What letters can be used for future BMT/IND lines?

R160

The (S) between Times Square and Grand Central is technically the 0 line just as the (S) in the Rockaways is really the (H). I don't know if the (S) between Franklin Avenue and Prospect Park has any internal designation. It's probably more confusing to have 3 lines using the same name.

The internal designation for the Franklin Shuttle is S. For 42 St, it's 0, and for Rockaway, it's H, like you stated.

Right, why do they separate it internally when obviously people who don't work for the MTA need the most help? :confused:

IMO, we need a new route bullet system that has some connection with the physical location/destination of the route. If someone tells me to take the (7), that gives me no information in and of itself. I have to go look on a map to find out where the hell the (7) even is and where it goes. Now what if someone tells me to take the Flushing line? I have some idea of what I'm looking for without being tied to the subway map. The difficulty here would be coming up with a happy medium between (1)(2)(3) simplicity and "Pelham Bay Park via Lexington Ave" comprehensiveness.

IDK, just some thoughts, not like we're really going to be ditching the bullets anytime soon. :(

We already have the descriptions in the trains, like (N) via Broadway Local, or <7> via Flushing Express. Also, very few other cities (if any) do not use some sort of geography-less designation (e.g. Red Line, Line 2, G Line).

As for the first question, when a passenger makes a mistake, he/she asks an employee. When an MTA Operations Dept. worker makes a mistake, train service can be snarled or mistakenly rerouted.

U and V are the most logical deductions for supplementary Second Avenue service... T, U, V... the alphabet would be great.

X and Y could be used, though I can't imagine for what.

As for zero, why would there be a zero train? Numerical designations are for IRT lines. There will never be another line built to IRT specs ever again. Not to mention that zero isn't really a number... O would make more sense.

The internal designation for the Franklin Shuttle is S. For 42 St, it's 0, and for Rockaway, it's H, like you stated.
For job numbers, Franklin is FS and Grand Central is GS. I've also seen in other uses (like Operations Planning) where Franklin was again FS and Grand Central is just S. I also used to hear it was 8 somewhere, also.

U and V are the most logical deductions for supplementary Second Avenue service... T, U, V... the alphabet would be great.

X and Y could be used, though I can't imagine for what.

As for zero, why would there be a zero train? Numerical designations are for IRT lines. There will never be another line built to IRT specs ever again. Not to mention that zero isn't really a number... O would make more sense.

What if they ever decide to build a line that branched off the Flushing Line toward College Point or Whitestone? That would have to be built to IRT specs. But I'd use 8 or 9 for that line, not 0.

Archived