're gonna live forever.:P

The best new thing now is for example I've seen a few Infiniti's g35 coupes all black, black tinted windows and no respect for the people behind them, why? because they tint their taillights so the car is a solid black, but these morons don't understand when they hit their brakes during daylight, you cannot see the taillights light up when their stopping.

My friend that drives me between boroughs also likes to cut in front of other cars and speed. He usually drives safely and within the limits, but sometimes he won't refuse a race if he sees another car doing what that dead guy did.

I used to be like that and one day trying to be a hero & race someone on the highway I lost control of my mothers brand new car and hit a wall on the highway, luckily my friend wasn't hurt & the car didn't flip. There was no real damage accept the front bumper but man I felt like shit. Had to lie to my mother & tell her a bullshit story...horrible. Your friend needs to calm down and drive like a human. Or do that shit when he's alone pal.

My friend that drives me between boroughs also likes to cut in front of other cars and speed. He usually drives safely....

If he's doing that then NO, HE IS NOT DRIVING SAFELY. The problem with drivers like your friend isn't the fact that he wants to become a statistic, it's that innocent, safe drivers often get caught up in his bullshit as a result.

A week before Turkey Day in 2003, I responded for one on Hylan Blvd right down the block from the 122 PCT. 2 16 year-olds on a date, and they both died. It was not a pretty sight, and it is one I will remember for the rest of my life. There is still a memorial on the pole they hit.

What was the supposed cause of the accident?

Those crashes suck, and Staten Island is notorious for them.

A week before Turkey Day in 2003, I responded for one on Hylan Blvd right down the block from the 122 PCT. 2 16 year-olds on a date, and they both died. It was not a pretty sight, and it is one I will remember for the rest of my life. There is still a memorial on the pole they hit.

I think I know the area. I past by it while skating along Hylan from Richmond Avenue to Luten Avenue, where the high school is.

I am sure that if Staten Island had better transit options (like my map below). Then Staten Island wouldn't have a high car rate and wouldn't have to get cars or they wouldn't have used it frequently and this wouldn't have happened.

Extension8.jpg?t=1283876239

Archived