Daily News reporter finds it's still easy to steal a bus in wake of Darius McCollum's arrest

Harry

Darius was right. It is easy to steal a bus.

Just four days after mass-transit menace Darius McCollum swiped a Trailways bus from a Hoboken depot and drove it through Manhattan to Kennedy Airport, I nearly repeated the act.

In broad daylight Saturday, I returned to the same depot and retraced his footsteps. Only good sense - not guards - kept me from driving off.

Motor coaches from numerous bus lines sat in the sun, some of them with their doors wide open. They were almost crying out to be taken. A fence topped with barbed wire circled the bus depot, but it might as well have not been there. They left the gate open. I didn't see any security guards - only a few drivers and mechanics.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/05/2010-09-05_untitled__2bus05m.html#ixzz0yi7QsUrd

post-1-133288582175_thumb.jpg

We did it again.

For the second day in a row, a Daily News reporter boarded a bus just ripe for the stealing at a Trailways depot in Hoboken, N.J.

Yesterday it was my turn to visit the lot that's a favorite of transit-obsessed Darius McCollum. It's where he swiped a Trailways bus last Tuesday that he used to give flight attendants in Manhattan a free ride to Kennedy Airport.

Surely, there'd be stepped-up security at the depot, I thought - stern guards, snarling dogs, "No Trespassing" signs.

Something.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/06/2010-09-06_for_2nd_straight_day_news_finds_trailways_bus_with_key__boards_it_at_nj_depot_bu.html#ixzz0ylDXaspi

post-1-133288582177_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582177_thumb.jpg

Oh, American Media. How you encourage rabid transit fans and pubescent teenagers to march over there and steal buses for jollies! The rejects of the world would safely assume the area was secure, that is, until you run off and perform your "exposé" that you probably learned how to do while majoring in communications at some prestigious New York university. Your parents in suburbia would be proud.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Wow this is sad how do just leave things so openly takeable?

That could be any garage for any company. Trailways is not the only ones who do that.

The only time I've seen them crackdown on locking the doors was last year during a terror alert. And they had to back down on that because it was winter time and the locks were freezing.

I don't why they don't turn off the battery....you can't open the door with the battery off,even with the air dumped.

Archived