Questions about the (Z)

YankeesPwnMets

I read on the (MTA) site that the (Z) only runs one direction, to Manhattan during the morning and to Jamaica during the evenings. I have 2 questions:

(1): Why don't the (Z) run both directions, because I could say first thing the (J) local REALLY PISSES ME OFF! (J) all stops is torture riding, so why doesn't the (MTA) use (J)(Z) skip stop both directions during the rush?

(2): The (Z) runs R42s, and when it turns back, the front and back rollsigns change to (J), but the side stays as a (Z). Shouldn't the (J) run all the R42s so it doesn't need to change signs?

I read on the (MTA) site that the (Z) only runs one direction, to Manhattan during the morning and to Jamaica during the evenings. I have 2 questions:

(1): Why don't the (Z) run both directions, because I could say first thing the (J) local REALLY PISSES ME OFF! (J) all stops is torture riding, so why doesn't the (MTA) use (J)(Z) skip stop both directions during the rush?

(2): The (Z) runs R42s, and when it turns back, the front and back rollsigns change to (J), but the side stays as a (Z). Shouldn't the (J) run all the R42s so it doesn't need to change signs?

1. The Jamaica Line has only 3 tracks, so the (J)(Z) cannot run skip-stop in both directions, plus they would keep getting delayed by (M) trains in front of them. The (M) uses the local track and the (J)(Z) use the middle track to go toward Manhattan during the AM rush and toward Queens in the PM rush.

2. There are not enough R42's for the (J) to run all R42's because most have been replaced by the R160 A-1's.

The (Z) runs rush hours only because the MTA feels that there is very little demand for service in the other direction (everybody is going to Manhattan, not Jamaica). The trains go back to the East New York Yard so some (Z) trains return as (J) trains, and then drop out at Broadway Junction.

As far as the (Z) using R42s, I would assume it is because they only want to run them rush hours to put less wear on the cars.

The (Z) runs rush hours only because the MTA feels that there is very little demand for service in the other direction (everybody is going to Manhattan, not Jamaica). The trains go back to the East New York Yard so some (Z) trains return as (J) trains, and then drop out at Broadway Junction.

As far as the (Z) using R42s, I would assume it is because they only want to run them rush hours to put less wear on the cars.

Sometimes, the R42's are used on the (J), even on some weekends.

For the Z train,

1. can it just use 6 R160A-1s in the rush and all R42s on the (J) and the (Z) all R160A-1s so it dont need to switch signs alot?

2. If its morning rush, can it run from Jamaica Center to 9 Av and then relay and go straight to Bway Junction. Bway Junction to 9 Av Station on the (D) line and relay and stop at 9 Av and 36 St and run local (R) stops to Court St and after Court St, it will follow its own (Z) route to jamaica Center in the PM hours.

For some reason before the A.M. rush a Jamaica Center bound NIS R160 comes into Broadway Junction on the express tracks and then gets programmed into a local (Z) for the passengers

Some Z trains start their runs at Broadway Junction.

The (Z) train does run both directions during the rush. During the PM rush (Z) trains start their run at Broadway Junction and make local stops to Broad Street. Jamaica bound (Z) trains does make express stops and have skip stop service as listed on the schedules.

Really?

ONE-WAY RUSH HOURS

Train operates in one direction

(to Manhattan 7-8:15 am,

From Manhattan 4:55 - 5:45 pm)

2. If its morning rush, can it run from Jamaica Center to 9 Av and then relay and go straight to Bway Junction. Bway Junction to 9 Av Station on the (D) line and relay and stop at 9 Av and 36 St and run local (R) stops to Court St and after Court St, it will follow its own (Z) route to jamaica Center in the PM hours.

Let's not go there. We've only talked the topic to death already about not sending Nassau Street trains down 4 Avenue. You can try to find those threads yourself.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Really?

Yes but they only run halfway mornings in the opposite peak direction and pm

Start at chauncey st broad st bound local and once it gets to jamaica it deadheads back to eny

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Really?

You think it deadheads from ENY Yard to Broad St and start there? Nope. Like they said, it actually starts from Bway Jct (or Chauncey St sometimes) and runs local to Broad St. Then it goes out as a regular (Z) to Jamaica then either goes back out as a (J) or deadheads to ENY yard

As for the morning, I'm not so sure but after leaving Broad St, it runs as a local all the way to Bway Jct

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

You think it deadheads from ENY Yard to Broad St and start there? Nope. Like they said, it actually starts from Bway Jct (or Chauncey St sometimes) and runs local to Broad St. Then it goes out as a regular (Z) to Jamaica then either goes back out as a (J) or deadheads to ENY yard

As for the morning, I'm not so sure but after leaving Broad St, it runs as a local all the way to Bway Jct

The (Z) is ONE-WAY by definition. Therefore, even if they run in service westbound during the PM rush, they are (J)s.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tjnxt.pdf (page 3)

4:16 from Broadway Junction is not labeled as a (Z). Neither are the next four B'way Jct. put-ins.

The (Z) is ONE-WAY by definition. Therefore, even if they run in service westbound during the PM rush, they are (J)s.

4:16 from Broadway Junction is not labeled as a (Z). Neither are the next four B'way Jct. put-ins.

Correction. When the (Z) put-ins starts they usually run local (especially if its an R42) then starts normal skip-stop service

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

On the website its called a (J) for pratical reasons but its actually a (Z)...go to Bway Junction or Chauncey St at that time and they'll come in as (Z)s

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Exactly. Saw a R42 (J) with side signs as (Z)s, asked the C/R about it and he said it's a (J) but the signs weren't changed at the terminals

That one was most likely gonna leave Broad St as a (Z)

1. The Jamaica Line has only 3 tracks, so the (J)(Z) cannot run skip-stop in both directions, plus they would keep getting delayed by (M) trains in front of them. The (M) uses the local track and the (J)(Z) use the middle track to go toward Manhattan during the AM rush and toward Queens in the PM rush.

This is not the reason. (Like Checkmatechamp said, it's just demand.) Skip-stop service doesn't use the third track, it just stays on the local track and bypasses the station. (The (1)(9) skip-stop ran both directions even though Broadway also only has 2-3 tracks north of 137 Street.)

Also, I doubt the (M) is an issue. There are always going to be switching delays at Marcy Avenue since, like the (2)(3)(4)(5) in Brooklyn, it's not a flying junction. But the line itself isn't at capacity, and if the demand were there, they could easily run a few (Z) trains in the off-peak direction even with the (J)(M)(Z) all running on the same track. (Keep in mind all three already do run on the same track between Essex and Myrtle.)

• 2 weeks later...

You are talking about west of Myrtle ave, thats express service. the question is about skip-stop service, east of myrtle ave. which the (J)/(Z) use the side local tracks east of myrtle ave but every other station is bypassed depending on the train.

Archived