Another MegaBus Fail, Double Decker Coach Strikes SEPTA Tow Truck

Cait Sith

Well stated. [Would click the thanks button if it was showing.]

As for the DC metro comment: last major tragedy for the NYC subway was in the 90s with the Willy B and Union Sq accidents. Compare that to the DC near tragedies/tragedies that have happened in 2004 and 2009. So I think I'll take my chances with NYC over DC at the moment.

People were talking the same trash about the DC Metro last year. A few isolated incidents mean nothing. I felt safe every time I used Megabus. Maybe I was so engrossed in my DVDs that I didn't notice unsafe driving. Or maybe I was extremely lucky and had good drivers on those particular trips.

As the NTSB says in EVERY accident report involving the DC Metro, there "culture of safety" is next to non existent. From workers not flagging while on the road bed, to letting trains operate normally in an area with faulty signal equipment, to say each incident is isolated shows you are ignorant of how their operation runs.

well stated. [would click the thanks button if it was showing.]

as for the dc metro comment: Last major tragedy for the nyc subway was in the 90s with the willy b and union sq accidents. Compare that to the dc near tragedies/tragedies that have happened in 2004 and 2009. So i think i'll take my chances with nyc over dc at the moment.

iawtp

On top of that, how did the side hatch mysteriously pop open on this bus. You say it can happen with any bus, I give you that... but the thing is, how come it doesn't? Maintenance / consistency issue between MegaBus or VanHool?

Hatches pop open all the time...but usually on older equipment. If it's a chronic problem then the drivers need to write it up and the mechs need to fix it. I'm not sure if the TD925 has air or electric locks on the baggage doors,but the electric locks tend to be a little bit more prone to popping open....the J4500s have this problem,used to drive our mechs crazy. Air locks tend to be more secure unless the door isn't closed properly. I've seen a Greyhound MC-12 scatter luggage all over the Madison Av bridge because the door wasn't secured the right way before leaving the PABT.

Right, the double deckers aren't the problem, Coach USA just sucks

I agree to a point Pablo. I think their rush to expand is causing them the hire any warm body to fill the seat. One of the senior guys at my job has a saying "There are people who drive buses and people who are bus drivers...which one are you?" There are a lotta people with CDLs but do they have what it takes to drive a 13'4 coach with up to 81 passengers. This job is a lot tougher than what it looks like....I'm 1 of 2 left of a class of 10 at Bonanza. What CUSA pays also has a lot to do with the quality of drivers they are attracting. The fact that they are taking guys with fresh CDLs is very telling. Greyhound does that,but they have one HELL of a training program.

Again I'll say it: Megabus/CUSA has it work cut out for itself. I'm sure the DOT will be all over them in the coming weeks. That's not a good place to be...they find some serious violations Megabus could be MegaGone.

Archived