Paladino wins NYS GOP Primary sets up showdown with Cuomo

Shortline Bus

Paladino wins GOP gov primary, setting up showdown with Cuomo

GOP governor primary, setting up showdown with Andrew Cuomo

BY Kenneth Lovett

NY DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU CHIEF

Wednesday, September 15th 2010

Andrew Cuomo is about to face the fury of a "mad as hell" Tea Party candidate in surprise GOP rival Carl Paladino.

The maverick Buffalo businessman stunned the political class Tuesday night by winning the GOP gubernatorial nod - setting up a bruising showdown with Cuomo.

Paladino was thumping party leaders' pick for the job, Long Islander Rick Lazio, by a roughly 2-to-1 margin when The Associated Press called the race in his favor at 11p.m.

Paladino's win is a major boost for the Tea Party movement in New York.

"If we learned anything tonight it's that New Yorkers are as mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore," said Paladino, echoing his campaign theme.

"The people have spoken."

Paladino, a multimillionaire who has promised to spend up to $10 million of his own money on the race, now faces Cuomo in what should be a brutal two-month slugfest.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/14/2010-09-14_tea_partybacked_carl_paladino_wins_gop_governor_primary_setting_up_showdown_with.html#ixzz0zgEwDK7j

Paladino's upset win in the GOP Primary is huge as now Andrew Cuomo will according to political 'experts' and oddsmakers an even huge favorite to become the state's next chief exceutive.

Feel free to talk anything in NY Primaries/General Election. he other noteable results include 20-term Congressman Charles Rangel survives a brutal challeng f Adam Clayton Powell IV. Also Pedro Espada the Democratic leader of the NY State lost his re-election bids. And Eric Schinderman won the Demo. Primary vs. Nassau County,LI DA Kathy Rice and likely succed Andrew Cuomo.

I'm concerned. But this guy seems more honest than anyone else I've heard. I'll save myself the tirade of his personality being little on the whackjob side and be glad he's at least speaking his mind despite what it gets him. It beats being lied to by a smooth talker.

Would say a 'Wiseguy' version of Ross Perot? (remember him joking:cool:)

Lazio wasn't going to win anyway. Much as the GOP doesn't like Paladino, he's got a better chance than Lazio imo.

A small bit of consolation prize for Mr. Lazio. Lazio will be on the 'consertative' party ballot for Governor in November. With that said, how often does '3rd party' canadiates win statewide office in New York State?:eek:

The last non republican or democratic office holder elected by New Yorkers was James L. Buckley, a conservative elected to the US Senate in 1970. he lost the seat to senator Moynihan, but ended up getting booted across the street to a federal bench job. He is the last third party person elected to congress

the last third party member to hold a major state office was Joseph O'Leary, a member of the American Labor party, who was appointed Comptroller in 1941 by Gov. Lehman to replace the pervious one, who had died. he served one year, losing a re-ellection bid in 1942.

to find someone who was not ellected from one of the major parties, you have to go all the way back to before the civil war, when a few "Know Nothings" made it.

Great info thanks buddy. With that said, as an 'independent voter' I am very disappointed how other than Espana almost all of the NY Senate and Assembly was re-elected in the primary from Tuesday.

Hello guys! So don't complain when the (MTA) probably offers more service cuts in the near future. How did Kevin Parker and Carl Kruger won with landslide and unopposed anyhow?:mad::tdown:

Here a great Daily News article from post election?

Here an article on the huge rule of how upstate NY Voters had in Paladino upset win in the GOP Primary. However for him to win the Governor's seat, he must also win Nassau/Suffolk County in Long Island and Westchester/Hudson Valley (i.e Rockland, Orange and Dutchess Counties)as well for any serious chance to pull it off. It's almost certain that Cuomo will win the 5 boroughs of NYC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/19/2010-09-19_upstatedownstate_rift_chasmwide_in_gov_race.html

Here an article on the huge rule of how upstate NY Voters had in Paladino upset win in the GOP Primary. However for him to win the Governor's seat, he must also win Nassau/Suffolk County in Long Island and Westchester/Hudson Valley (i.e Rockland, Orange and Dutchess Counties)as well for any serious chance to pull it off. It's almost certain that Cuomo will win the 5 boroughs of NYC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/19/2010-09-19_upstatedownstate_rift_chasmwide_in_gov_race.html

I doubt he'll get NYC's vote..those morons upstate want to make things worse I see...

Seriously why cant NYC remain the capital of the USA ?

I doubt he'll get NYC's vote..those morons upstate want to make things worse I see...

Seriously why cant NYC remain the capital of the USA ?

Not to get too off topic. I agree that NYC should be the state captial of either NY state or a new state caled LI which would include Nassau/Suffolk and Westchester/Rockland. Doubt it will ever happen.

To me there are more pressing national issues i.e raising the age requirement to become US President to age 50, fixing the tax system, deciding or whether both Puerto Rico & Washington D.C should be the 51st/52nd states and creating a national election for US Attorney General, etc. Those are more important than whether NYC is the national captial or not. I always thought NYC was the unoffical captial of the world already.

Archived