Nassau County exec calls for Walder’s resignation

mark1447

imagepbq.jpg

Earlier this summer, word leaked out that the MTA may cut sever its Long Island Bus service. Owned by Nassau County, the bus routes just east of Queens are operated at a tremendous loss by the MTA, and the county pays just $9.1 million out of the agency’s $133 million operating costs. Now, as the MTA’s budget problems are coming to a head and the Long Island Bus remains in the crossfires, the Nassau County Executive has called for Jay Walder’s resignation.

Speaking earlier today of the problems plaguing the MTA, Edward Mangano issued a stunning call for the authority’s CEO and Chairman’s head. “New Yorkers are paying higher fares, businesses are paying a job-killing payroll tax and LI Bus faces extinction as a result of Walder’s threats,” Mangano said. “Taxpayers deserve accountability, and for that reason, I am calling on our gubernatorial candidates to pledge new leadership at the MTA in January.”

As Newsday’s subscriber-only article notes, Mangano’s posturing stems from the dispute over the bus company. The MTA wants the state and Nassau County to fork over $100 million to cover the LI Bus operations costs while Nassau County is a party to the lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the payroll tax. Apparently, it’s beyond Mangano’s ability to understand that the payroll tax was approved long before Jay Walder returned from England to run the MTA.

SOURCE and more (Via 2nd AveSega):

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/09/07/nassau-county-exec-calls-for-walders-resignation/

Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/mangano-calls-for-mta-chief-s-resignation-1.2268463

Maybe if this guy actually gave a shit about his bus system and paid for it, he wouldn't be in this mess and trying to throw the blame on others. I am not saying Walder has not done any harm (in some cases he has had no choice) but to just put the blame on his shoulders is just hypocritical.

Mangano has some balls not wanting to pay anything for LI Bus, but calling for Walder to just resign.

Someone in the comments page is dissing MTA employees - bus operators, train operators, conductors, and especially subway workers and ticket checkers.

I'm all for throwing Walder and Mangano on the N6 (which serves about 14,000 people a year, meaning SRO on most buses) during the afternoon rush hour and seeing what they do when they get off, if they could...

I'm all for throwing Walder and Mangano on the N6 (which serves about 14,000 people a year, meaning SRO on most buses) during the afternoon rush hour and seeing what they do when they get off, if they could...

N6 14K a year.. maybe 14K a day...

Least someone is calling for this guy's resignation.

If Andrew Cuomo wins this election, just like in a Presdential election, i am sure the next Governor whoever he is, will want to bring in his own people for statewide jobs. Thus I believe Mr. Walder will want to leave anyhow and a new (MTA) Boss comes in.:confused:

which reminds me i need to do my research on Cuomo and that other guy whose name i can't remember right now. Because I'm going to the polls in November if I can help it

There a GOP primary next Tuesday (9/14/10)and Former LI Congressmen Rick Lazio is the front runner and expected to win it. Lazio also back in the day in 2000, ran for the US Senate seat that Hillary Clinton won.

Cuomo is basically unopposed in his party's primary running against a couple of people you probably never heard of.

Archived