Cynical suggestion for WHERE Castleton's replacement Depot should be built.

Santa Fe via Willow

Were (MTA)(NYCT) to close the Castleton Depot, which, in these economic times won't happen anyway, I suggest (MTA)(NYCT) pull a Giants & put Castleton's successor Garage in New Jersey.

It makes sense. Maybe alot of cents. Think about it.

Alot of (MTA)(NYCT) employees stationed at SI Depots live in NJ anyway. Some even in Pennsylvania.

So, taking that into consideration, it'd make sense. Shorter commute times for many workers. Lower cost of gas in NJ. Would help bistate bus routing & mass transit:)

Where to put it? Near the Goethals &/or Bayonne Bridges would make the most cents. I mean sense.

Actually, this isn't as far-fetched as you think.

International Speedway Corporation (essentially an arm of NASCAR) had bought up land hoping to build a racetrack near the West Shore Expressway where it meets the Staten Island Expressway. If that land is available, I think that that could make good use for a mega-depot that could include 25 bays and house as many as 450 buses (but most likely around 400 realistically).

Another spot would be by the Howland Hook Container Terminal. Key in each instance would be access to a major expressway. Castleton Depot is getting up there in age.

Actually, this isn't as far-fetched as you think.

International Speedway Corporation (essentially an arm of NASCAR) had bought up land hoping to build a racetrack near the West Shore Expressway where it meets the Staten Island Expressway. If that land is available, I think that that could make good use for a mega-depot that could include 25 bays and house as many as 450 buses (but most likely around 400 realistically).

Another spot would be by the Howland Hook Container Terminal. Key in each instance would be access to a major expressway. Castleton Depot is getting up there in age.

:tup::cool:

I have similar thoughts re: the ISC`s land as a spot for Castleton's replacement. Maybe that ISC land could also be used by NYC's DOS to put a replacement garage for their Jersey St Depot there.

Howland Hook would be a good spot too for Castleton's successor.

In both cases, Castleton's replacement would be near the North Shore SIR & West Shore Lightrail, if/when those things exist.

I'd say put Castleton's replacement on the ISC land & Jersey St's replacement at Howland Hook.

Castleton is supposedly set for a rehab as well, but who knows when that will be.

I personally don't think it's a good idea. Depot's aren't built for the convenience of the B/O's. They are usually, and should be built to logistically make sense, and builing one in Joysey would not be efficient for SI operations. I think it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up right where it is.

Castleton is supposedly set for a rehab as well, but who knows when that will be.

I personally don't think it's a good idea. Depot's aren't built for the convenience of the B/O's. They are usually, and should be built to logistically make sense, and builing one in Joysey would not be efficient for SI operations. I think it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up right where it is.

:tup:

Similar to how some of the region's sports stadiums have been rebuilt:

On the same spot, or virtually on the same spot.

Also, is it possible (NYCT)'s Castleton Depot & DOS's Jersey St Garage make the immediate area's around them safer? I understand residents complaints about traffic & pollution.

I could be completely dead wrong about bus depots & garbage truck garages making the street & immediate vicinity "safer". ?

During the day, they possibly make those neighborhoods safer (though not many areas on Staten Island really qualify as "dangerous"), but at night, they could actually be a magnet for crime.

I mean, those are pretty big buildings that probably aren't well staffed at night-a good place to deal drugs, or mug somebody in the shadows, not to mention teenagers can hang out and spray grafitti. The problem is with the timing: Those depots are probably minimally staffed 24/7, but between 1AM and 5AM, all of the buses are either out on the road (for runs on the routes that run 24/7) or in the depot, so there aren't a whole lot of transit personell hanging out.

I mean, this is just speculation. I don't live near either of those landmarks, so I have no real experience with these neighborhoods at night. However, I do often pass through there during the day, and I don't think these depots make a huge difference as far as crime during the day goes.

However, in the middle of a residential neighborhood may not be the best idea.

A garage near the West Shore Expressway and the Staten Island Expressway could still be just a 5-10 minute run-on and run-off for most North Shore routes. The express routes that currently end at the Castleton Depot could be extended (for example, the X10 and X14 could be rerouted to end in Mariners' Harbor at Walker and Morningstar, and the western end of every route that should be reasonably assigned to that new garage would be no more than 10 minutes away).

And another upside to replacing Castleton Depot elsewhere: The deadhead to St. George Terminal would use the Staten Island Expressway and Targee/Van Duzer Streets instead of Richmond Terrace. Fewer buses would be returning with battered shocks.

The garage, BTW, should reasonably have 17 maintenance bays for 350 buses...not 400 (Staten Island Division has less than 800 buses).

However, in the middle of a residential neighborhood may not be the best idea.

A garage near the West Shore Expressway and the Staten Island Expressway could still be just a 5-10 minute run-on and run-off for most North Shore routes. The express routes that currently end at the Castleton Depot could be extended (for example, the X10 and X14 could be rerouted to end in Mariners' Harbor at Walker and Morningstar, and the western end of every route that should be reasonably assigned to that new garage would be no more than 10 minutes away).

And another upside to replacing Castleton Depot elsewhere: The deadhead to St. George Terminal would use the Staten Island Expressway and Targee/Van Duzer Streets instead of Richmond Terrace. Fewer buses would be returning with battered shocks.

Very true sir.... I didn't look at it that way.

Archived