The Vice President's in town...

7LineFan

WTF???? I just noticed they added Winglets to that plane! Now it's a 757-200W/-200ER. Definitely a nice catch!!:tup:

I'm looking at Airliners.net and it looks like it's had winglets for at least a year and a half already. But just adding winglets wouldn't change the model, would it?

I'm looking at Airliners.net and it looks like it's had winglets for at least a year and a half already. But just adding winglets wouldn't change the model, would it?

Kind of. The designation is usually 757-200W, but some people say ER because the range is extended, as the plane is now more efficient.

The smaller the aircraft, the more thrust the engines put out, the longer the range, at least as far as boeing commercial airlines go. The main difference in some of their models is the center tank(s) and the fuselage length. Wingtip fences or winglets can be added post-production by the customer.

- A

The smaller the aircraft, the more thrust the engines put out, the longer the range, at least as far as boeing commercial airlines go. The main difference in some of their models is the center tank(s) and the fuselage length. Wingtip fences or winglets can be added post-production by the customer.

- A

Winglets and fences come standard on all Airbus and Boeing(737 & 787-3) aircraft now. Lots of the operators of older 737's and 757's are adding them. They are now certified for the 767 as well. I always thought they should have done that years ago. Airbus has also decided to offer winglets instead of their trademark fence on the new A320 series.

Winglets and fences come standard on all Airbus and Boeing(737 & 787-3) aircraft now. Lots of the operators of older 737's and 757's are adding them. They are now certified for the 767 as well. I always thought they should have done that years ago. Airbus has also decided to offer winglets instead of their trademark fence on the new A320 series.

I think the reason why there is not wider adoption of these earlier on, is that the winglets are more complicated to put on than the wingtip fences and take more man hours to outfit a carrier's whole fleet. However, i'm at newark airport all the time seeing my lady off to work, and the only ones on the tarmac without anything tend to be the ups/fedex/dhl/kalita and a few of the smaller regional jets, and of course there are none on the prop planes. The foreign carriers have a mix, the 747's usually have the fences, some have nothing or a "stub" winglet.

- A

I think the reason why there is not wider adoption of these earlier on, is that the winglets are more complicated to put on than the wingtip fences and take more man hours to outfit a carrier's whole fleet. However, i'm at newark airport all the time seeing my lady off to work, and the only ones on the tarmac without anything tend to be the ups/fedex/dhl/kalita and a few of the smaller regional jets, and of course there are none on the prop planes. The foreign carriers have a mix, the 747's usually have the fences, some have nothing or a "stub" winglet.

- A

Eh? I've never seen 747s with fences... I thought only Airbus uses fences so it wouldn't make sense for a 747 to have them.

Archived