Oh BTW the Last R44 in Subway Service is...

RTOMan

Couldn't agree more. And love that post.

I lived on the (A) my entire life.

The R-44's pretty much were THE (A) along with the R38's.

Missed them sadly and ain't the same without them.

Thanks for the love bklyntekgeek. I agree with you completely at well. Another chapter has closed on the (A) and it's sad but honestly, it is what it is. I'm grateful for the memories that I had with them since 1984. They played a role in helping me become a subway buff so they hold a place near and dear to me. R44, cool trains that will be remembered forever.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the love bklyntekgeek. I agree with you completely at well. Another chapter has closed on the (A) and it's sad but honestly, it is what it is. I'm grateful for the memories that I had with them since 1984. They played a role in helping me become a subway buff so they hold a place near and dear to me. R44, cool trains that will be remembered forever.

Definitely agree with that statement. I have a wallpaper of the R-44 in a picture frame to remember them as well. A family photo of R-44's sitting at Rocakway Park Yard :P

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I'm Happy And Glad these Pile of junk is Retired off the Subway part of (MTA) and

Just WoooHooo! :cool:

Now only the SI cars remain.

Good riddance as well...

It introduced the 75-foot car, which led to compatibility issues with the Eastern Division.

It was falling apart.

It had P-wire issues, leading to the MTA wasting money when they had none anyway.

Theory goes that the acid washes in the 70s and 80s that the R44s went through caused their frames to deteriorate over the years.

Didn't the R46s go through them too?

Theory goes that the acid washes in the 70s and 80s that the R44s went through caused their frames to deteriorate over the years.

Yes, but the R46s are stainless steel around the frame. R44s have that Carbon steel strip. Look at the roof of the R42s - rusting away badly.

The strip didn't have as much to do with it as mush as the carbon steel frame itself did. Having said that, the strip probably didn't help matters much. According to the aforementioned theory, that [strip] was just a pathetic attempt by St Louis to decrease the weight of the cars.

The same theory also states that the (MTA) knew about it since the 80s, but didn't plan to keep the fleet beyond 2005.

I think every car from R10-R46 had an acid bath during that time period. Not 100% sure though. Have to look into it more. It probably is the reason why the redbirds were rusting by the late 1990s along with heavy use.
Yeah that sounds about right for those models,but I think for the R44/46 Acid baths were less common due to its stainless steel bodies.But yeah St.Louis Car really screwed up with the R44`s sheet metal.Is it me or did anyone else notice the R44`s sheet metal prior to retiring looked like crumbled up sheets pf Aluminum foil compared to an R46?:confused:

Yeah that sounds about right for those models,but I think for the R44/46 Acid baths were less common due to its stainless steel bodies.But yeah St.Louis Car really screwed up with the R44`s sheet metal.Is it me or did anyone else notice the R44`s sheet metal prior to retiring looked like crumbled up sheets pf Aluminum foil compared to an R46?:confused:

Thats was due to the car body twisting as they when down the road. Also a TSS working the (A) line said that an R44 was in service Monday, but there all gone now.

One cool thing I would love to see is an R-46 with the R-44's parts like the Brake Package, Propulsion and the glass dividers hehe.

That'll be a neat thing to see.

Couldn't happen. It would basically have to become an entirely separate car type because of the difference in brake pipe pressure between the R44's and R46's. Therefore in you scenario the "modified" R46's wouldn't be able to run with the regular R46's, they'd have to be their own car class.

Which also means qualifying crews and shop men on them (new classes obviously are not getting R44 qualified)...so...I'm sure you can see where this is going...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree they should keep a 4car set of 44's and a 4car set of 46's.But honestly If they have fan trips for these cars I think the 44's trip will make more money b\c many of us have not rode an R44 in more places then 46's such as Brighton,Concourse,QnsBlvd,WestEnd asa opposed to the 46 where Brighton,Concourse,West End.

Archived