Phoenixx, AZ.....

• 1 month later...

I'm usually making my excursion in the morning of the last Friday of the month. Can extend the outing to accomodate you if necessary. The buses aren't too exciting but they serve the purpose. Looking forward to meeting one of these days before you graduate and leave the area!

Epic!!! :eek::tup::eek:

I heard there are plans for extension?

- A

The Mesa extension is definite. Being determined is if the extension will be to Mesa Transit Center (Mesa Drive and East Main Street (400 East) or Gilbert Transit Center (Gilbert Road and East Main Street (2000 East).

I'm not sure what will happen with the current Sycamore Transit Center. It could be closed and "straightened" into something like this, maybe: Dobson Road (2000 West) Transfer #96, Alma School Road (1200 West) Transfer #104, Country Club Drive (400 West) Transfer #112, Mesa Town Center (Center/Main Streets (0), Mesa Transit Center (Mesa Drive/East Main Street 400 East Transfer #120, MetroLink). And if to Gilbert: Stapley Drive (1200 East) Transfer #128, Gilbert Transit Center (Gilbert Road/East Main Street 2000 East Transfer #136, MetroLink).

If Phoenix goes ahead with an extension from North 19th Avenue and West Montebello Avenue toward Metro Center (I think Phase I is to West Glendale Avenue or West Northern Avenue), the light rail line will pretty much resemble the route of the old Red Line bus route which ran from Gilbert Road to Metro Center.

When Phoenix had streetcars, the Main Line at its' peak ran from North 23d Avenue and West Adams Street to 24th Street and East Washington Street.

In Phoenix, it's Washington Street and Central Avenue, in Tempe, Mill Avenue and the Salt River (Tempe Town Lake), in Mesa, Main and Center Streets and in Apache Junction, Idaho Road and Scenic Street. Though Mesa is one of the few cities that measures on even eights, you can use eight to figure any address in the Valley of the Sun.

The bus system is based on the Phoenix City/Maricopa County numbering system, so that while Apache Boulevard is 1300 South in Tempe, Main Street is 0 in Mesa and West Apache Trail is 0 in Apache Junction, the #40 is derived from the Phoenix alignment which would be 4000 South. Dobson Road which is 2000 West in Mesa (and another number in Chandler) is 9600 East in Maricopa County, hence #96. Because Bethany Home Road is 6000 North and Valley Metro uses #60 for the bus route, Southern Avenue (6000 South in Phoenix and Maricopa County, 3300 South in Tempe, 1200 South in Mesa and 2400 South in Apache Junction) is the #61.

Archived