Create your own bus route!

Broadway Local

1 minute ago, danig1220 said:

@engineerboy6561 and @Jova42R

I have decided to make some changes.

QBx2A: gone, reduced to atoms.

QBx2B -> QBx2

QBx2 - Riverdale to LGA

(All hours; $4.00 flat fare, both directions)

Northbound

via Astoria Blvd, Major Deegan Expressway, Sedgwick Avenue, Kingsbridge Road, Broadway (Bronx)

S/B

Via 263rd Street, Riverdale Avenue, Broadway (Manhattan), 207th Street, Major Deegan Expressway, Astoria Blvd

Notices:

N/B: No stops between Astoria Blvd/77th Street and Kingsbridge Road/Segdewick Avenue. For Inwood riders, free transfer at 225/Broadway to Bx7.

S/B: No stops between Ditmars/82rd Street and Fordham Rd/Sedgwick Avenue

Any edits could occur so beware

I'd say run NB buses up Riverdale Av/HH Pkwy, but its your route.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

SIM50

GWB Bus Station to New Dorp via:

HH Pkwy - 79 St - Bway - 42 St - Lincoln Tunnel - US 1-9 - I78 - NJ440 - Richmond Av - Hylan Blvd.

Thoughts @danig1220 @checkmatechamp13 @Deucey

I don’t think we should have another bus route clogging up the Lincoln Tunnel. I would propose making it go through Brooklyn instead.

Just now, danig1220 said:

Ok then.

It could run via Brooklyn IF somehow we could access the north shore easily. But, also you could say that most of the traffic on the Tunnel is from I95, this is via 1-9. That’s the rationale.

38 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

SIM50

HH Pkwy - 79 St - Bway - 42 St - Lincoln Tunnel - US 1-9 - I78 - NJ440 - Richmond Av - Hylan Blvd.

Thoughts @danig1220 @checkmatechamp13 @Deucey

If there’s a demand to go from New Dorp to the GWB why not just run it up the turnpike or 1/9 to the GWB? Going thru the tunnel to TSQ to the GWB takes more time than just going straight to it.

Just now, Deucey said:

If there’s a demand to go from New Dorp to the GWB why not just run it up the turnpike or 1/9 to the GWB? Going thru the tunnel to TSQ to the GWB takes more time than just going straight to it.

I was also thinking about that.

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

SIM50

Unnecessary backtrack.

46 minutes ago, Deucey said:

He'd need the ridership from anyone seeking to get off between 42nd & 79th.... A straight shot from SI to GWB with no intermediate stops would carry air.

In other words, there's no need for something like what he's proposing to even run up to 79th, let alone GWB terminal... This is yet another one of his "via Henry Hudson Pkwy." creations/suggestions....

Edited by B35 via Church

22 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

He'd need the ridership from anyone seeking to get off between 42nd & 79th.... A straight shot from SI to GWB with no intermediate stops would carry air.

In other words, there's no need for something like what he's proposing to even run up to 79th, let alone GWB terminal... This is yet another one of his "via Henry Hudson Pkwy." creations/suggestions....

I didn’t wanna say anything like this but...

34 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Unnecessary backtrack.

I proposed earlier a SIM12C that would run from 79th-York to Tottenville. I just thought that uptown residents might want to go to SI.

Would the SIM12C work?

10 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I proposed earlier a SIM12C that would run from 79th-York to Tottenville. I just thought that uptown residents might want to go to SI.

Would the SIM12C work?

The question when it comes to things like uptown residents wanting to go all the way down to SI is what's going to draw them and how many is it going to draw. I don't know enough about SI to critique the SI routing of it, though I'm not sure that those areas need another bus considering how much of the route duplicates the SIM4 on the northern half of the SI stretch. In Manhattan I could see it filling a gap along the West Side if you ran it along 10th and 11th Aves (making it a better option for everyone from 8 Av west if you live near the route. The routing up to 81 St and beyond isn't bad per se, but I'm not sure you'd carry any ridership past Lenox Hill Hospital on Lexington, as beyond that most of the buildings are residential, and since SI is basically all residential you're not really going to see many people commuting to 79th and 3 Av or 79th and York. I'd say it's maybe OK, but I don't know if it has a strong enough catchment area in Manhattan to be successful.

I'm also not really sure how much sense it makes to take 1&9 to 78 instead of just taking 95 to the Goethals; Google Maps quotes I95 as being 40-60 min during rush, while 1&9/78/440 gets quoted as 45-100 min during rush because of heavy traffic on both 1&9 and 440. You're better off just putting up with I95.

Edited by engineerboy6561

17 hours ago, danig1220 said:

@engineerboy6561 and @Jova42R

I have decided to make some changes.

QBx2A: gone, reduced to atoms.

QBx2B -> QBx2

QBx2 - Riverdale to LGA

(All hours; $4.00 flat fare, both directions)

Northbound

via Astoria Blvd, Major Deegan Expressway, Sedgwick Avenue, Kingsbridge Road, Riverdale Avenue

S/B

Via 263rd Street, Broadway (Manhattan and The Bronx), 207th Street, Harlem River Drive to FDR Drive, Astoria Blvd

Notices:

N/B: No stops between Astoria Blvd/77th Street and Kingsbridge Road/Segdewick Avenue. For Inwood riders, free transfer at 225/Broadway to Bx7.

S/B: No stops between Ditmars/82rd Street and 10th Avenue/207th Street

EDIT: S/B via FDR Drive to the RFK Bridge

I have decided to make some changes.

QBx2 -> X50 (LGA Link)

@Jova42R , I suggest you do the same.

X50 - Riverdale to LGA

(All hours; $8.00 flat fare, both directions)

Northbound

via Astoria Blvd, Major Deegan Expressway, Sedgwick Avenue, Kingsbridge Road, Riverdale Avenue

S/B

Via 263rd Street, Broadway (Manhattan and The Bronx), 207th Street, Harlem River Drive to FDR Drive, Astoria Blvd

Notices:

Just now, danig1220 said:

I have decided to make some changes.

QBx2 -> X50 (LGA Link)

@Jova42R , I suggest you do the same.

X50 - Riverdale to LGA

(All hours; $8.00 flat fare, both directions)

Northbound

S/B

Notices:

$8? You'd get no takers. Just keep the QBx2.

5 hours ago, danig1220 said:

So how should we advertise it then.

Express routes of that nature are naturally difficult to run and fill on a regular basis; the only reason express bus routes work into Manhattan is because so many people work in Midtown and Downtown that you can safely assume that a few thousand people from any given set of neighborhoods is going to want transportation to some subset of Midtown and Downtown Manhattan. Even then, most of the express routes in the city take 5th and 6th (or 5th and Madison) because those streets are reasonably centrally located, and so the buses can have a wide catchment area in Manhattan and serve as much of Midtown and Downtown as possible. Singular destinations like LGA aren't likely to have the sort of draw where you can assume that a few thousand people a day in any given neighborhood in the city are going to go to and from there on a daily basis.

Travel to and from the airport on a daily basis from the Bronx is most likely going to come from airport workers, many of whom likely live in the Bronx but who likely live spread out all over the Bronx, which means that an express line to a particular neighborhood is going to capture very little of that ridership because now everyone who wants to use your service has to go to that specific neighborhood to get where they're going. If your express bus is in Riverdale and airport workers live in Morrisania or West Farms they're looking at 45-60 minutes to backtrack to your route and then 65-90 minutes on your route to get where they're going (at which point they just say f**k it and keep taking the Bx15 or the (5) to the M60).

In a situation like that your best bet for a Bronx-LGA route would likely be this expanded Bx55 revival. It runs from Norwood-205 St on the north end to LGA on the south end via Bainbridge Av, Gun Hill Rd, Webster Av, 3 Av, and Astoria Blvd. Buses would stop at: 205 St/Bainbridge Av (first stop), Van Cortlandt Pk E/Bainbridge Av, Gunhill Rd/Bainbridge Av, Gunhill Rd/Webster Av, Bedford Park Bl/Webster Av, Fordham Plaza, 183 St/3 Av, 180 St/3 Av, Tremont Av/3 Av, Claremont Pkwy/3 Av, 168 St/3 Av, 163 St/3 Av,  156 St/3 Av, 149 St/3 Av, 138 St/Lincoln Av, 31 St/Astoria Bl, Steinway St/Astoria Bl, 77 St/Astoria Bl, 82 St/Astoria Bl,  87 St (SB only), 94 St (SB only), Terminal D, Terminal C, Terminal B and Terminal A.

Overall runtime would be a bit long; based off existing schedules I'd guess 15 mins from 205 St to Williamsbridge, 15 from Williamsbridge to Fordham Plaza, 40 from Fordham Plaza to Mott Haven, and then 35 from Mott Haven to the airport, bringing total runtime to about 100-120 minutes; that would put it in the same general ballpark as the Q44 and the old M5 as far as length goes. Providing service every 10 mins as a replacement for the Bx15 LTD requires about 30-35 buses, which is quite a lot. My first thought would be to split it between KB and CS and have rush hour put-ins and short-turns at Fordham Plaza as needed. 

Basically at that point the 3 Av corridor would have all-day limited-stop service to Queens, all-day limited-stop service to Manhattan as well, and then local service between Fordham Plaza and The Hub. I'd set headways on the Bx15LTD service and the Bx55LTD service to 10mins peak, 15 minutes off-peak, and then have the Bx15 local run every 5-8 minutes. That then gives you local and limited-stop service each coming every 5-8 minutes, and means you're now serving multiple markets. Airport workers living within walking distance of Webster Av and 3 Av now have a one-seat ride to LGA, the west Bronx has a time-competitive two-seat ride to LGA, and the 3 Av corridor has enough intra-Bronx ridership that a 3 Av limited service would be sustainable regardless of connections to other boroughs. That combo should provide more than enough ridership to justify the use of resources.

Edited by engineerboy6561

Are there any Bronx-Queens bus demands other than Bronx Park and Parkchester to Jamaica (Q44 +SBS) and Co-op City to Flushing (Q50 LTD). I want to know so I don’t make a tomfoolery of myself.

Edited by danig1220

1 minute ago, danig1220 said:

Are there any Bronx-Queens bus demands other than Bronx Park and Parkchester to Jamaica (Q44 +SBS) and Co-op City to Flushing (Q50 LTD). I want to know so I don’t make a tomfoolery of myself.

See my post above for a Bronx-western Queens line that could probably work (as would a similar setup using a modified Bx41 line, or maybe even something via Southern Blvd or the Grand Concourse). You might also be able to run something from Co-Op City through Throgs Neck down Bell and Springfield Blvds, but that's sufficiently residential once you get past QCC that I don't know how well it will carry.

3 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

See my post above for a Bronx-western Queens line that could probably work (as would a similar setup using a modified Bx41 line, or maybe even something via Southern Blvd or the Grand Concourse). You might also be able to run something from Co-Op City through Throgs Neck down Bell and Springfield Blvds, but that's sufficiently residential once you get past QCC that I don't know how well it will carry.

I might have to think about something.

Here's a BxQ4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s3qOsuT46EbAnAeWCtTwi7l2Gve-jReF&usp=sharing

Wakefield - Williamsbridge - Baychester - Co-Op City - Pelham Bay - Throgs Neck - North Flushing - LGA

Makes local stops in Bronx until Buhre Av/Bruckner, then no stops until Whitestone/Linden, then no stops until LGA Terminals.

SPLIT between LGA and Eastchester Depots, uses MCI D4500CL and XD40. Uses OMNY, $2.75

Thoughts?

YES, THERE IS A WEST BRONX COUNTERPART IN THE WORKS! THESE MAPS ARE JUST HARD TO MAKE! I SHOULD HAVE IT SOON.

@Jova42R here is my attempt at a West Bronx-LGA route.

NEW Bx55 LTD - Wakefield - Mott Haven - Astoria - LGA 

via Webster Avenue, 3rd Avenue (S/B only past 149th Street), Willis Avenue (N/B only), and Astoria Blvd

Limited stops from 241st Street (2) and Gun Hill Road (2)(5) to Fordham Plaza (MNRR). Then limited stops from Fordham/3rd and 138/(3rd Southbound, Willis Northbound). No stops between 138/(3rd or Willis) and Astoria/Hoyt, then follows the M60 to LGA.

7 minutes ago, danig1220 said:

@Jova42R here is my attempt at a West Bronx-LGA route.

NEW Bx55 LTD - Wakefield - Mott Haven - Astoria - LGA 

via Webster Avenue, 3rd Avenue (S/B only past 149th Street), Willis Avenue (N/B only), and Astoria Blvd

Limited stops from 241st Street (2) and Gun Hill Road (2)(5) to Fordham Plaza (MNRR). Then limited stops from Fordham/3rd and 138/(3rd Southbound, Willis Northbound). No stops between 138/(3rd or Willis) and Astoria/Hoyt, then follows the M60 to LGA.

I’d say what would be better is to start something in Kingsbridge and then run it through University Heights maybe getting on the highway near Highbridge and then no stops to LGA

Edited by Jova42R