Megabus double deck coach slams into low rail bridge, 4 killed.

metsfan

Seriously dude, did I ever do anything to YOU[? You're still upset over the Urbanfortitude beef that was two months ago. Even he moved on. Grow the hell up.

Think before you post, every time you post something out of the ordinary or questionable, people will rebuttle and question it. And saying "incorrect", "nope", "wrong" or "vomit" won't help your argument, It'll make you look foolish.

Then again, why waste my keystrokes since you always say you're not going to do something such as take part in a certain thread (e.g. (E) via Local, (F) via 53rd Street (<-- which will never happen IMO)) after you get a hissy fit when people don't agree with you, yet you go on your tirade days later?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESS. EMM. EFF. H!

Reading this thread was educational and I am having second thoughts about riding Megabus (which I have never done yet before), but the beef between members??? That's a PAIN IN THE GROIN! All this childishness needs to leave this forum and be held in some zoo where it belongs! :mad:

And if I get pissed off by another member, it's never pretty. I tend to rant and sometimes go insane! Even though I am not fully involved in this cyberwar on this forum, I simply hate to see the reputation of the ENTIRE SITE get ruined because of it!

agreed ive been on other transit forums and never and i mean never! have i seen members fight about this bull shoot this is a transit forum! where everyone can come together and discuss and heck if you trust the person enough you even meet them have lunch and enjoy fanning together, common guys lets just drop all of this, please.

and i was considering MEGABUS from Montreal to Toronto but im not sure either does MegaBus Canada have a bad safety record?

Think before you post, every time you post something out of the ordinary or questionable, people will rebuttle and question it. And saying "incorrect", "nope", "wrong" or "vomit" won't help your argument, It'll make you look foolish.

Then again, why waste my keystrokes since you always say you're not going to do something such as take part in a certain thread (e.g. (E) via Local, (F) via 53rd Street (<-- which will never happen IMO)) after you get a hissy fit when people don't agree with you, yet you go on your tirade days later?

I'm not here to make enemies. Do I occasionally insert my foot in my mouth? Yes. That's my personality. Even in my lawyering seminar class this morning I said something I wish I could take back. However, it's not like I come here looking to troll. Some haters like to take words I say out of context. People know damn well that I'm not a racist who hates Hispanic people. I was merely making a reference to the difference between my experiences on Megabus and Greyhound. As for the one word responses, it was a sarcastic spoof of Brian Weinberg but I guess that joke has worn out it's welcome. I'll cease with the one word responses.

I'm not here to make enemies. Do I occasionally insert my foot in my mouth? Yes. That's my personality. Even in my lawyering seminar class this morning I said something I wish I could take back. However, it's not like I come here looking to troll. Some haters like to take words I say out of context. People know damn well that I'm not a racist who hates Hispanic people. I was merely making a reference to the difference between my experiences on Megabus and Greyhound. As for the one word responses, it was a sarcastic spoof of Brian Weinberg but I guess that joke has worn out it's welcome. I'll cease with the one word responses.

I honestly think you could have described MegaBus users and Greyhound users better than that. A person could easily misconstrue your statement like "if I use Greyhound, I guess I'm ghetto, especially when I pay more for my service than for basic MegaBus'service". So no one who "hates" you will intentionally try to come off snide, it's just the way they'd initially think if they find the post absurd. And unfortunately, a lot of us here found your analysis of Greyhound absurd.

I cannot vouch for Greyhound as I haven't used their service since I was eight when I went to Texas for a week to visit distant relatives but if I'd have to give my input of Greyhound, I'd say their service was fine.

Looking at the reviews of MegaBus, it's clear-cut that the negatives outweigh the positives of the oragnization. And if the negative feedback continues to rise then MegaBus is best to go out of business. BUT, I will set aside time to ride MegaBus so I can give my input of the service.

I'll just leave it at that.

greyhound Canada is a reliable service with the exception of its sub company VCL ( Voyageur Coach Lines ) their Montreal Ottawa run is always backed up, never have enough buses and the employees are very rude, but riding GCL themselves i would give them 8/10

VCL = 4.5/10 at most

VoyageurPrevostArticulated.jpg

800px-Greyhound_Canada_7704_Voyageur.JPG

but i cant wait to ride this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Kingston_Bus_Terminal.JPG/800px-Kingston_Bus_Terminal.JPG

MegaBus will probably be in deep trouble now; or at least the DOT will force them to take off the double-deckers. They really need an overview...anyway, are there any special benefits, or why else do Megabus drivers come to/stay at MegaBus and not, for example, Bolt?

@ BZGuy: Agreed, thanks for the info.:tup:

@ Forest Glen and others: Can you please stop making the reputation of this site even lower than it already is?

Seriously dude, did I ever do anything to YOU? You're still upset over the Urbanfortitude beef that was two months ago. Even he moved on. Grow the hell up.

Thanks for going off topic Mr. Know-It-All, Why would I be upset with the drama between the two of you? It didnt have anything to with me so it didnt even bother me one bit. The only reason I went off on you is because of that asinine statement regarding illegal immigrants which is really freaking retarded. I take offense to those statements.

Like LRG said, think before you post.

agreed ive been on other transit forums and never and i mean never! have i seen members fight about this bull shoot this is a transit forum! where everyone can come together and discuss and heck if you trust the person enough you even meet them have lunch and enjoy fanning together, common guys lets just drop all of this, please.

and i was considering MEGABUS from Montreal to Toronto but im not sure either does MegaBus Canada have a bad safety record?

I think you are a bit naieve if you think everyone will 'get along' here. If there are people that are firm/stubborn in their beliefs and it contrasts with another person and both refuses to meet at a middle point, then you are always going to have verbal disagreements. It's a fact of life. Plus you've probably never seen a real flame war. Check out subchat's O/T chat. Now that's war.

*Would give BZguy [for the techncial points] and Shane [about how wrong it is to automatically assume things about people] a :thanks: if button was showing.

I think you are a bit naieve if you think everyone will 'get along' here. If there are people that are firm/stubborn in their beliefs and it contrasts with another person and both refuses to meet at a middle point, then you are always going to have verbal disagreements. It's a fact of life. Plus you've probably never seen a real flame war. Check out subchat's O/T chat. Now that's war.

Would give BZguy and Shane a :thanks: if button was showing.

Concourse what got FG in hot water was not the fact he was sticking up for Megabus which is his right to speak in this country? It's the illegal aliens comment that nearly caused a huge flame war here.

FG has said he was sorry so let's move on.

Um, what are you the forum police? I'm merely putting in my 2 cents here and replying to TransitStop about the 'negativity'.

And as far as what some people likes, that's their deal. But to blindly support one thing and trash others without much basis is what also puts a target on them. If people were flexible about their beliefs then fine, but if they remain stubborn about it, then that's where the problems begins. I'm just stating an observation as an outsider.

Um, what are you the forum police? I'm merely putting in my 2 cents here and replying to TransitStop about the 'negativity'.

And as far as what some people likes, that's their deal. But to blindly support one thing and trash others without much basis is what also puts a target on them. If people were flexible about their beliefs then fine, but if they remain stubborn about it, then that's where the problems begins. I'm just stating an observation as an outsider.

Excellent post.

Thanks for going off topic Mr. Know-It-All, Why would I be upset with the drama between the two of you? It didnt have anything to with me so it didnt even bother me one bit. The only reason I went off on you is because of that asinine statement regarding illegal immigrants which is really freaking retarded. I take offense to those statements.

Like LRG said, think before you post.

Jesus f*cking Christ, are you really going to criticize my posts verbatim? It was a joke, albeit an insensitive one. Can we please get back to the topic?

Back on topic...I live in Syracuse. I work at one of the local TV stations here.

Here's what we know.

It appears the driver just missed the exit for the Syracuse Bus Station (Regional Transportation Center), and followed the Interstate 81 exit (its one of those 3 exit in one exits) for Onondaga Lake Parkway.

The bus (about 13 1/2 feet high) proceeded Northbound on Onondaga Lake Parkway toward an ancient train bridge with a clearance of 10-9.

The bus smashed into that bridge, killing four passengers. 27 passengers were on the bus.

Original.jpg

The bus departed Philadelphia on Friday at 10:00 p.m. The destination was Toronto, with stops scheduled in Syracuse and Buffalo. The accident happened around 2:30am.

John Tomaszewski, the driver of the Megabus that crashed as been released from the hospital. He suffered head injuries in the accident. The Onondaga County Sheriff did not comment on what sort of information he has provided to the investigation.

Tomaszewski has been employed with Megabus since December 2009 and Philadelphia-Toronto is his regular route.

TROUBLED ROAD:

As many locals in Syracuse will tell you, the bridge that the bus driver smashed into is no stranger to truck accidents.

Saturday's accident is the most recent of eight accidents involving the bridge over the last five years. Many times, tractor-trailers accidentally get onto the highway, miss the 10+ warning signs, and their trailer gets ripped apart under the bridge.

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

In my opinion, one of the questions that has to be raised is, has the NYSDOT done enough to provide ample warning that the road is a parkway, and not suitable for buses.

Most warning signs say "CLEARANCE 10-9" and NO TRACTOR-TRAILERS.

Here's a look at the approach:

The driver should have taken the PARK STREET ramp. He missed it. It was the middle of the night, and he's likely now lost, off-route.

2.jpg

The warning signs before the entrance ramp to Onondaga Lake Parkway

5.jpg

The last ramp for the bus to get off and take another road, before the parkway. The bridge is about 1 mile away at this point.

8.jpg

A look at the bridge that the bus driver smashed into. The bridge is at such an angle, that the driver may have not seen it until he was a few hundred feet away, that is IF he ignored all the warnings signs.

P1000749.JPG

Here's a link to the coverage we've done on this accident so far.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Firefighters-sort-through-deadly-Megabus-crash/LiNwgSPQkkyL0gzAwfLlJg.cspx

Right now, no criminal charges have been filed against the driver of the bus. After all the evidence is collected, the DA will look at the case.

Looking at those pictures is making physically sick.

Honestly, this type of accident has been my biggest fear since I started driving motorcoach. Quite frankly I have been waiting for this to happen since the double deckers showed up on the scene, I never thought there would be fatalities.

And to clarify my earlier posts, I don't really want to see Megabus outta business, those drivers work just as hard as anyone....I just want to see their safety performance improved. All these incidents/accidents make the industry look bad.

And FG, I have nothing against you...some of your posts are spot on. I can be adult and say "Lets agree to disagree"

Archived