Trolley line tentatively allegedly planned for Brooklyn.

Santa Fe via Willow

Trivia tidbit: The former Bkln, & now LA:(, Dodgers name came from trolleys. IIRC my facts, Trolley Dodgers was a term used way back when in Bkln for trolley riders. The name taken by the baseball team, eventually truncated to just Dodgers;)

And now in LA they dodge bullets, so there was no need to change the name.

See, the problem is, Toronto and Philly are small cities (comparatively) to New York. New York is FAR denser than either, especially in Downtown Brooklyn. There simply wouldn't be room for them to movie.

Personally, I'd prefer trollybuses (the buses with the overhead electricity) than straight-up trollies, but trollies do work under the correct circumstances. New York, however, doesn't have that. As a temporary solution, light rail or trollybuses would work, but it needs to have a full-fledged subway line to have a legitimate chance at major development, like in that new IKEA area.

A trolley bus is a moot point in this city. There's no cost benefit to putting up catenery wires and having a specialized fleet of buses that carry the same amount of people on their diesel counterparts. As for the density issue, yes New York has more drivers, but it is not to the point where traffic patterns can't be altered to allow for trolley traffic (we do it for bikes to boot). And the point of building up mass transit is to get people out of their cars.

At present, the only improvement to surface transportation that the (MTA) is seriously interested in is Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) under the brand of Select Bus Service. This is what is now on the (Bx12) and soon to begin on 1st and 2nd Aves and what they would then like to expand into Brooklyn beginning with Nostand Ave.

I've often heard the argument that if a trolley or LRV can't have its own median, then it can't work in NYC. However, since BRT includes a lane specified strictly for use by buses, I wonder if these lanes could instead be used as dedicated routes for streetcars. This would allow for some separation from other traffic without a completely separate median.

If Second Avenue Subway ever gets completed I believe that the (T) along with the (J) should be extended into a new tunnel to serve Red Hook and the (T) should be extended along the former 3rd Avenue in the Bronx to Co Op City along with the (D). That way the community of Red Hook is better served and gains a subway line.

How did I know the (T) would find its way into this thread...

I wonder, would the old cars sitting away collecting rust be used or would brand new cars be used? Such a shame the moment Bob Diamond says he's going to leave, the city then announces this. It's like a friggin conspiracy against that guy.

I don't have the link but he's staying in the city after all. The tours of the Atlantic tunnel will continue (at least for now).

He means well but he doesn't have the tact to get anything done.

What exactly is the advantage of trolleys over buses and light rail that makes it better asides from cost over building a subway and environmental friendliness? They're all just surface transportation to me, but is one option more capable than another?

Tracked vehicles do not need to steer, their path is predictable, and in the event of a problem (aside from derailment) their scope of movement is limited to the trackway. They can often, especially when equipped with rail brakes, stop faster than a bus. Rail stuff can operate in all weather, full to capacity, without needing to slow down, and if run with straight electricity, no need to fuel. Also, no tires to change & keep inflated, can be roomier than bus, with HVAC that actually heats & cools the vehicle properly due to weight not being an issue and power coming from a larger transformer and vents being able to handle more airflow.

Streetcars/trollies and articulated light rail vehicles may need a more expensive initial cost, but studies have shown that these rail vehicles tend to be more reliable, and because of their fixed nature, the predictability factor comes into play with attracting new riders and connecting other services.

- A

But any obstruction, and they become useless. At least with buses they can always drive around the obstruction.

Use this concept maybe?

hi-rail-big-1.jpg

A free Internet picture that shows a moron that drove into a tram. B)

Tram_accident.jpg

What? I was gonna be late for work! The tram is faster!! :P

Since there aren't many maps of Red Hook only this one was good enough. So I edited it enjoy and criticize the Red Hook Light Rail map.

RedHookLightRail-1.jpg?t=1284255104

In my map you could transfer to the Light Rail at Pacific St, Union Street and 4th Av-9th Street. It also runs to the new Ikea which links to the New York City Watertaxi. A new bridge requiring the demolishing of several abandon ship docks would connect the Light Rail to Governors Island.

What the hell's so important about IKEA that it has to be labeled? And trolley lines would work in the lowest density parts of NY

What the hell's so important about IKEA that it has to be labeled? And trolley lines would work in the lowest density parts of NY

Probably because it's considered to be a really big thing for the new Red Hook and probably a big destination for this trolley line if it ever saw daylight.

On another note,there either is or was a discount for the Watertaxi if you show an IKEA receipt. Also, the bus stop was called "IKEA Terminal" and even though it is no longer a terminal, they still use that name on electronic bus displays as "via IKEA terminal".

Trolley lines wouldn't work in the lowest density parts of NYC. Trolley lines require a lot of capital cost, and, since those lines in low-density neighborhoods don't get a lot of ridership, that capital cost would be wasted.

Trolley lines work best in neighborhoods of medium density-high enough that a trolley is more cost-effiicient than a bus, but not so high that there need to be trolleys running continuously (that type of neighborhood would be a candidate for an even higher capacity heavy rail or subway line). Some examples of those neighborhoods are where SBS is planned (though some of them would be better of with a full subway line).

Trolley lines wouldn't work in the lowest density parts of NYC. Trolley lines require a lot of capital cost, and, since those lines in low-density neighborhoods don't get a lot of ridership, that capital cost would be wasted.

Trolley lines work best in neighborhoods of medium density-high enough that a trolley is more cost-effiicient than a bus, but not so high that there need to be trolleys running continuously (that type of neighborhood would be a candidate for an even higher capacity heavy rail or subway line). Some examples of those neighborhoods are where SBS is planned (though some of them would be better of with a full subway line).

Well I don't mean that the trolley run only in that neighborhood. It should start in a low and end in a high density area so everyone is covered.

But a low-density neighborhood would probably be better served by a bus line that feeds into the trolley line. The point of the trolley, I would assume, would be for more capacity. Once it gets to the point where the capacity is no longer needed, the neighborhood should be covered by bus service instead of trolley service, unless your idea is to encourage development in a neighborhood.

But a low-density neighborhood would probably be better served by a bus line that feeds into the trolley line. The point of the trolley, I would assume, would be for more capacity. Once it gets to the point where the capacity is no longer needed, the neighborhood should be covered by bus service instead of trolley service, unless your idea is to encourage development in a neighborhood.

but see, the only problem with high density neighborhoods having a trolley line is the traffic jams and the super delays it would cause on the trolley line.

Archived