Trains in the Rain

Joel Up Front

Say if you're on a line that runs underground but then becomes elevated, then goes underground again and it starts raining while you're underground, but you don't know about what's going on above ground until you get out of a tunnel...

Does the train operator typically hang back a bit and slow down in the tunnel or slow down gradually when the lead car is out of the tunnel?

I wouldn't know - I have NEVER been on a train while the weather was especially crappy. I feel for the LIRR/NJT riders in Penn Station.

Whenever a train is dealing with wet rails, additional stopping distance must be allowed. So if it's a station like Dyckman where the station is right at the tunnel opening, might be a good idea to hang back and see what outside conditions are before flying into the station at full speed.

If the stations is far from the tunnel opening, no big deal, just make a note of what's going on.

Whenever a train is dealing with wet rails, additional stopping distance must be allowed. So if it's a station like Dyckman where the station is right at the tunnel opening, might be a good idea to hang back and see what outside conditions are before flying into the station at full speed.

If the stations is far from the tunnel opening, no big deal, just make a note of what's going on.

Similar situation with Hunters Pt Av (7), AND its on a steep downgrade unlike Dyckman.

The (5) goes in the sub from Morris Park to north of Pelham Pkwy. Not a long time, but a perfectly timed storm and the history of delays in that open cut (!) with overhanging trees (!) can do wonders.

Morris Park (5) is still elevated. It goes underground at Pelham Parkway, then in a trench at Gun Hill Rd then elevated at Baychester and Eastchester Dyre.

I have, but I didn't notice any changes. But then again Im not a railfan, so I most likely would not have noticed anyway. But it was the (J), so it didn't go sub, el, sub. They have lines that do that??

Actually the (J) is one of those lines, except that the elevated portion is really long. It goes underground in Manhatan, over the Williamsburg Bridge, elevated through Brooklyn and Queens, and then underground in Jamaica.

This reminds me of how many tourists in lower Manhattan are shocked to see a train come in all wet...apparently they don't realize that outside of manhattan, the subway is not always below ground.

That always makes me laugh!!!!!!!! :cool:

- A

This reminds me of how many tourists in lower Manhattan are shocked to see a train come in all wet...apparently they don't realize that outside of manhattan, the subway is not always below ground.

Sometimes it would be all foggy and can't see inside from all the humidity trapped inside the train with its doors open on the structure in the rain. And the fog don't go away right away either.

Archived