Create your own bus route!

Broadway Local

5 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

If you're going to Gun Hill you don't want to drop down and cross over the park on Allerton; you're better off doing Gun Hill Rd all the way through to Montefiore Hospital and Norwood, then drop down to Target or Riverdale from there (mostly because a whole chunk of ridership is going to be coming and going around the hospital, and if you serve Bedford Park instead you're gonna miss it. You really ought to keep Gun Hill/Montefiore/Norwood on a corridor and Allerton/NYBG/Bedford Park on a corridor for efficiency and ridership reasons. If you wanted to run your limited bus via Gun Hill Rd/Bainbridge Av/Mosholu Pkwy/205 St/Paul Av/Sedgwick Av and then over to upstairs Riverdale or down to 231 St that would make a lot of sense (as would Allerton/Bedford Park Blvd/Paul Av/Sedgwick Av then to Riverdale or Target), but crossing the streams the way you did is going to cost you ridership and make your line less efficient.

I changed the map to keep the corridor, but serve target at 225th, skipping 242nd. I'd say during the rush, Bx14s run to 242nd, skipping Target, then to 232nd.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

It's better, but I could see Fieldston and Spuyten Duyvil throwing a bloody fit at having buses roll through their neighborhoods. Also the streets you're looking to serve there are really narrow and winding; I'm unsure if a full 40' bus would fit on that little loop down Palisade Av. @Via Garibaldi 8 would probably know better than me how that one would go, but I suspect not well. Also, I'm not sure why you split the limited-stop service between Gun Hill Av and Burke Av the way you did; you'd be better off having a Gun Hill LTD serving Montefiore Hospital and Norwood, an Allerton Av LTD serving Bronx Science/Clinton/Lehman and Broadway, and then if Burke Av is in need of bus service maybe a local line from Dreiser Loop to Fordham Plaza via Co-op City Bl, Hammersley Av, Gun Hill Rd (5) station, Burke Av, White Plains Rd, Kazmiroff Blvd and Webster Av running every 20 mins as a trial.

This Bx14 wouldn’t go near Fieldston, so they wouldn’t care. @Jova42R Having any bus end at 232nd makes no sense. There is no where to layover, and any bus having to turn there would have a very hard time because of the narrow service roads along Henry Hudson Parkway. The best place to short turn buses is up by 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway because there is space to layover and enough room to turn without issues. Anytime a part of Henry Hudson Parkway is closed off, it creates major issues because the alternatives are mainly narrow side streets with the exception of parts of Independence Avenue. Some areas also have no sidewalks, so that’s another problem. Parts of the area are also very hilly, so looking at a map does not tell the entire story.

There are shuttle buses that start over by 232nd and Henry Hudson Parkway, but they are a lot smaller. They also start over by Independence, which is wider, but again, turning there isn’t a problem, because those shuttle buses are smaller.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I changed the Bx14 to run from 246th. During rush hours, buses would run to 242nd (with a stop there), then straight to Lehman College.

Is this routing better? 

Where is it?  In any case, I don’t see the point in having it end at 242nd when lots of people would need the bus north of that? Creating routes isn’t just about routing, but also understanding demographics. You have to see where people are going and need access to, not let’s draw a route and see if this works. lol Doesn’t work that way. In my neighborhood, anyone going west of 231st and Broadway need access to Montefiore Medical Center, and Lehman College or the Bronx School of Science. Those are just some examples, but a lot of people just take the bus down to the (1) train to get into Manhattan. Another segment of people need it for NewYork-Presbyterian’s hospitals or medical centers, and some use it to go shopping along Broadway.The rest use the express buses and Metro-North for work in Manhattan or pleasure. We have a lot of people that move to my area from the zUpper West Side and Upper East Side, that still need access to those areas. That is why we have an East Side and a West Side express bus because there is enough ridership to sustain both lines. We also have no East Side subway line nearby. The (4) line is a long bus ride away.

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I changed the Bx14 to run from 246th. During rush hours, buses would run to 242nd (with a stop there), then straight to Lehman College.

Is this routing better? 

That's marginally better, but you should add a stop at 239 St for transfers to the Bx7. Doing that gets you a runtime of 15mins from 246 to 230 St, another 5 mins to Target, 8 mins to Lehman College, 7 mins to Montefiore, and then 35 mins to Bartow and Edson and 10-12 minutes to Pelham Bay Park via Section 5. That brings your total rush hour runtime to about 80-90 minutes peak rush-hour runtime (maybe less if I'm wrong and things move faster than I expect). To make that work at a ten-minute headway would take about twenty buses (180 mins round trip + 20 mins layover/10 mins between buses).

Also, during rush would you just run buses from Lehman College via Sedgwick Av/Van Cortlandt Pk W/Broadway to 242 St (because if you do that you'll drop like 20 minutes of runtime, but also give up access to Kennedy HS and Target). That would actually be a pretty nice route on its own, and an Allerton Av LTD could serve Target and Kennedy HS, and terminate at 246 St (and just ditch like 8-10 mins of runtime by running along Riverdale Av instead of Henry Hudson/Kappock). That combo might be more efficient; see my map below for what I'm thinking of:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0Vg1HdMFL9bFU2HC_-cz8Xc05MNL00U&usp=sharing

Basically the Gun Hill LTD needs about 16 buses to run on a ten-minute headway; the Allerton Av one would need 14 (40 minute runtime from Paul Av to Pelham Bay Park plus 8 min to Target plus 5 min to Kennedy HS/231 St plus 7 more min to 246 St via Riverdale Av gives a total runtime of 60 mins each way, so 120 min round trip+20 mins layover/10 minute headway gives 14 buses required peak.

@Via Garibaldi 8 Do you think it would make more sense for upstairs Riverdale to have a one-seat ride to the East Bronx via Allerton or Gun Hill, and if you think both are necessary (or that Gun Hill is necessary), would bringing the Gun Hill limited up to 246 St via Manhattan College Parkway with stops at the college gate and 239 St (SB) be reasonable? (mostly because there isn't anywhere good to lay over in southwest Riverdale unless you either run a one-way loop via Independence, Palisade and Kappock and then lay over at Edsall and Johnson (which might work but might also piss a lot of people off), or make a loop via 236 St, Independence Av, 232 St and Henry Hudson Pkwy, take away about a third of the parking along Independence there, and lay over in front of Seton Park (which will likely piss off a lot of the people living in the Whitehall Club building).

Edited by engineerboy6561

3 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

That's marginally better, but you should add a stop at 239 St for transfers to the Bx7. Doing that gets you a runtime of 15mins from 246 to 230 St, another 5 mins to Target, 8 mins to Lehman College, 7 mins to Montefiore, and then 35 mins to Bartow and Edson and 10-12 minutes to Pelham Bay Park via Section 5. That brings your total rush hour runtime to about 80-90 minutes peak rush-hour runtime (maybe less if I'm wrong and things move faster than I expect). To make that work at a ten-minute headway would take about twenty buses (180 mins round trip + 20 mins layover/10 mins between buses).

Also, during rush would you just run buses from Lehman College via Sedgwick Av/Van Cortlandt Pk W/Broadway to 242 St (because if you do that you'll drop like 20 minutes of runtime, but also give up access to Kennedy HS and Target). That would actually be a pretty nice route on its own, and an Allerton Av LTD could serve Target and Kennedy HS, and terminate at 246 St (and just ditch like 8-10 mins of runtime by running along Riverdale Av instead of Henry Hudson/Kappock). That combo might be more efficient; see my map below for what I'm thinking of:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0Vg1HdMFL9bFU2HC_-cz8Xc05MNL00U&usp=sharing

Basically the Gun Hill LTD needs about 16 buses to run on a ten-minute headway; the Allerton Av one would need 14 (40 minute runtime from Paul Av to Pelham Bay Park plus 8 min to Target plus 5 min to Kennedy HS/231 St plus 7 more min to 246 St via Riverdale Av gives a total runtime of 60 mins each way, so 120 min round trip+20 mins layover/10 minute headway gives 14 buses required peak.

@Via Garibaldi 8 Do you think it would make more sense for upstairs Riverdale to have a one-seat ride to the East Bronx via Allerton or Gun Hill, and if you think both are necessary (or that Gun Hill is necessary), would bringing the Gun Hill limited up to 246 St via Manhattan College Parkway with stops at the college gate and 239 St (SB) be reasonable? (mostly because there isn't anywhere good to lay over in southwest Riverdale unless you either run a one-way loop via Independence, Palisade and Kappock and then lay over at Edsall and Johnson (which might work but might also piss a lot of people off), or make a loop via 236 St, Independence Av, 232 St and Henry Hudson Pkwy, take away about a third of the parking along Independence there, and lay over in front of Seton Park (which will likely piss off a lot of the people living in the Whitehall Club building).

If you have been here in upstairs Riverdale, you know that there are only a few ways out, all via hills. Running a bus along Palisade Av is not happening. First off, very little of Palisade Avenue has sidewalks. Second, you have very expensive real estate there and people like it quiet. They would raise hell for any sort of bus running along there, not to mention that parts of Palisade Avenue is narrow. The same is true of Edsall Avenue. Narrow... Now, Metro-North runs shuttle buses along parts of Palisade Avenue, but that is for only a few hours Monday - Friday, and those buses are small. Running the buses via Henry Hudson Parkway or via Riverdale Av are the most viable options because either the street is wide enough (Riverdale Av is wide and a commercial corridor in Central Riverdale), or in the case of Henry Hudson Parkway, while narrow (the service road), it’s really the only option. It cuts through the core of the neighborhood, and the large co-ops, condos and other buildings usually sit back far enough for any noise to not be so bad. I live steps from the Henry Hudson Parkway and can see the buses from my block, so I have first hand experience with all of this. People up here fight fiercely to preserve the quietness and quaintness of the area and green space, and that includes limiting pollution from traffic. We even had people at a Metro-North meeting complaining about the shuttle buses which are much smaller than (MTA) buses. They wanted Metro-North to provide quieter, smaller, more eco-friendly buses. It is tough to use buses up here because Riverdale unlike most of the Bronx was not created with a street grid, which means that streets start and suddenly stop at random places. It was not originally created with density in mind, hence the narrow, winding streets that we have when we had a smaller population and fewer apartment buildings. Much of Riverdale consisted of large estates, many of which still exists, so it definitely was not planned with buses in mind. lol

Regarding the route, I honestly do not see a need for service on either line. People in Riverdale do not travel that far east, at least not by bus with tons of regularity. The main spots are the schools and hospitals (Lehman College, Montefiore Medical Center, etc.). If you notice, the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 pretty much were left as is, and there’s a reason for that. You can’t do much to change the routes that travel East-West like Bx10. They meander, but that’s because of how the streets are laid out and the hilly topography. Can’t do much about it, and people would go crazy if they lost access to Montefiore. If people are going to places like Orchard Beach from Riverdale, it would likely be by car. Too far east by bus to be worthwhile. We have people here that usually will just drive to Westchester, which is a lot faster and easier than heading to say Co-Op City.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you have been here in upstairs Riverdale, you know that there are only a few ways out, all via hills. Running a bus along Palisade Av is not happening. First off, very little of Palisade Avenue has sidewalks. Second, you have very expensive real estate there and people like it quiet. They would raise hell for any sort of bus running along there, not to mention that parts of Palisade Avenue is narrow. The same is true of Edsall Avenue. Narrow... Now, Metro-North runs shuttle buses along parts of Palisade Avenue, but that is for only a few hours Monday - Friday, and those buses are small. Running the buses via Henry Hudson Parkway or via Riverdale Av are the most viable options because either the street is wide enough (Riverdale Av is wide and a commercial corridor in Central Riverdale), or in the case of Henry Hudson Parkway, while narrow (the service road), it’s really the only option. It cuts through the core of the neighborhood, and the large co-ops, condos and other buildings usually sit back far enough for any noise to not be so bad. I live steps from the Henry Hudson Parkway and can see the buses from my block, so I have first hand experience with all of this. People up here fight fiercely to preserve the quietness and quaintness of the area and green space, and that includes limiting pollution from traffic. We even had people at a Metro-North meeting complaining about the shuttle buses which are much smaller than (MTA) buses. They wanted Metro-North to provide quieter, smaller, more eco-friendly buses. It is tough to use buses up here because Riverdale unlike most of the Bronx was not created with a street grid, which means that streets start and suddenly stop at random places. It was not originally created with density in mind, hence the narrow, winding streets that we have when we had a smaller population and fewer apartment buildings. Much of Riverdale consisted of large estates, many of which still exists, so it definitely was not planned with buses in mind. lol

Regarding the route, I honestly do not see a need for service on either line. People in Riverdale do not travel that far east, at least not by bus with tons of regularity. The main spots are the schools and hospitals (Lehman College, Montefiore Medical Center, etc.). If you notice, the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 pretty much were left as is, and there’s a reason for that. You can’t do much to change the routes that travel East-West like Bx10. They meander, but that’s because of how the streets are laid out and the hilly topography. Can’t do much about it, and people would go crazy if they lost access to Montefiore. If people are going to places like Orchard Beach from Riverdale, it would likely be by car. Too far east by bus to be worthwhile. We have people here that usually will just drive to Westchester, which is a lot faster and easier than heading to say Co-Op City.

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's about what I figured; I grew up right off Van Cortlandt Park and used to get haircuts and bagels off Johnson Av. There's no good place to lay over, and as near as I can tell most of  upstairs Riverdale tends to go into Midtown or downtown for everything you can't get in the neighborhood on 231 St (except Bronx Science and Montefiore). 

@Jova42R That means that you're better cutting both the Gun Hill and Allerton Av buses short below the hill, because the connection at 242 St/Broadway improves connection options for people going up to Yonkers from the mid-Bronx, and that keeps runtime down (and hopefully reliability up). For the Allerton Av line I brought up I'd just turn it at 231 St to connect the mid-Bronx with Target and the Kennedy school complex.

38 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 That's about what I figured; I grew up right off Van Cortlandt Park and used to get haircuts and bagels off Johnson Av. There's no good place to lay over, and as near as I can tell most of  upstairs Riverdale tends to go into Midtown or downtown for everything you can't get in the neighborhood on 231 St (except Bronx Science and Montefiore). 

@Jova42R That means that you're better cutting both the Gun Hill and Allerton Av buses short below the hill, because the connection at 242 St/Broadway improves connection options for people going up to Yonkers from the mid-Bronx, and that keeps runtime down (and hopefully reliability up). For the Allerton Av line I brought up I'd just turn it at 231 St to connect the mid-Bronx with Target and the Kennedy school complex.

Right. 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway is one spot, or Independence and 239th Southbound is another spot, only because Independence at that point is wide, allowing for the layover of multiple buses, etc.

Additionally, I’m not sure who would be riding a bus that runs on Allerton or Gun Hill, even having it stop short of upstairs Riverdale. I just don’t see any demographic using it like that. Now with the Bx10, we have the home attendants and healthcare workers that take that bus from parts of the Bronx like Norwood. I am pretty sure that with the amount of senior homes here in Riverdale, a lot of the people working there likely live in the Northeast part of the Bronx, but with the street configurations, etc., they just drive. I see them often going to their car. They don’t live in Riverdale or anywhere nearby.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Right. 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway is one spot, or Independence and 239th Southbound is another spot, only because Independence at that point is wide, allowing for the layover of multiple buses, etc.

Additionally, I’m not sure who would be riding a bus that runs on Allerton or Gun Hill, even having it stop short of upstairs Riverdale. I just don’t see any demographic using it like that. Now with the Bx10, we have the home attendants and healthcare workers that take that bus from parts of the Bronx like Norwood. I am pretty sure that with the amount of senior homes here in Riverdale, a lot of the people working there likely live in the Northeast part of the Bronx, but with the street configurations, etc., they just drive. I see them often going to their car. They don’t live in Riverdale or anywhere nearby.

I figured that the 242 St connection would let you make a direct connection between the mid-Bronx and lower Yonkers (though the W4 already does that) and is a faster connection to the (1) from Montefiore than the Bx10 would be, and 231 St/Riverdale Avenue would be about providing access to Target and Kennedy HS for people in the mid-Bronx.

5 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

I figured that the 242 St connection would let you make a direct connection between the mid-Bronx and lower Yonkers (though the W4 already does that) and is a faster connection to the (1) from Montefiore than the Bx10 would be, and 231 St/Riverdale Avenue would be about providing access to Target and Kennedy HS for people in the mid-Bronx.

I have never heard the term “Mid-Bronx” used. Northwest Bronx, West Bronx, East Bronx, Northeast Bronx, and the South Bronx is usually what people say...

54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have never heard the term “Mid-Bronx” used. Northwest Bronx, West Bronx, East Bronx, Northeast Bronx, and the South Bronx is usually what people say...

Fair; it's not the best term; for the lines we're talking about you'd see a direct connection between the (1) and Gun Hill, Pelham Gardens, Allerton and southern Baychester, with Allerton, Pelham Gardens and Bedford Park getting a one-seat ride to Target and Kennedy, and Gun Hill, southern Baychester and northern Pelham Gardens getting a one-seat ride to 242 St.

Q144 SBS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYpDUurSWU7fRai1NDpJ6xO3ifm9X_8p&usp=sharing

JFK-Jamaica-LGA-Jackson Heights-Woodside-Midtown-Downtown.

NO STOPS between:

• Chambers St and Bethune St
  • 57 St and Woodside
  • Jackson Heights and LGA Terminal A
  • LGA Terminal A and Jamaica
  • Jamaica and JFK Terminal 4

LGA Depot - Uses the 12 buses assigned to the Q70 (replaces Q70), as well as some of the 2015 XD40s from LGA Depot assigned to the local routes (when the new XDE40s come in, those replace the XD40s that the Q144 uses.)

The signs are

to JFK:

• Q144 JFK AIRPORT
  • Q144 +SELECT BUS+
  • Q144 VIA 6 AV
  • Q144 VIA LGA AIRPORT

to Downtown:

• Q144 DOWNTOWN CHATHAM SQ
  • Q144 +SELECT BUS+
  • Q144 VIA LGA AIRPORT
  • Q144 VIA 7 AV

Thoughts @danig1220 @engineerboy6561 @NBTA @Via Garibaldi 8?

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

Q144 SBS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYpDUurSWU7fRai1NDpJ6xO3ifm9X_8p&usp=sharing

JFK-Jamaica-LGA-Jackson Heights-Woodside-Midtown-Downtown.

NO STOPS between:

• Chambers St and Bethune St
  • 57 St and Woodside
  • Jackson Heights and LGA Terminal A
  • LGA Terminal A and Jamaica
  • Jamaica and JFK Terminal 4

LGA Depot - Uses the 12 buses assigned to the Q70 (replaces Q70), as well as some of the 2015 XD40s from LGA Depot assigned to the local routes (when the new XDE40s come in, those replace the XD40s that the Q144 uses.)

The signs are

to JFK:

• Q144 JFK AIRPORT
  • Q144 +SELECT BUS+
  • Q144 VIA 6 AV
  • Q144 VIA LGA AIRPORT

to Downtown:

• Q144 DOWNTOWN CHATHAM SQ
  • Q144 +SELECT BUS+
  • Q144 VIA LGA AIRPORT
  • Q144 VIA 7 AV

Thoughts @danig1220 @engineerboy6561 @NBTA @Via Garibaldi 8?

An express from downtown to LGA could actually work reasonably well; Midtown and Downtown are areas with enough businessperson and tourist traffic for things to work. The run from LGA to JFK on the other hand is gonna carry air and eat up an asston of runtime; it's a 35-45 minute drive when there's no traffic, and with traffic it can hit up to 70 minutes each way. Your base route would likely be about 45-50 minutes to get from Pearl St to the QBB, then another 20 to 61 St and 20 more to the airport; that gives you about 75-95 minutes runtime. If you want to keep a 10-12 minute headway during the day that would take 20-21 buses (which is a fair number, but likely doable).

If you want to serve JFK from Downtown and Midtown you'd be better off restoring the QM15 to 7-day-a-week service and then rearranging the Queens section. Turn the QM15 off Woodhaven at 155 Av, loop through 101/102 St, return to Woodhaven at 157 Av, then run back up the three blocks to the Belt Parkway and take that to the airport. Alternately you could send the QM15 straight onto the Belt Parkway at Woodhaven Blvd, and have the BM5 serve Ozone Park along the loop I just outlined through eastern Ozone Park, and then take 157 Av to 84 St to 149 Av and then continue on its existing route.

29 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

An express from downtown to LGA could actually work reasonably well; Midtown and Downtown are areas with enough businessperson and tourist traffic for things to work. The run from LGA to JFK on the other hand is gonna carry air and eat up an asston of runtime; it's a 35-45 minute drive when there's no traffic, and with traffic it can hit up to 70 minutes each way. Your base route would likely be about 45-50 minutes to get from Pearl St to the QBB, then another 20 to 61 St and 20 more to the airport; that gives you about 75-95 minutes runtime. If you want to keep a 10-12 minute headway during the day that would take 20-21 buses (which is a fair number, but likely doable).

If you want to serve JFK from Downtown and Midtown you'd be better off restoring the QM15 to 7-day-a-week service and then rearranging the Queens section. Turn the QM15 off Woodhaven at 155 Av, loop through 101/102 St, return to Woodhaven at 157 Av, then run back up the three blocks to the Belt Parkway and take that to the airport. Alternately you could send the QM15 straight onto the Belt Parkway at Woodhaven Blvd, and have the BM5 serve Ozone Park along the loop I just outlined through eastern Ozone Park, and then take 157 Av to 84 St to 149 Av and then continue on its existing route.

Ok, advice taken. I’ll change the map. EDIT: Map changed

Also, this is an SBS route, not express. 20 buses could work, as that would be the 12 Q70 buses and 8 of the other LGA XD40s

No, I just thought that a JFK-LGA-Manhattan route could work. Evidently not.

Edited by Jova42R

29 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Ok, advice taken. I’ll change the map. EDIT: Map changed

Also, this is an SBS route, not express. 20 buses could work, as that would be the 12 Q70 buses and 8 of the other LGA XD40s

No, I just thought that a JFK-LGA-Manhattan route could work. Evidently not.

I mean, it's an interesting idea but the two airports are way too far apart for that to work. The modified QM15 could probably do midtown to JFK in 85-100 mins; it's not time-competitive with the (JFK) to the (E) or the (JFK) to the railroad, but it would be comfortable and less of a pain in the ass than trying to take the (A) or the (E) with luggage, especially if your hotel is on the east side of Manhattan. Since JFK and LGA are so far apart, you wind up adding 40-80 minutes to the 75-95 minute runtime that I brought up above because of traffic on the Van Wyck, which now means that you're looking at 120-180 minutes end-to-end (putting JFK two and a half hours from midtown and three from downtown); that's so much worse than existing options that nobody would use it.

Alternately you could combine the BM5 with the Manhattan/JFK bus, and have it run along the BM2 route between 57 St/3 Av and Av H/Glenwood Rd, then run it via Flatlands Av/Vandalia Av/Van Siclen Av/Cozine Av/Linden Bl to JFK.

I'd create a loop line in Flushing with extensive service, from Main Street & Roosevelt, along the Q17 route to 164th Street & Horace Harding, looping back the way it came to Main Street, and change the q17, 25, and 27 to a more limited route for all runs in the area (Stops at Terminal, Beech Ave, Holly Ave, Rose Ave and Horace Harding, before going to normal route).

An overwhelming amount of people get on these buses at Main/Roosevelt and get off before Horace Harding.  Making those existing 17/25/27 lines limited in that area would discourage their use for the short trip riders, and providing a loop for local service would improve run-times and limit congestion. A lot of people only take those routes two or three stops, slowing down the longer routes in the process.

I'd also create a Q66 limited service on Northern Blvd along the complete Flushing-LIC route, only stopping at major intersections.

Additionally, I'd create a Airport connector route, operating between LGA, Citi-Field LIRR, Union Tpke Station and JFK. Citi-Field and Union TPKE would be the only non-airport stops. 

Lastly i'd create an express bus service to JFK, from Penn Station, stopping at several stops in midtown, via the midtown tunnel, LIE, Woodhaven to JFK

2 hours ago, mzxeternal said:

I'd create a loop line in Flushing with extensive service, from Main Street & Roosevelt, along the Q17 route to 164th Street & Horace Harding, looping back the way it came to Main Street, and change the q17, 25, and 27 to a more limited route for all runs in the area (Stops at Terminal, Beech Ave, Holly Ave, Rose Ave and Horace Harding, before going to normal route).

An overwhelming amount of people get on these buses at Main/Roosevelt and get off before Horace Harding.  Making those existing 17/25/27 lines limited in that area would discourage their use for the short trip riders, and providing a loop for local service would improve run-times and limit congestion. A lot of people only take those routes two or three stops, slowing down the longer routes in the process.

True, but nothing you're conveying here would amount to any improving of runtimes & limiting of congestion... Matter fact, your solution is the antithesis to it....

You're talking about adding more buses (or as you put it, extensive service) along Kissena with this loop line (for short trip riders within Flushing), to have the Q17, Q25, and Q27 make less stops along Kissena.... Your solution ignores how many cumulative BPH that's already being operated along those 3 routes.... It also doesn't take into consideration how congested Kissena already is....

While your reasoning for all this sounds noble, adding more buses along Kissena (while doing nothing to the service levels of the Q17, Q25, and Q27) is not the answer here.... While the matter does revolve around poor allocation, it has less to do with local vs. LTD & more to do with total/overall BPH being supplied along Kissena....

For what you're trying to address, I would divert the Q27 off Holly (to have it run with the Q26 instead), split the Q17, nerf the Q25 at Flushing (from Jamaica), and combine the [HHE/164th - Downtown Flushing portion of the Q17] with the [Downtown Flushing - College Point portion of the Q25] and supply THAT route with extensive service.

Edited by B35 via Church

Bx20A - Inwood-207th Street (A) to Montefiore Hospital (D) 

Via Broadway, Kappock/HHP, 242rd Street, Van Cortlandt Park South, Mosholu Parkway, Bainbridge Avenue

Follows normal Bx20 route to 242nd Street/Riverdale Avenue. Turns to Broadway then to Van Cortlandt Park South, to Sedgwick Avenue, Then follows Bx10 to Norwood-205th Street (D)

@danig1220 @engineerboy6561 @WillF40PH @Mnrr6131 @B35 via Church:

Here is my revised Q144:

Q144 SBS -> Q125 SBS

$4 flat fare.

operates every 20 minutes using the Q70's XD40s. Replaces Q70.

map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CxD8_dh2-6DV8h4Hkr6fCRIk70MBa76O&usp=sharing

Thoughts?

Edited by Jova42R