Comments about the B7 route in Brooklyn

Shortline Bus

Well, you live by the route... not many can make that claim !

anyway, B7's do get packed at times.... and it's usually by schoolkids (who don't pay out of pocket anyway) & seniors b/w the stretch in question...

why do I say that... well, the young adult & the middle aged adult IMO is more apt to walk to some other nearby route, then having to wait for a unreliable B7... this is clearly the case in Flatlands & East Flatbush.... and it's been like that for years....

During this past summer, the only crowds I saw on the B7 were b/w [the B/Q station] & [flatbush av]... the B7 anywhere here in my neck o' the woods was virtually empty.... North of Remsen, I don't know, but I cannot imagine that many more people using the route.... of course, (you) living on the more northern portion of the route, feel free to correct me bro....

Oh, I know B7 riders xfer to those routes you mention, and then some.... I'm not implying no one uses the route... what I'm questioning is the daily, routine usage north of flatbush as a first option... I gotta say, on a consistent basis, I'm not so sure this is the case... the service on this route has stunk to the high heavens for the longest...

Just look at the history of the B7 and the neighborhoods it serves(served). I'm quite a bit older than some of you but just check out the reason for it's original routing. Ocean Hill- Brownsville-East Flatbush-Flatbush. Need I make it any clearer ? I'm amazed it's lasted this long. If not for the school kids it'd probably would have been eliminated in the '70's or '80's. I used to use it or the B60 to get to Broadway around Marion St and the B7 would be almost empty from Pitkin, East New York 'til the end. Extending it to Ridgewood is a good idea but the routing between East Flatbush and Ridgewood would have to change first to justify it. Saratoga, Hopkinson(Boyland), sorry about that.

Just look at the history of the B7 and the neighborhoods it serves(served). I'm quite a bit older than some of you but just check out the reason for it's original routing. Ocean Hill- Brownsville-East Flatbush-Flatbush. Need I make it any clearer ? I'm amazed it's lasted this long. If not for the school kids it'd probably would have been eliminated in the '70's or '80's. I used to use it or the B60 to get to Broadway around Marion St and the B7 would be almost empty from Pitkin, East New York 'til the end. Extending it to Ridgewood is a good idea but the routing between East Flatbush and Ridgewood would have to change first to justify it. Saratoga, Hopkinson(Boyland), sorry about that.

Don't forget Bed-Stuy. I'm also inclined to believe that too. But if it were extended to Ridgewood, it think could take either the current route via Halsey, or via a portion of Rockaway and remain viable. But I think it should retain the north part of Saratoga also.

Everything you said before you mentioned Ridgewood, I don't disagree.... was gonna say that very thing (about the prevalence/utilization of) schoolkids keeping that route afloat for as long as it has... yeah it would have been gone around the 70's/80's, if you say B7's were empty around the time you used to take it.... I don't think it would be missed, south of like, Church av anyway....

Now with this B82 ltd we have, the B7 definitely wouldn't have been missed on its southern end if it were gone.

------------------------------------------------

Since Shortline brought up Ridgewood, I don't know.... I disagree w/ the notion that the B7 should go up there... the ridership towards broadway definitely doesn't support it, and the amount of ppl. xferring to the B20 (another discombobulated route) or the B26 (more realistically) doesn't show/support it either really... unless these people are taking the (J) back to the (M) ?

you gotta ask yourself, are Ridgewoodians looking to travel to mid-Brooklyn...

(not necessarily east flatbush, but the general vicinity)

I can't say with any certainty that's the case.

Archived