College Point Depot

Calvin

In College Point, there are lots of bus transfers for the 30xx, 31xx, 32xx, 33xx and 34xx MCIs but are the CNGs still runnin for Express. The reason why I am askin is because mostly 7240-7285 and now 8568-8582 and 9995-9998 has been in Local routes now.Also, why did the 18xx and 19xx coaches drop down from 30 to 10?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I'm no expert but I would assume that the 18xx's and 19xx's have been retired. You would see an O5 on an express route, it depends if the driver picks it or its available to run

In College Point, there are lots of bus transfers for the 30xx, 31xx, 32xx, 33xx and 34xx MCIs but are the CNGs still runnin for Express. The reason why I am askin is because mostly 7240-7285 and now 8568-8582 and 9995-9998 has been in Local routes now.Also, why did the 18xx and 19xx coaches drop down from 30 to 10?

Don't worry, if you take CP express bus, then only worry about a bus coming to stop. Who care what CP depot have, only wait for MCI bus to come. If you don't worry, then you won't be anxious about CP bus. Only worry if you get a hard seat on CP express bus.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I'm no expert but I would assume that the 18xx's and 19xx's have been retired. You would see an O5 on an express route, it depends if the driver picks it or its available to run

The 18 and 1900's are still going strong. I saw one yesterday on the QM4.

There is a bunch of them parked in Eastchester,either for lease returns or waiting to head to other depots.

Several CNGs still run on the express, and not ALL of the 8500s & 7200s are converted to local/hard seats.

There is a bunch of them parked in Eastchester,either for lease returns or waiting to head to other depots.

Yessir. Some of them even performed quite terribly after they got sent out of EAS to CP and other depots.

wow thats rare, I think mostly Spring Creek is now gettin get its 18xx and 19xx since 2008

There are about 60 18-19XX buses at ECH. I'm not sure what's up with them, as I thought the leases were coming to an end. But aside from that, they are about 12 years old now, so I would imagine they still have a little life left.

There are about 60 18-19XX buses at ECH. I'm not sure what's up with them, as I thought the leases were coming to an end. But aside from that, they are about 12 years old now, so I would imagine they still have a little life left.

(MTA) is very F*&cking dumb if they get rid of those MCI's, It would be smart to sell them to other companies rather than letting them sit there.

(MTA) is very F*&cking dumb if they get rid of those MCI's, It would be smart to sell them to other companies rather than letting them sit there.

Now this I agree with, those MCI buses not being used should go to College Point to boot out the CNGs.

Now this I agree with, those MCI buses not being used should go to College Point to boot out the CNGs.

The only thing is that some of those CNGs perform much better than the MCIs. When CP was getting an influx of those DL3s, breakdowns were left and right. The only ones that were actually good were the ones that came out of Michael J. Quill depot.

That i agree wit u bcause mostly SC has mostly those MCIs 18xx and 19xx to get rid of CNGs in 2008 but now in 2010, MCIs 18xx and 19xx are back at SC in May 2010 bcause of College Point problems. Before June 27 2010, i thought there lots of 18xx and 19xx at College Point because they gettin rid of CNGs but idk wat will happen in the future

The only thing is that some of those CNGs perform much better than the MCIs. When CP was getting an influx of those DL3s, breakdowns were left and right. The only ones that were actually good were the ones that came out of Michael J. Quill depot.

MJQ has good maintenance though. Thats the key with 10-12 year old MCIs that are being run hard everyday. You can't keep deferring things, at Bonanza all of our "oldies but goodies" run like brand new because our maintenance foreman is very anal about how he wants the buses and he's assembled a team of mechs with the same attitude.

IMO, while the MCIs were built for commuter work, I think the constant stop and go of NYC has gotten to the 18/19xx series. Plus I think the MTA did themselves a big disservice ordering retarders instead of jakes. Retarders generate alot of heat in stop and go traffic I have seen the transmission temp go up to 300 degrees and stay there....not what you want to see if you want to keep a B500R happy. Governing them down doesn't help either,those engines are built to run, Peter Pan is finding that out the hard way as many of their older 96-99 DL3s started blowing engines after being cut to 65mph.

Honestly though, I think with a midlife overhaul (done the right way,not like what they did to those ex Bee Lines) they could get another 3-5 years outta those buses

MJQ has good maintenance though. Thats the key with 10-12 year old MCIs that are being run hard everyday. You can't keep deferring things, at Bonanza all of our "oldies but goodies" run like brand new because our maintenance foreman is very anal about how he wants the buses and he's assembled a team of mechs with the same attitude.

IMO, while the MCIs were built for commuter work, I think the constant stop and go of NYC has gotten to the 18/19xx series. Plus I think the MTA did themselves a big disservice ordering retarders instead of jakes. Retarders generate alot of heat in stop and go traffic I have seen the transmission temp go up to 300 degrees and stay there....not what you want to see if you want to keep a B500R happy. Governing them down doesn't help either,those engines are built to run, Peter Pan is finding that out the hard way as many of their older 96-99 DL3s started blowing engines after being cut to 65mph.

Honestly though, I think with a midlife overhaul (done the right way,not like what they did to those ex Bee Lines) they could get another 3-5 years outta those buses

Yeah I know, but MJQ's DL3s were also shot to hell except for one bus which was 1866, the MCIs they were receiving during the spring came from storage and some of them broke down on the FDR, then they were soon shipped over to College Point & Spring Creek depots.

The one thing that has always bugged me is that why dont they do a type of overhaul so the reliability of these DL3s would be much better, the ones over at the Island are dropping like flies.

Governing these MCIs is probably the worst things to have ever been done to a bus of this class. A good majority of our MCIs just crawl on the NJ Turnpike while Coach USA & New Jersey Transit's MCIs just dust our MCIs and more. Its a driving hazard at times when a MCI is just crawling on a highway when other cars/buses are going well over 55, well over 45 for that matter!

Yeah I know, but MJQ's DL3s were also shot to hell except for one bus which was 1866, the MCIs they were receiving during the spring came from storage and some of them broke down on the FDR, then they were soon shipped over to College Point & Spring Creek depots.

I didn't know that about MJQs MCIs. They always looked in good shape and they always roared outta the garage.

The MTA must be smoking some good stuff if they think they can store buses for a couple of months and just pull them out one day and place them back into service....AND think they'll be okay. Fluids need to be checked and changed,filters replaced,brakes adjusted,etc. I bet my paycheck that they pull those MCIs outta storage at Eastchester with no pre-service checks and send them to the depots.

The one thing that has always bugged me is that why dont they do a type of overhaul so the reliability of these DL3s would be much better, the ones over at the Island are dropping like flies.

IMHO,The MTA needs to insitute a "rolling" overhaul program with the MCIs ASAP. While this means that alot of guys will lose their favorite buses it will insure that no depot will be left short on their express fleet.

Governing these MCIs is probably the worst things to have ever been done to a bus of this class. A good majority of our MCIs just crawl on the NJ Turnpike while Coach USA & New Jersey Transit's MCIs just dust our MCIs and more. Its a driving hazard at times when a MCI is just crawling on a highway when other cars/buses are going well over 55, well over 45 for that matter!

Agreed. Any bus that touches any highway should be a 65mph MINIMUM. Any thing lower than that is a safety hazard.

1 question for Spring Creek:

Even though this thread is about College Point, i was wonderin about the fleet on Saturdays and i was wondering:

(1) Why does Saturdays not have Dwtwn Loop or Super Express?

(2) Does all BM routes use only 31xx, 32xx and 33xx buses not 22xx, 18xx, 19xx and 74xx buses on Saturdays?

a few 18xx's are at LIB for LIRR Bustitution Service

Even though this thread is about College Point, i was wonderin about the fleet on Saturdays and i was wondering:

(2) Does all BM routes use only 31xx, 32xx and 33xx buses not 22xx, 18xx, 19xx and 74xx buses on Saturdays?

(1) : Ridership does not meet with the demands.

(2) : I seen a few DL3s and CTs this past Saturday working the lines.

From what I saw last Saturday, the BM routes had mostly 2200s and a few 3000s too.

From what I saw last Saturday, the BM routes had mostly 2200s and a few 3000s too.

me 2 mostly BM3 has like 1/2 3xxx and 22xx on Saturday but when reachin its destination, it makes it shuttle back, only 10 minute breaks for drivers according to the Saturday BM schedule

Archived