Oh BTW the Last R44 in Subway Service is...

RTOMan

Not really. We still have Boeing (losing to Airbus). We still have NASA, and we have Lockheed Martin building our countries fighter jets.

Boeing_747-8I_render_in_flight.jpg

Boeing 747-8

800px-Space_shuttles_Atlantis_%28STS-125%29_and_Endeavour_%28STS-400%29_on_launch_pads.jpg

The Space Shuttle

777px-Lockheed_F-35_Joint_Strike_Fighter.jpg

Lockheed F-35

There are some non positive things about them. Most of them are not built with American made parts. Some of their parts are made from other nations. They aren't considered pure American.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear R44's:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

BfM

*clicks the thanks button* (unavailable for me at the moment)

I agree, but hopefully they'll at least make it for another 4 years till I retire.

With good maintenance, they will.

With good maintenance, they will.

With the SMS now and the maintenance being done at Pitkin, they are becoming better cars. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but some of the R46s that have been coming back from SMS have very bright interior lights.

With the SMS now and the maintenance being done at Pitkin, they are becoming better cars. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but some of the R46s that have been coming back from SMS have very bright interior lights.

I've also noticed that a lot of the door chimes don't sound. What's up with that?

I've also noticed that a lot of the door chimes don't sound. What's up with that?

I'm not really sure. I know that on R46s thru R68s, the chime is a relay in the door circuitry unlike a pre-recorded sound like on a NTT. I never thought they were worth the trouble and maybe CED feels the same way and won't fix them since there are many more important things to look at. R44 and R46s are the only cars where I can remember not hearing the chime, I can't think of a time I was on an R62 or R68 that didn't have one.

These are cool images I found of the R44's being delivered. This is when they were new and foamed upon.

img_52670.jpg

img_52669.jpg

Also includes their first trips on the NYCS.

img_5678.jpg

img_5669.jpg

Thanks to these images I am sure that not all of the New York City Subway cars that were built came in seats that was perwinkle. They had cars with different colors seats too. Though now I am also curious why would they built seats in perwinkle, but when it came up to the R44/46/68/68A's they didn't come with perwinkle seats like the R143, R160A/B, and the R142/A.

Also, I've realized that the door chimes of the R-46 that do sound are more uniform. They used to vary from car to car like crazy. I remember one car that had the second note like two octaves lower than the first.

Hey guys remember the R44 setting a speed record on the LIRR track. Well this image might be it. The caption mentions it traveling on the LIRR track so it has to be traveling like 80 mph.

img_7650.jpg

Also this image shows the R44 with experimental carpeting

img_5708.jpg

In case they were R46's earlier I am sorry about that.

Archived