BY CHRISTINA BOYLE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

March 26th 2008

[float=right]amd_subway_dirty.jpg

Smith for News

The Straphangers Campaign's 'subway shmutz'

survey found a big disparity between the

cleanest subway lines and the dirtiest.

[/float]The dirt has been dished on where to find the cleanest and grimiest subway trains in the city.

The (L) line has been ranked as the best place to have a dirt-free journey with 88% of cars rated "clean," according to a new report released by the Straphangers Campaign Tuesday.

The (E) and (Q) lines were named and shamed as the worst in the system, with just 29% of cars found with "no or only light interior dirt."

The Shmutz report looked at 2,200 subway cars on the 22 subway lines between September 20 and January 11.

Overall, 50% of subway cars were considered clean, an improvement of three percent on last year's figure.

"Shmutz is going to build up and that's something that transit managers have to deal with," said Gene Russianoff, Straphangers Campaign staff attorney.

"We think the transit officials can do better."

The (7) line showed the greatest improvement since the last survey in 2005 - jumping from 22% of cars rated clean to 78%.

It is now tied for second-place for overall cleanliness along with the 1 line.

The Straphangers Campaign say this improvement is a sign the new car cleaning pilot project introduced on the (L) and (7) in September is working.

The two lines now have 24-hour teams of cleaners stationed at the terminals at both ends of the track. Line managers were also introduced who are responsible for all day-to-day operations on the two lines.

Chicken bones, peanut and pistachio shells and chips were just some of the items found littering the subway cars, the Straphangers Campaign said.

"I think it's pretty deplorable," said Dennis Iodice, 28, who used to be a regular (Q) rider but now takes the (L).

"I definitely avoid the (Q) because it's really nasty."

All this stuff about the (Q) being dirty is just BS. The R68As are one of the cleanest cars in the feet. The (J) and (M) lines should have won the most dirtiest line because those R42s look much more dirty than the R68As.

But some of CI yard R68s are in bad shape in terms of cleanless but CI R68As are very clean...

All this stuff about the (Q) being dirty is just BS. The R68As are one of the cleanest cars in the feet. The (J) and (M) lines should have won the most dirtiest line because those R42s look much more dirty than the R68As.

But some of CI yard R68s are in bad shape in terms of cleanless but CI R68As are very clean...

The article is talking about the interiors of the train not the exterior. It looks like you're comparing the outsides of the two trains.

The article is talking about the interiors of the train not the exterior. It looks like you're comparing the outsides of the two trains.

Yes interiors of the R68As are clean i ride them every day the interiors are one the cleanest in the fleet...

To Straphangers Campaign: Take a strap and hang yourselves with it. How about the riding public can do much better, by throwing their garbage in the cans, bins, or baskets, not on the floor. The MTA should not have to hire more people to clean trains, cause the riding public wants to make the floors and seats, their trash cans. More workers = more money = fare increase. Don't want a fare increase, help the MTA by picking up after yourselves, so they don't need ti hire as many cleaners.

As RTOMan says, that's my 2 cents........

To Straphangers Campaign: Take a strap and hang yourselves with it. How about the riding public can do much better, by throwing their garbage in the cans, bins, or baskets, not on the floor. The MTA should not have to hire more people to clean trains, cause the riding public wants to make the floors and seats, their trash cans. More workers = more money = fare increase. Don't want a fare increase, help the MTA by picking up after yourselves, so they don't need ti hire as many cleaners.

As RTOMan says, that's my 2 cents........

I'm totally in with you. They can't rate trains for shit. Also, its not MTAs fault, its the passenger's fault. The fact that the (Q) serves one of Brooklyn's worst areas aren't any better either.

I'm totally in with you. They can't rate trains for shit. Also, its not MTAs fault, its the passenger's fault. The fact that the (Q) serves one of Brooklyn's worst areas aren't any better either.

The (Q) serves one of the 'worst' areas? Please elaborate...:confused:

Archived