Straphanger's school science project smokes on train; scares other riders

Trainspotter

Straphanger's school science project smokes on train; scares other riders

BY ALISON GENDAR and OREN YANIV

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

March 28th 2008

[float=right]amd_kats.jpg

Theodorakis for News

Gregory Kats with gadget[/float]A school science project that went awry and caused smoke to billow from a student's backpack sent panicked (;) train riders scurrying for the exits Thursday in Brooklyn.

"This is not a bomb! This is not terror!" yelled Gregory Kats, 29, a computer engineering student at the New York City College of Technology.

Kats, 29, was heading home from school when wires on a device he had built short-circuited in his backpack, he told the Daily News afterward.

When white smoke began spiraling out of his backpack as the train neared the Seventh Ave. station in Park Slope, riders quickly became alarmed, he said.

"They were panicking, and I realized their fear," an apologetic Kats said at his Sheepshead Bay home.

They "started to jump out of the train" as soon as it stopped at the platform and the doors opened, Kats said.

He said he tried to disassemble the contraption on the platform even as he reassured riders, "Don't worry. This is my science project."

A police bomb squad was dispatched, and cops grabbed Kats and questioned him.

But Kats was released a couple of hours later with his science project and without being charged, cops said.

The device, which has a small battery and motor, mimics the internal operations of an elevator, Kats said.

"I'm very sorry for what happened," Kats said. "I hate to scare people. Next time, I'll be much more careful and keep my electronic projects at home."

Just like with people, you don't run from anything white. It's harmless. If it's black you run, as it can be hazardous to your health, and hurt or kill you..........

LOL@DOB,that is so true. Also the guy looks like a dwarf or a midget from that picture,look at how short his arms are.

Just like with people, you don't run from anything white. It's harmless. If it's black you run, as it can be hazardous to your health, and hurt or kill you..........

ROFLMAO!! Just stupid for no reason!!

Damn that sucks. First thing came to the minds of the people on the train, "ITS A BOMB!"

Must've been questioned so harshly at first.

I bet! It's a good thing I wasn't on that train! Not sure exacty what I would have done though......

The guy on the picture with a circuit assembly is me too.

This semesrer I atent NYC College of Technology, majoring in Electromechanical/Comptuer Engineering. On thrusday, I there was namely a class where we build a scaled model that demonstrates the elevator.

Its catalog number is EM2461, and it is required my the major.

As usual, my class ended at 12:30 PM, I packet the circuit the way it was set in calss, and did not change anything just to prevent it from falling appart. and I took a train home.

When I was already in a B train (R40M 4522) I decided to open my school bag and check "how is my circuit lays" and so a pile of smoke comming out of my school bag. I was in horror. My first thought was to

1)disconnect everything, and let it cool down. and

2)Inform other riders that this is my college project

... not something dangerous. ... as in fact it is.

the reason for a smoke was a short circuit of 2 wire leads comming froma battery holder. Batteries were heated up, along with contacts and the plastic (of which that crappy battery holder is made) started to fuse causing a pile of smoke.

And then, happened what you see in the story.

This semesrer I atent NYC College of Technology, majoring in Electromechanical/Comptuer Engineering. On thrusday, I there was namely a class where we build a scaled model that demonstrates the elevator.

As usual, my class ended at 12:30 PM, I packet the circuit the way it was set in calss, and did not change anything just to prevent it from falling appart. and I took a train home.

When I was already in a B train (R40M 4522) I decided to open my school bag and check "how is my circuit lays" and so a pile of smoke comming out of my school bag. I was in horror. My first thought was to

the reason for a smoke was a short circuit of 2 wire leads comming froma battery holder. Batteries were heated up, along with contacts and the plastic (of which that crappy battery holder is made) started to fuse causing a pile of smoke.

Now we know your face, and to keep batteries away from you.......

WOW! Must've sucked the way NYPD questioned you as they said in the story.

Should've gotten a ride dude....

Archived