Producer: MTH-Mikes Train House

Road Name: Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York City Transit

Release Date: January 2010

Scale: O Gauge-MTH Railking Line

Route: (6)

North Terminal: Pelham Bay Park, Bronx

South Terminal: Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, Manhattan

Via: Lexington Avenue Local

How many of us can remember the days in early/mid 2001 when we heard a clear, precise Automated Subway announcement that went a little like this: "This is Bronx-Bound 6 Train, the next stop is Grand Central-42 St, Stand Clear of the closing doors please". After coming in contact with the new "Hi-Tech 6 Train", New Yorkers got a glimpse of the future of their Mass Transit System.

The purpose of the creation of the R142/R142A's was to replace the aging 'Redbird' fleet. After making its debut on the 6 Train in 2001, these new R142/R142A (NTT) New Tech Trains, began operations on other IRT Routes; 2 , 4 & 5 Trains. New York City Transit took on the last R142A Subway Cars by October 2003.

MTH replicated New York City Transits IRT fleet of R142A Hi-Tech Cars. The R142A has sound and signage for the (6) Train running between Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx to Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan.

The cars feature the same exterior qualities as a prototype R142A except for: No (MTA) Logos and the coupling chains between the cars.

The set is detailed with the End of car-across the door chains, crisp red stripe, The American Flag & interior seating. All the side exterior signs read 6 / Lexington Av Local

*This set and the R62 4 Train set are the only available subway sets that display the American Flag on the cars.

The set comes in 5 cars with 1 powered car and 4 non-powered trailer cars.

5 Car Set comes with the following car numbers: 7401, 7402, 7403, 7404, 7405. 7401 is the powered unit.

A 2-car add-on set is available as well, to make a full 7-Car R142A 6 Train.

2 Car Add-on Set comes with the following numbers: 7407, 7408

This set Pre-dates the June 28, 2010 Service cuts.

The station simulation is set up for a weekend run on the (6) Train. No (Mx)(V)(W)(Z) Train transfers at their respective

stops.

-Pelham Bay Park - Transfer here to the BX12 Select Bus Service

-Westchester Square-East Tremont Avenue

-Hunts Point Avenue

-125 St - Transfer is available to the M60 Bus to LaGuardia Airport or transfer is available to the (4) & (5) Trains, connection is available to Metro North

-68 St - Hunter College

-51 St - Transfer is available to the (E) Train

-14 St - Union Square - Transfer is available to the (4)(5)(L)(N)(Q) & (R) Trains

-Bleecker St - Transfer is available to the (D) & (F) Trains.

-Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall - This is the last stop on this train, or transfer is available to the (4)(5) & (J) Trains.

Along the way, the announcement will state: "This is a number (6), Lexington Av Train".

Pros: End of Car-Across the door chains, Crisp signage on the side LCD Sign, close coupling, the front Red 6 lights up nicely, and of course the sounds. The sound when this train accelerates replicates a real R142A. Thats one of my favorite features of this set.

Cons: (MTA) Logos would've been nice on them. Other then that, I cant really complain.

This set goes in my top 5 of my favorite sets.

4 out of 5 stars

*This set, and every MTH Set Since 2005 does not come equipped with (MTA) Decals. I purchased my Transit decals at: IslandModelWorks.com*

I bought the set for about $377.00 for the 5 Car Set and $125.00 for the 2-Car Set in January. I had back-ordered the set back in 2007 though, so I got the early price bid. Today, the 5-Car Set is hard to come buy. If you do find one, it will cost at least $449.99 & up. The 2 Car Add-on can be picked up today between $135.99 and $179.99. Price & Demand....

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Your Review by,

Brighton Local

Zach Summer

I think they could have done a better job with detail especially with the trucks frame. They look to small around the wheels. Also the 2 car set only comes with 2 blind ends and no A car, thats why I was forced to pay the $375 for the 5 car set, other than that they'll be in their original box till I get 100 million dollars for them one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
How many of us can remember the days in early/mid 2001 when we heard a clear, precise Automated Subway announcement that went a little like this: "This is Bronx-Bound 6 Train, the next stop is Grand Central-42 St, Stand Clear of the closing doors please".

Your remembrance brought back memories to me for a different reason. We recorded those announcements at Bloomberg (WBBR-AM) when the cars being readied for service. I was the audio recording engineer on them. I can't remember all of the announcers involved, but I do remember that Charlie Pellet did the "Please stand clear of the closing doors" annoucement; Diane Thompson and Jessica Ettinger were involved. If memory serves me correctly, Diane did the IRT east side annnoucements and Jessica did the IRT west side. I can't remember off the top of my head who did the Flushing line and Times Square Shuttle. (Charlie??)

We recorded them as WAV files and delivered them to the MTA on CDs. Somewhere in my audio collection I have copies of them.

After the audio was installed on the cars, the MTA had all of us who were involved go up to the East 180th Shops to hear them before the cars went into service. That was a treat as it was the first time I had ever visited any of the city's subway yards. Ah, memories....

Your remembrance brought back memories to me for a different reason. We recorded those announcements at Bloomberg (WBBR-AM) when the cars being readied for service. I was the audio recording engineer on them. I can't remember all of the announcers involved, but I do remember that Charlie Pellet did the "Please stand clear of the closing doors" annoucement; Diane Thompson and Jessica Ettinger were involved. If memory serves me correctly, Diane did the IRT east side annnoucements and Jessica did the IRT west side. I can't remember off the top of my head who did the Flushing line and Times Square Shuttle. (Charlie??)

We recorded them as WAV files and delivered them to the MTA on CDs. Somewhere in my audio collection I have copies of them.

After the audio was installed on the cars, the MTA had all of us who were involved go up to the East 180th Shops to hear them before the cars went into service. That was a treat as it was the first time I had ever visited any of the city's subway yards. Ah, memories....

Thank you for sharing that great information :tup: Thats very interesting on how those were created. I'm sure working on details like that for the MTA must be fun.

• 2 years later...

Guys, this set is MTHs hottest set out there ( if you can find it ) Very hard to come by! If you get your hands on it, hang on to it, and take care of it. I wish I back-ordered a few of these sets in 2007, rather than 1 5 car set, with a 2 car add-on.. Its great set!!

Im still LOLing at that sign on the table "Zach's trains are not to be touched without Zach present!!!". Seems like you really keep good care of them. 

I have to say, the R142A model is the most realistic looking model out of those MTH trains, they did a good job on it. 

Im still LOLing at that sign on the table "Zach's trains are not to be touched without Zach present!!!". Seems like you really keep good care of them. 

I have to say, the R142A model is the most realistic looking model out of those MTH trains, they did a good job on it. 

:D I made that sign when I worked at ShopRite on Staten Island like 11 years ago. I take veryy good care of them. They're worth a lot of money. The 142A set is awesome. Im hoping they make another set signed up as the (2)(4) or (5)

• 7 years later...