Questions about becoming a conductor...

CTK246

1. What's the yearly salary?

Varies depending on how much you work. For a newbie without overtime it's around 36K. For someone at max pay without overtime it's 55K. The pay goes up each year for 3 years until you're maxed out. Overtime gets you more, and you'll get overtime.

2. What degree of education is required?

HS diploma by the date you are hired.

3. Could you give me some examples of the exam?

No, but it's reading comprehension, military time, NYC directions (with map), and common sense/courtesy. The next test will probably not be for a while (4 more years? that's an estimate) because the lists from the last round of testing are just now starting to get hired from again.

Throw in some landmark recognition as well... i.e. what boro is Yankee Stadium in etc etc. When I took mine there was a small subway map in the test itself with a few questions based from it. When I took the latest T/O test, that map was not there (albeit I took the promo test so there had some track iron questions thrown in at the end).

Throw in some landmark recognition as well... i.e. what boro is Yankee Stadium in etc etc. When I took mine there was a small subway map in the test itself with a few questions based from it. When I took the latest T/O test, that map was not there (albeit I took the promo test so there had some track iron questions thrown in at the end).

The track iron questions were on the open competitive too. The O/C and promotional tests are identical however the promotionals get priority in the hiring process, but the tests are the same.

1. What's the yearly salary?

2. What degree of education is required?

3. Could you give me some examples of the exam?

Any answers would be appreciated :P

After January 16, 2011 the top pay for Conductors will be 57,844.80/annually. With OT you could make 80k, not bad for opening and closing doors all day!

btw Do you need the 5 years experience for C/R like it is for T/O and is it also true that if you are a C/R and you apply for the T/O position, that you you get the priority over others that don't work for the MTA when they choose who gets the call?

If you already work for the MTA, you take the promotional exam, which gets called from first, before the Open Competitive Exam.

I thought I read somewhere on here that there is a higher turnover rate for C/O's then for T/O's, is that really so?

I believe so ... since C/Rs can promote to other positions: T/O, Tw/O, and ATD, that would result in a higher turnover compared with T/O's which can promote to TSS and T/D. With the downsizing of Tw/O and ATDs, I don't know whether that will effect how many C/Rs will have the option of promoting to those titles in the future.

Archived