NJ suspends ARC Tunnel work to review costs

NX Express

tunnel-mapjpg-6a7ea01919f794a3.jpg

The State of New Jersey is shutting down all new work on the Trans-Hudson Express Tunnel for 30 days to assess the project’s budget. Officials believe the project, with its $8.7-billion price tag, could see budget overrans of up to $1 billion, and the state simply does not have the money to foot that bill, The Star-Ledger reported last night. The fate of the project and the state’s plan of action after this 30-day review is up remain unclear.

Despite its flaws, this tunnel, the centerpiece of the plan known as the Access to the Region’s Core, remains a key piece of New York’s infrastructure expansion plans, and New Jersey Transit has imposed this 30-day moratorium at the behest of the Federal Transit Administration. Officials hope that the review shows a project on or close to budget. “During that 30 days, we’re going to do a full evaluation of our go-forward costs,” NJ Transit Executive Director James Weinstein said. He later added, “The governor has made it clear to me that this project must stay on time and on budget. Anything short of that is unacceptable. During the next 30 days we will work to meet that directive.”

The tunnel is currently under construction with work proceeding apace in North Bergen and under the Palisades. While these aspects of the project will be permitted to go forward, no new bids will be accepted or contracts issued until the 30 days are up. While nothing specific to the ARC Tunnel’s plans have triggered this review period, FTA officials have compared it to the now-late and over-budget East Side Access and Second Ave. Subway digs.

Read more at Second Avenue Sagas.

Why does the tunnel curve underground dipping south then returning north isnt that unnecessary tunneling.

The reason for that is based on the geology of the ground, as well as avoiding a reservoir, and the existing structures on the NJ side. Also, they will need that length to get the height needed, remember the new station terminal will have 2 levels, you need space to separate them vertically & allow cross overs to be built, plus you need a proper angle to cross the PRR tunnels without too hard of an S curve towards the end.

- A

Thanks a lot :P I always meant to research the reasons behind that curve. I also felt that loop back around from the lower to the upper level was a little redundant but i see why that need to be done.

That is for trains to get to and from the NEC tracks from the hoboken division main, as well as access to and from the yard.

- A

So metsfan or anyone else what you think of Gov. Christie ordered 'suspension of the ARC tunnel project? Christie claims this is been done to avoid cost overruns and after the review he will allow the project to continue if it's proven overruns will not occur?

I am not a fan of Gov. Christie but on this mega project, I think this is the right call for this '30-60 day review period' providing he is telling the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

If they don't built the goddam ARC Tunnel then NJ Transit might as well hang themselves because they're are many lines that need to be built (i.e. MOM, Raritan Valley to Penn, Lackawanna Cut-Off) in cordiances with the ARC. They can shut it down. If Christie does, he just a lost a resident of Jersey.

If they don't built the goddam ARC Tunnel then NJ Transit might as well hang themselves because they're are many lines that need to be built (i.e. MOM, Raritan Valley to Penn, Lackawanna Cut-Off) in cordiances with the ARC. They can shut it down. If Christie does, he just a lost a resident of Jersey.

and according to you, he just did

http://www.wgme.com/template/inews_wire/wires.national/2314e783-www.wgme.com.shtml

and don't worry, I agree.... there is no way he is getting re elected for a second term after this..... that dumb fat bastard...

:mad::mad::mad:dammit tht governor has done it again he took something we desperately needed away AGAIN!!! (NJT) is toast with this governor he needs to stop cutting things from NJT hes slowly reducing it to NOTHING!!! What's next hes gonna stop the ALP45 order?!?!? IM really pissed off now now for next 7-10 yrs were gonna have to deal with trains getting stuck in the old tunnels

:mad::mad::mad:dammit tht governor has done it again he took something we desperately needed away AGAIN!!! (NJT) is toast with this governor he needs to stop cutting things from NJT hes slowly reducing it to NOTHING!!! What's next hes gonna stop the ALP45 order?!?!? IM really pissed off now now for next 7-10 yrs were gonna have to deal with trains getting stuck in the old tunnels

If you want it so bad, you pay the $8 billion it will cost.

How are you supposed to build anything if you dont have money? Listen, I would love to support this project. But Christie is right. NJ has no money to build this.

IMO since this is basically 'mutli-state' tunnel, Washington should be paying for most or all of this project.

Still Christie could have placed on hold instead of basically killing and pushing back for the next NJ Gov.

This is NJ's version of what the (MTA) and NYC/NYS did around 1975 killing the Second Ave subway.

No, more like let the Rail division of NJT crumble and basically put people back into their cars and jam up the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels more. Oh, and lets not forget the totally packed out PATH trains at Newark Penn Station alone.

Yeah, thats lots of fun.

I know Amtrak has something up their sleeve if the FTA and Gov. Christie don't work something out today....

Archived