State of Virginia set to execute it's first woman inmate in almost 100 years

Shortline Bus

Virginia set to execute its first woman, Teresa Lewis, in almost a 100 years

By Khristina Narizhnaya

NY DAILY NEWS WRITER

Sunday, September 12th 2010

Activists are working to prevent a woman in Virginia from being the first female executed by the state in nearly 100 years.

Teresa Lewis, convicted in 2002 for plotting to kill her husband and stepson to collect $350,000 in life insurance, is scheduled to receive a lethal injection on September 23. However, new evidence suggests she may be mentally challenged, and had been manipulated by one of the men she "hired" to carry out the killings.

A website, saveteresalewis.com, has since been established in an effort to repeal the death sentence.

"It was my feeling -- at first fleeting, now certain -- that this woman doesn't deserve to die," wrote Lynn Litchfield, Lewis' former chaplain and co-founder of the site, in a column for Newsweek in August.

Lewis was found guilty of orchestrating the murders after meeting two men at a local Wal-Mart, according to reports. Matthew Shallenberger and Rodney Fuller, who were convicted in the killings, each received life sentences.

The pair broke into her home the night before Halloween in 2002. They woke Lewis, then shot her 51-year-old husband, Julian, and her 25-year-old stepson, C.J., with a shotgun.

Shallenberger killed himself in 2006, but three years earlier, wrote a letter in which he claimed to have manipulated Lewis.

For more here the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/12/2010-09-12_virginia_to_execute_the_first_woman_in_almost_a_century.html

Virginia set to execute its first woman, Teresa Lewis, in almost 100 years

By Khristina Narizhnaya

NY DAILY NEWS WRITER

Sunday, September 12th 2010

Activists are working to prevent a woman in Virginia from being the first female executed by the state in nearly 100 years.

Teresa Lewis, convicted in 2002 for plotting to kill her husband and stepson to collect $350,000 in life insurance, is scheduled to receive a lethal injection on September 23. However, new evidence suggests she may be mentally challenged, and had been manipulated by one of the men she "hired" to carry out the killings.

A website, saveteresalewis.com, has since been established in an effort to repeal the death sentence.

"It was my feeling -- at first fleeting, now certain -- that this woman doesn't deserve to die," wrote Lynn Litchfield, Lewis' former chaplain and co-founder of the site, in a column for Newsweek in August.

Lewis was found guilty of orchestrating the murders after meeting two men at a local Wal-Mart, according to reports. Matthew Shallenberger and Rodney Fuller, who were convicted in the killings, each received life sentences.

The pair broke into her home the night before Halloween in 2002. They woke Lewis, then shot her 51-year-old husband, Julian, and her 25-year-old stepson, C.J., with a shotgun.

Shallenberger killed himself in 2006, but three years earlier, wrote a letter in which he claimed to have manipulated Lewis.

For more here the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/12/2010-09-12_virginia_to_execute_the_first_woman_in_almost_a_century.html

This case as her execuation draws near is getting major national/international news coverage. This brings up an important question? Should this person be exempt from the death penalty because of her 'disability? Also what does define a 'mentally challenged' person as those in the field of psychology don't even agree on it.

What you guys think?

If you're sinister enough to plot out murder(s), you're just as guilty as the person(s) performing the physical act of the actual murder..... especially if there's a clear-cut motive....

That said, I'm not so sure she should get the death penalty though - then again, I'm only basing it from the few details that were taken from that article.... life in prison should be the bare minimum IMO....

However, I wouldn't cry foul if she did get the death penalty.... *shrugs*

You have people that believe, if you take a life, yours should be taken right along with it.....

If you're sinister enough to plot out murder(s), you're just as guilty as the person(s) performing the physical act of the actual murder.....

I'm not so sure she should get the death penalty though.. just judging from the few details that were taken from that article.... life in prison should be the bare minimum IMO....

However, I wouldn't cry foul if she did get the death penalty.... *shrugs*

You have people that believe, if you take a life, yours should be taken right along with it.....

B35 playing devil advocate again (pardon phrase)what about those who argue that if you 'mentally challenged' it's a 'disability' and should be given some leincy in murder trails?

B35 playing devil advocate again (pardon phrase)what about those who argue that if you 'mentally challenged' it's a 'disability' and should be given some leincy in murder trails?

Right back at ya with the devil's advocacy....

Would you compress your feelings & be wholly sympathetic to some retard that was responsible of ending the life of a family member of yours....

Don't know about you champ, but I sure as hell wouldn't.....

(that answers your question btw)

Right back at ya with the devil's advocacy....

Would you compress your feelings & be wholly sympathetic to some retard that was responsible of ending the life of a family member of yours....

Don't know about you champ, but I sure as hell wouldn't.....

(that answers your question btw)

Good point.:tup:

I'm sorry but that post is very ironic compared to your last few posts talking about illegal immigrants.

Agreed. Many people including the news media still use the so called "R" word.

Plus many organzations use the "Retarded' word such as the Association for the Help of Mentally Retarded Children & Adults for helping those with that disability.

http://www.ahrcnyc.org/

To anyone offened I am sorry but IMO it's not the same as clearly a racially charged slangs/words almost everyone on the planet knows of which I don't need to mention. That far worse than using slangs like the "R" word.:o Instead, i use the term "Developmental Disability' which is closer and truthful to what the name of what disability is.

Agreed. Many people including the news media still use the so called "R" word.

Plus many organzations use the "Retarded' word such as the Association for the Help of Mentally Retarded Children & Adults for helping those with that disability.

http://www.ahrcnyc.org/

To anyone offened I am sorry but IMO it's not the same as clearly a racially charged slangs/words almost everyone on the planet knows of which I don't need to mention. That far worse than using slangs like the "R" word.:o Instead, i use the term "Developmental Disability' which is closer and truthful to what the name of what disability is.

The R-word is a hateful word that is used to hurt people with disabilities. It should never be used again.

Then why not send a letter to AHRC and many in the media and business to express your concern about the "R" word? People who are so called mentally challenged come from all races/backgrounds unlike those with racial or ethnic backgrounds?

It still used by Teachers and staff at school i work at to describe students who do have developementally disabilities. Please explain Forest Glen why you so personally upset about it?

Plus why are we so off topic? It was about a Va. Woman serving a life sentence for murder trying to avoid being sent to death based on her so called 'disability?"

The R-word is a hateful word that is used to hurt people with disabilities. It should never be used again.

No, it's not. The use of the word "retard" as retardation, paired with mental to form mental retardation, is a professional oft-used term used since the beginning of the past century. Because of the wonderful slang cult of the English Language the REAL use fo the word is used for something else other than its intended definition.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Can we please get back to topic.

As for this lady i feel that she does not deserve a Death penalty more like life in prison in isolation.

Incorrect (but unlike you, i will actually give a rebuttal). Watch this video by a very popular youtube "retard" and learn why you're incorrect.

An update on this case. Ms. Lewis set to be executed on Thursday 9/23/10. However, her Lawyer and supporters are trying their best for a last minute deal that would spare her life and send her back for a lifetime prison sentence. Guys please let's keep cool on this topic.Here link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/20/2010-09-20_teresa_lewis_first_woman_to_be_executed_by_virginia_in_nearly_100_years_begs_gov.html

She's getting the death penalty yet there's people who've actually killed people that don't even have life sentences. This is just effing amazing for lack of a better term. I don't believe in the death penalty or life sentences (except some cases). She belongs in a mental hospital, she has a mental disability.

I swear this country's justice system is all over the place.

Admittedly, the video was funny. However, I wish people knew what it was like to grow up with a learning disability or speech impediment. Now let's please get back to the topic.

Getting back on topic, man that is one hideous looking woman, can't believe some guy actually married her,LOL...anyways I think the Governor should pardon her so she can be Sarah Palin's running mate for 2012.....

She's getting the death penalty yet there's people who've actually killed people that don't even have life sentences. This is just effing amazing for lack of a better term. I don't believe in the death penalty or life sentences (except some cases). She belongs in a mental hospital, she has a mental disability.

I swear this country's justice system is all over the place.

You right about our nation issue on how to deal and punish people who committed murder/violent crimes is confusing. I think it's a cultural issue as well. Anyone noticed that almost all of the states that use the death penalty reguarly are in "GOP" aka "Republican" Party, red state strongholds in the south i.e Va., Texas and Mississippi.

And this morning (9/21/10) the Va. Governor who is from the Republican Party, denied Lewis request to spare her the death penalty. Barring a last minute involvement from a Federal or the US Supreme Court, she will be put to death on Thursday.

Archived