Another MegaBus Fail, Double Decker Coach Strikes SEPTA Tow Truck

Cait Sith

Megabus strikes SEPTA work truck

* September 15th, 2010 10:57 am ET

On the heels of a fatal accident in Upstate New York this past weekend, a double-decker coach owned by Coach USA based Megabus was involved in a minor accident with a SEPTA utility truck in University City this morning.

The accident occured at around 3:15 a.m. near 30th Street Station. According to witnesses on board the Washington-bound M21 bus, one of the cargo hatches on the curb side of the bus opened as the Van Hool TD925 double-decker coach #DD441 turned off of 32nd Street onto Market Street. The hatch door reportedly struck a SEPTA track department work truck; the loose door was torn off its hinges, rendering the coach inoperable.

Approximately 60 passengers were aboard the bus at the time of the accident. No injuries were reported. A replacement bus had arrived in Philadelphia at around 5:30 a.m. - nearly two hours after the incident. Several passengers were complaining that the driver had repeatedly stated the replacement bus would be arriving "within 20 minutes." It was a statement that had been repeated at several intervals during the 2 hour ordeal.

This is the second accident involving a Megabus coach operating from or through Philadelphia in the past week. Four people were killed and four others, including the driver, were injured after a Megabus double-decker coach struck a low railroad underpass outside of Syracuse, N.Y.

The Toronto-bound M34 bus was en route from Philadelphia to Toronto when the driver reportedly missed his exit to the Regional Transportation Center in Syracuse and struck the railroad bridge on the Onondage Lake Parkway in Salina early Saturday morning.

The Onondaga County Sheriff's Office identified one of the deceased as an DeAnna Armstrong, 18, of Voorhees, N.J.; a second victim killed in the accident was identified as a Kansas native attending college in Philadelphia. All four of the dead were reportedly sitting in the upper deck of the coach at the time of the accident.

Source : http://www.examiner.com/metro-transportation-in-philadelphia/megabus-strikes-septa-work-truck

-----------------

Oh man, this is really not looking good for MegaBus at all. two incidents in such a short time. Boltbus for moi it is!

Unless Amtrak starts offering $1 tickets, I'll pass and go over to Bolt Bus.

Those Double Deckers at Megabus are trouble for Coach USA I tell ya....

I've never taken Bolt Bus, the only bus line I use now is Martz. When I lived up in Albany, I would take Slamtrak when ever I could. There's just something about being on a bus (or car) and not being in control that bothers me.

As for this Mega Bus thing, you get what you pay for.

I've never taken Bolt Bus, the only bus line I use now is Martz. When I lived up in Albany, I would take Slamtrak when ever I could. There's just something about being on a bus (or car) and not being in control that bothers me.

As for this Mega Bus thing, you get what you pay for.

I actually took Bolt Bus 1x from NYC-DC last summer ('09)and it was alot of fun. Bolt Bus is owned by Greyhound. After i read about Mega Bus I am also given 2nd thoughts about using them.

IMO i think the double decker buses have to go and just use the regular buses for Mega/Coach USA if they stay in business. Their other intra city buses such as those on Shortline and other regional bus service around the country is ok.

Till then if i have to go anywhere else i personally will take only Bolt/Greyhound for the major NE cities i.e DC, Philly or Boston or NY Trailways or Greyhound for service to Toronto or Montreal.

PS Don't even bother with what Forest Glen says and any helpful advice anymore, he going to do what he wants.

Right, the double deckers aren't the problem, Coach USA just sucks.

Which also brings up an interesting question to the table, why did they make the move to own / have a contract with EASTERN bus? Its really mind boggling in my view. Eastern Bus might be one of the most stable and probably one of the best chinabus operators down here but there are certain things that speak otherwise....

How? I didn't write "incorrect" or "nope". I stated my candid opinion.

Well not so much your second post but in your first, you keep straying from the topic at hand. We're talking about another incident within a week but you go posting about how you're gonna take Megabus to wherever. That doesn't really further the discussions.

On top of that, how did the side hatch mysteriously pop open on this bus. You say it can happen with any bus, I give you that... but the thing is, how come it doesn't? Maintenance / consistency issue between MegaBus or VanHool?

Which also brings up an interesting question to the table, why did they make the move to own / have a contract with EASTERN bus? Its really mind boggling in my view. Eastern Bus might be one of the most stable and probably one of the best chinabus operators down here but there are certain things that speak otherwise....

Two words: money talks.

How? I didn't write "incorrect" or "nope". I stated my candid opinion.

At least try not to set yourself up again. Nothing wrong with opinions but still...

I wonder what Coach USA/MegaBus does and how long they take training these drivers because...it's really been a bad-luck week for the system

People were talking the same trash about the DC Metro last year. A few isolated incidents mean nothing. I felt safe every time I used Megabus. Maybe I was so engrossed in my DVDs that I didn't notice unsafe driving. Or maybe I was extremely lucky and had good drivers on those particular trips.

People were talking the same trash about the DC Metro last year. A few isolated incidents mean nothing. I felt safe every time I used Megabus. Maybe I was so engrossed in my DVDs that I didn't notice unsafe driving. Or maybe I was extremely lucky and had good drivers on those particular trips.

I think you are lucky. Before I used to swear I would never ride another subway again just because of that DC accident. But now an interest in trains is slowly overtaking my interest in buses! And I guess I have been lucky all the times I've ridden rail! And I am not afraid to give MegaBus a shot but I have my cautions.

*aside from the sad moment when an acela ripped a Labrador in half...and I saw the remains thereof*

It's not even about all that. There are some critical issues that have hit the news and it can cost lives, such as the driver error this past saturday.

I don't know why you brought up DC Metro into this, but just to clarify, things haven't been so peachy. They've gone through a downward spiral the last few years with the issues they've been having. Good thing is that there hasn't been much in the news lately about problems at DC Metro so things must be alright and management over there is trying to set things right.

There have been big problems that have hurt many people, but the little things can be just as bad.

Yes, things like this can happen to any transit system and agency, but when you have incidents and bad maintenance being shown, it sets an example and thats what we're sseeing now. Let's this be something that other companies see and hopefully they'll take the message to always make sure things are running tip-top shape.

Archived