The Truth about working for the DSNY

Andrew

Having spoken to several DSNY employees in recent days,here the truths about their job.

1.The TOP pay is similar to ours without the overtime and overtime is not built in unless there is a big snowstorm.

2.The probation period is 18 months compared to 12 months for us.

3.The work is EXTREMLY physcally taxing especially in the heat.I be at least 50% of us could not physically do that job.Several TONS a day are lifted day after day.Add in having to deal with dangerous chemicals and large bugs crawling on you,it does not make for a pleasant working experience.

4.While they do get unlimited sick days,they have to deal what we do with doctors lines,house calls and visits.They are also restricted for a time when they come back.

I have never worked for the DSNY.This is MY conclusion based on what I heard from several employees.Others may hear different.I am just giving my synopsis on what I heard from these guys.

Having spoken to several DSNY employees in recent days,here the truths about their job.

1.The TOP pay is similar to ours without the overtime and overtime is not built in unless there is a big snowstorm.

2.The probation period is 18 months compared to 12 months for us.

3.The work is EXTREMLY physcally taxing especially in the heat.I be at least 50% of us could not physically do that job.Several TONS a day are lifted day after day.Add in having to deal with dangerous chemicals and large bugs crawling on you,it does not make for a pleasant working experience.

4.While they do get unlimited sick days,they have to deal what we do with doctors lines,house calls and visits.They are also restricted for a time when they come back.

I have never worked for the DSNY.This is MY conclusion based on what I heard from several employees.Others may hear different.I am just giving my synopsis on what I heard from these guys.

Sounds like a walk in the park, and if you want to toss bags your whole life then thats what you'll be doing. If you have some other types of experience's in your life you can move up to roll-off, tow truck, mechanic ect. ect. I ask sani guys how they like the job and its all smiles, and go buy a sani employee parking lot, its all nice cars in there.

Sounds like a walk in the park, and if you want to toss bags your whole life then thats what you'll be doing. If you have some other types of experience's in your life you can move up to roll-off, tow truck, mechanic ect. ect. I ask sani guys how they like the job and its all smiles, and go buy a sani employee parking lot, its all nice cars in there.

There's a reason why DSNY has a 20 and out pension:It's hard on your body and health. Personally I wouldn't want that job...but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good job for any of you. You can make a very good living being a sanitman.

A MTA parking lot would have nice cars too, if only the people there respected their co-workers property.All the junk cars you see in there are just a to b, the real deal is sitting in their home's garage.

There's a reason why DSNY has a 20 and out pension:It's hard on your body and health. Personally I wouldn't want that job...but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good job for any of you. You can make a very good living being a sanitman.

Many years ago I had a c/r who went to sanitation. He tried to come back to NYCT but had a bad sick record and they refused him. He told me he wanted to come back because his entire body was sore. He said he had sore muscles where he didn't think the body even had a muscle!

I've had a 2 hernia's within 4 years. With the amount of heavy lifting they do, I'm sure that's a very common thing.

Everybody elses grass looks greener than your own.

9% is a lot, but I think it's worth it for a 20 and out pension.

I don't know. If a sanit guy makes $30 an hour, and with OT you work 100 hours, that's a $270 pension payment every other week. When you factor in future raises and inflation, that would be around $200,000 in payments after 20 years. That's a lot of money.

A MTA parking lot would have nice cars too, if only the people there respected their co-workers property.All the junk cars you see in there are just a to b, the real deal is sitting in their home's garage.

There's some nice cars in the MTA lots too. I have a Lexus which I try to keep in excellent shape and I've never had any weird dings or other stuff. Then again, my commute isn't far (only 16 miles).

Where I work (207 St), so many people commute from the Poconos, so they have cruddy cars. If I was coming from the boonies, I wouldn't wanna punish my Lexus by doing that brutal drive up the mountains every day: I'd drive a Chevy instead; I made that drive up the I-80 to rescue a friend last Wednesday. I can see why Pocono people say that they have to buy another car every two years.

Many years ago I had a c/r who went to sanitation. He tried to come back to NYCT but had a bad sick record and they refused him. He told me he wanted to come back because his entire body was sore. He said he had sore muscles where he didn't think the body even had a muscle!

That's the C/R who used to work at Met, right?

I don't know. If a sanit guy makes $30 an hour, and with OT you work 100 hours, that's a $270 pension payment every other week. When you factor in future raises and inflation, that would be around $200,000 in payments after 20 years. That's a lot of money.

There's some nice cars in the MTA lots too. I have a Lexus which I try to keep in excellent shape and I've never had any weird dings or other stuff. Then again, my commute isn't far (only 16 miles).

Where I work (207 St), so many people commute from the Poconos, so they have cruddy cars. If I was coming from the boonies, I wouldn't wanna punish my Lexus by doing that brutal drive up the mountains every day: I'd drive a Chevy instead; I made that drive up the I-80 to rescue a friend last Wednesday. I can see why Pocono people say that they have to buy another car every two years.

That's the C/R who used to work at Met, right?

This was like 25 years ago so I'm sure we're not talking about the same c/r.

Yet, the DSNY eligibles list is also one of the longest ones if not the longest out of all the NYC civil service exams.

The current list from exam 6063 is 29,276, that is about the same as the last T/O and C/R combined.

Several Sanmen go LODI every day with cuts, slips and falls, sprains, etc. People throw anything and everything into their garbage. You have to shake it before you take it.

• 2 weeks later...
mayor Bloomberg is about to announce a hiring freeze on city agencies, including DSNY, despite the fact that they're already 300 people short. its gonna be a loooong icy winter :(

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=7679513

Wow who will remove all of the snow and ice that will pile up and form a JEWBerg thanks BloomBERG

MTA is considered a state job, although some are in the NYCERS pension system. For example if you transfer from the MTA to a city job like DSNY or NYPD your time counts on the back end and vice versa.

The NY State governor appoints the CEO of the MTA. Since there will be a new governor elected in the fall...

Jay(bald eagle)Walder will be history.

You guys are saying that because he is your "boss", why don't the both of you really tell us how you both feel about him being reappointed.

They're saying that because it's extremely unlikely Walder gets dismissed since WE THE TAXPAYERS would have to pay that jackass his golden parachute of a half a million dollars, and no politician wants that on his record.

Also he's a convenient scapegoat in the event of service cuts or fare hikes so that the politicians don't have to accept responsibility for the continuation of underfunding of mass transit by the state and city. The MTA has always been a political football, and 2011 will be no different.

The reality is I feel comfortable saying that no one who works for transit (at least in operating departments) likes him nor wants him to stay. Between friends and other employees I know, literally every one does not like him. So I am comfortable painting everyone with the broad brush in saying that I don't think anyone still wants him here.

But odds are that's right where he will be...

The reality is I feel comfortable saying that no one who works for transit (at least in operating departments) likes him nor wants him to stay. Between friends and other employees I know, literally every one does not like him. So I am comfortable painting everyone with the broad brush in saying that I don't think anyone still wants him here.

But odds are that's right where he will be...

Yes, the real people know better ... unfortunately elsewhere there are employees who respect and sympathize with the chairman even as pink slips are handed out around them. Really unbelievable.

Archived