NJ suspends ARC Tunnel work to review costs

NX Express

Ok here's the deal.

If you want to be competitive in the global business world into the future, you need more rail capacity under the hudson into nyc. Not expanding capacity will mean that NYC and its massive metro area will become second rate, companies will not invest in a city and region unable to cope with demand.

The pennsylvania railroad north river tunnels are one hundred years old, and are put through stresses they were never intended. They leak, they have wire problems, they need to be able to shut them down here and again for proper fixes vs patches or risk losing the tunnel to the river or a cave-in. There is one entire track in, and one entire track out of a station that is a national transportation hub, a station which sports 12 tracks used for trains that travel into new jersey and beyond.

During peak hours, they can not move trains out fast enough due to the speed restrictions of the tunnels and the sheer number of fare paying bodies that board in nyc. There are a few short term (by short i mean a few years) things they can do, namely qualify the new ALP-46a's for 125, and let those locomotives carry 2 extra multilevels. This will only buy time till the original completion date of ~2017 if that.

PATH is crush loaded during peak hours, people are going to find jobs elsewhere and the money will go with them.

This is not some expensive extra thing, it is an investment in the future of NY, NJ, the region and the rest of the country that we cannot afford to skip on.

Think of it as getting a new 4 door 5 seat car when your wife just had triplets & all you have is a 2 door 2 seater & keeping the old one too.

- A

Ok here's the deal.

If you want to be competitive in the global business world into the future, you need more rail capacity under the hudson into nyc. Not expanding capacity will mean that NYC and its massive metro area will become second rate, companies will not invest in a city and region unable to cope with demand.

The pennsylvania railroad north river tunnels are one hundred years old, and are put through stresses they were never intended. They leak, they have wire problems, they need to be able to shut them down here and again for proper fixes vs patches or risk losing the tunnel to the river or a cave-in. There is one entire track in, and one entire track out of a station that is a national transportation hub, a station which sports 12 tracks used for trains that travel into new jersey and beyond.

During peak hours, they can not move trains out fast enough due to the speed restrictions of the tunnels and the sheer number of fare paying bodies that board in nyc. There are a few short term (by short i mean a few years) things they can do, namely qualify the new ALP-46a's for 125, and let those locomotives carry 2 extra multilevels. This will only buy time till the original completion date of ~2017 if that.

PATH is crush loaded during peak hours, people are going to find jobs elsewhere and the money will go with them.

This is not some expensive extra thing, it is an investment in the future of NY, NJ, the region and the rest of the country that we cannot afford to skip on.

Think of it as getting a new 4 door 5 seat car when your wife just had triplets & all you have is a 2 door 2 seater & keeping the old one too.

- A

Ok. Thats all fine and dandy (and true), but how are you going to pay for it? Really, I'd love to hear your ideas. This isn't like where you can get a car loan and defer the costs until later.

This guy could single handedly destroy NJ.

- A

He already did Andy. We're paying 10% more taxes, our schools are underfunded, and NJ Transit's prices are thought the roof.

No, more like let the Rail division of NJT crumble and basically put people back into their cars and jam up the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels more. Oh, and lets not forget the totally packed out PATH trains at Newark Penn Station alone.

Yeah, thats lots of fun.

I know Amtrak has something up their sleeve if the FTA and Gov. Christie don't work something out today....

Shittttt, Amtrak should build it's own tunnel because of the cancellation of the 'new' Penn Station. I know Amtrak is cooking something because right now I know the president of Amtrak want to strangle Christie now. Supposedly, Amtrak wants to pay the extra $$ outta pocket.

Ok. Thats all fine and dandy (and true), but how are you going to pay for it? Really, I'd love to hear your ideas. This isn't like where you can get a car loan and defer the costs until later.

You so quick to throw the "P" word. We have the $8 billion! The only thing that keeping the tunnel from being built is the extra $4 billion that got added on. Why cant they just alter the plan and make it a single level four track station? Idk they don't think like I do.

The problem with trying to go into nyp proper with added tunnels, is that sunnyside yard is only so big, and with the ESA coming through and the east end inside the balloon is needed for construction and other storage.

When you get the dual mode locos and all the equipment ordered on property in service, hoboken will see a few more trains per hour, but the yards at hoboken terminal are at capacity, and the MMC can only store so many trains that aren't in for work or inspection.

Enter the new yard:

85ec3180.jpg

Built where you see the soil between the M&E main and the river. This site has been totally redone and they are grading it using soil dredged from the river.

Map:

a2baacd4.jpg

Trains will be able to move to and from "new penn station" and the yard without disrupting traffic on the NEC.

The bottleneck:

171eec56.jpg

- A

Archived