SIR Capital Program 2008-2013

TransitGuy

According to the Capital Plan 2008-2013, the following is planned for the SIR.

"Staten Island Railway was created in 1971 when the City of New York purchased the railroad from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. SIR serves an average of 15,000 weekday riders and includes 23 stations, 64 rail cars, 30 track miles of mainline track, 5.1 track miles of yard track, 32 mainline switches, 42 yard switches, two support and maintenance shops, 25

work trains, 28.6 route miles of structures, 28 thru-spans, 48 mainline signals, 41 yard signals, and five power substations. The overall SIR system is in good repair except for two passenger stations, yard track, and yard switches.

The 2008-2013 Capital Program

The proposed 2008-2013 Capital Program includes $276 million for SIR. The entire R44 railcar fleet will be replaced ($192 million). The Atlantic and Nassau stations, which are dilapidated and located very close to each other, will be replaced with a single, new, ADA-accessible “Arthur Kill” passenger station ($16 million). Also planned are Phase 1 of the modernization of track and switches at the St. George Terminal ($30 million), and the repair of nine bridges/thruspans ($38 million)."

Its seems that the MTA wants to fully replace the current rolling stock at the SIR rather than transferring older cars there. Also, it seems the MTA is going to remove the Atlantic and Nassau stations in favor of one station named Arthur Kill. Any comments?

Hmmm....so the entire fleet is gonna go.

Three choices:

1. R179s

2. Modified M8s

3. Something totally different

It'll most likely be just R179s.

I honestly don't see it as M8's because in another section, they did mention it would be B division cars. So my bet is on the R179's. But there is a possibility for something else.

NOOOOO dont scrap the SIR R44s!!! those cars are awsome!! they go really fast and sound like R40s oh well....

but the SIR is getting modded R179s its already been siad that SIR will get R179s. I dont know where people is getting this Modified M8s stuff from. Its been said that the M8s wil be for metro north ONLY not anything for SIR....

Yes it would be awesome but I think it would be impratical do to the amount of the population expansion of that side of the island. Thay would need at least 2 cars to each one train and may be more, so the 5 car trains on the sirt would be plenty or even 4 car trains.

The North Shore Line, has been abandoned since August of 1953. The Line needs a TOTAL Reconstruction; No upgrades, no track repair. Just a total, 'Start from scratch deal'.

Well, if your putting light rail there, your gonna have to.

Putting anything there anyway needs to start from square one.

Ya, North Shore Line is gonna get worked on because the MTA was to do something with that line. They wanna try to run HBLR on there.

Do you or anybody else have any info on this, I think I remember the North Shore line vividly but I'm not too sure if its the same thing.

Do you or anybody else have any info on this, I think I remember the North Shore line vividly but I'm not too sure if its the same thing.

There isn't much about it, most is just talk. When HBLR was extended to 22nd Street in Bayonne, and then the plans for West 8th Street came out, talks of HBLR going over the Bayonne Bridge to run possibly on the North Shore line. And thats all its really been, talk.

HBLR is probably gonna go two ways once in SI, its either gonna go west, or go east to St George as you said. Now, I doubt the line would end up at St George, but there aren't any set plans or anything so it can would up anywhere. Hell, it can end up at Eltingville Transit Center or run down where the 122 use to run (I'm totally blank on the routing of the 122 in Staten Island right now). And no, I'm not talking about the 144, thats still around, and the S89 follows much of that route anyway.

• 4 months later...
NOOOOO dont scrap the SIR R44s!!! those cars are awsome!! they go really fast and sound like R40s oh well....

but the SIR is getting modded R179s its already been siad that SIR will get R179s. I dont know where people is getting this Modified M8s stuff from. Its been said that the M8s wil be for metro north ONLY not anything for SIR....

Well if the SIR R44 ever retire the few SIR R44 will be at the New York City Transit Mueseum.

In this picture the R40 really has a St. Geroge Sign and other SIR signs?

Does R40M,R42,R46,R68 and R68A has SIR sign also? :confused:

No... that was probably Photoshopped. The station sign to the right of the train says Brighton Beach which is in Brooklyn.

No train other than the SIR R44s have SIR destination signs.

No... that was probably Photoshopped. The station sign to the right of the train says Brighton Beach which is in Brooklyn.

No train other than the SIR R44s have SIR destination signs.

I know Brighton Beach was in Brooklyn. You know all the IRT subway cars have all rollsign routes. I know all BMT/IND subway cars have all rollsign routes also. I guess you are right about the SIRT rollsign,I guess it only have it on SIR R44.

• 2 weeks later...
If (NJT) HBLR was in fact extended from Bayonne into Staten Island via The Bayonne Bridge, and to the St George Ferry Terminal, Im sure this is what a Staten Island Rail Map would look like..

SIRailLines2.png

I heard the NJ Transit Rail will use also the other side of North Shore line and will use also the West Shore Line look at this

http://blog.silive.com/transportation_impact/2008/07/rail1chart.pdf